• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Feeling anxious (female related)

Jemima37

Hello all,
Sorry for posting again and for repeating my fears but I just was sat resting in my room and found myself out of the blue in tears. All weekend things have been on my mind and I’ve come to the conclusion I’m a screw up and I feel ashamed of myself.

I have spoken on here before that my problems began at the end of 2012. I’d lost my grandmother in the July and in the September my brother chase me in his car and chased me into a police station where he assaulted me. His anger issues have been going on for a year, he attacked my husband the year before and he also was abusing his own partner and children. Because I wouldn’t forgive him for his violent actions for a second time my mother and sisters alienated me from the family but also hurled abuse at me via social media and messages for a good couple of years after. This all led to me suffering from agoraphobia, extreme social anxiety and anxiety.

In 2016 I started to suffer from extreme fatigue issues and I was told that it was all in my head and that I had depression by my GP. I didn’t feel depressed in the slightest and my doctor wouldn’t listen to me.

My GP became obsessed i could’ve cancer, diabetes, low sodium, low potassium .... and he would not stop repeating the same tests over and over again month after month. In the end he left and a new GP took over my care. She was so sorry for everything that I’d been through with the previous GP. She diagnosed me with trauma and CFS. She is a fantastic doctor and she told me to take some time off from medical tests because I told her that I was feeling quite traumatised by it all and she agreed. She also said she thought I had PTSD from what I’d been through with my family, which my therapist told me in 2016 too when she learned about my childhood and family issues later in life.

Then in late 2017 I after a much better year with the CFS I started to have panic attacks. I was having a few upsetting things happen in my life at the time, a friendship that I valued broke down and I wasn’t sure why. Losing my best friend without any explanation lead to me in 2018 having some kind of breakdown where I lost all faith in the world. I didn’t leave my house and I became very depressed for the first time in my life and bad panic attacks.

During 2018 my CFS became severe as a result of the panic attacks and I couldn’t shower, I couldn’t wash my hair, I couldn’t do any chores around the house not even cook for my own children (they were all teenagers). My husband became my carer and he took over my role in the home after a full day at work . I’m crying as I type this. It really was the worst year of my life and I never thought I’d ever come through it. I was having panic attacks that were lasting 12 hours at a time for months on end every single day. Last year was a much better year, I overcame the panic attacks and the depression lift a lot. I’m so relieved I got over that bad time mentally but I have ever since suffered anxiety higher than in the past and mild depression but at least I’m miles better than that awful year.

My CFS is now moderate but I still never get out of the house. The last time I went out was last spring when I went to the shops with my husband and another day for a drive in my car. I get into the garden sometimes now. It is all a bad combination of social anxiety, agoraphobia and most of all struggling to function due to CFS. I have to rest after 10 minutes on my feet because I become out of breath, feel flushed because my heart races. I guess they are pots type symptoms. This has just made me lose all my confidence in my own ability to be outside walking around, hence why I don’t go out.

I had severe social anxiety straight after the assault but I’d push myself, I do remember shaking talking to people and my heart would race just ordering a drink in a shop. It was hard but now it’s complete avoidance. I bet the postman thinks I’ve croaked it 😂 I won’t even answer the door.

After what happened in 2012 I did struggle with appointments but I would force myself to go as long as my husband was with me I could get through it. I used to cry during appointments sometimes because I’d be having severe anxiety during the appointment but I still go. I’d go to my smear test and take my husband, I go to blood test and take my husband, dentist etc as long as I had him with me I could do it. But the last two years I haven’t been able to even do things with my husband. I haven’t been to the dentist, opticians, see my GP, or my smear test. My GP obviously is aware of this and she speaks to me on the phone and my husband has been to see her to update on how I am and he does my medication reviews for me with her. She is very supportive and she understands I’ve been through so much and right now I just need time to work on myself after the last 2 years my world toppled down on me. She says I’d stayed strong for the 5 years after the attack for my children sake‘s but then after another upsetting thing happened a couple of years ago she said it was just her final nail in the coffin for me. She said that’s why I started to suffer anxiety much worse than before and the CFS was a result of all that stress.

I can cope with not going to dentist because I look after my teeth, I can cope not going to the opticians but I’m terrified that I haven’t been for my smear test. My last smear test was 4 years ago when I was 36. I recently turned 40. At the moment people I follow on Instagram constantly keep talking about make sure you go for your smear test, one woman saying she put it off 4 years and then when she went she had cancer. It’s sent me into sheer anxiety and tears this weekend and I’m now worried is that highly likely for me when I go and it’ll be longer than 4 years. Does this happen to everyone who puts it off?. Others talking about how most women end up with changing cells at some point in their lives that require treatment and a smear test could save you from early signs. I’m in the UK by the way. I’ve had to come off Instagram because I get really anxious when I see these women posting the stories. It’s made me so scared that it means every single woman in the world ends with abnormalities at some point even pre-cancerous. I’m terrified that something might be wrong with me and I don’t know, if I have ever get back to the doctors myself for an examination I’m scared it will be too late and I will be told I’m dying. Morbid I know but these thoughts are beating me up every day now.

My gp said to stop worrying about it. I was honest and told her I’d not had sex in 8/9 years (yes that’s bad I know but I’ve had a rough 8 years, sex has been the last thing on my mind lol). She said I’m low risk, I’ve had 2 sexual partners my whole life. I’m just worried as I take the contraceptive pill for heavy periods and have for 7 years now, I’m coming off it in a few months as they’ve stopped making my pill ( in the UK loestrin20) you can’t get it in any chemist anymore, and I can’t face changing and starting something different as I’m meds sensitive. My Gp says there is no other pill of that low a strength or with the same ingredients so back to suffering I will go which I will be honest is terrifying me at the thought of that on top of my CfS. Anyway what I meant was I read the pill increases your risk of cervical cancer so that’s worried me even more too.

I’m upset as I type this I didn’t realise how much it was upsetting me. It’s just made me think I’m such a screwup I don’t leave my home and I can’t do appointments. I only have my husband and my children in my life. I don’t have any family other than my Gran and I feel the worst granddaughter in the world because she’s 91 and I haven’t seen her for two years. My hubby and children visit her very often. Sometimes I just imagine I’m looking at myself thinking look at the state of you what kind of a mum and wife are you like this.

I’m sorry to post again I just didn’t realise how much I had bottled up this weekend. I’m just so upset that after the therapy I had that helped me deal with the anxiety that my family caused me in the past and all the trauma of my childhood I’d overcome, I’m struggling now with this. It’s so disheartening the last 2 years as I’m probably now dealing with more anxiety and at time’s depression, than I ever was. I’m just so angry with myself that I can’t force myself to go out to appointments or have someone to my home to do appointments, but my social anxiety and withdrawal from the world because of how much I was going through with the CFS, I just haven’t been able to push myself. It’s as though I just gave up on trust in the world and rubbish things just kept happening in my life. I just had to take time out if that makes sense.

I apologise this is very long and I’m sure many of you gave up reading it and I don’t blame you. I’m just feeling really anxious about the appointments I can’t yet force myself to do and I’m scared of the consequences of not doing them. Typing this is really hard because I’m so scared of people judging me and thinking that I’m a weird person or a bad mother and wife. I’m doing my best, but at the times I don’t recognise the person I’ve become because even after what happened to me with my family I still took my kids on holiday, and pushed myself out to do family things for my children’s memories despite my internal struggles. I hate myself that I can no longer do that for my kids and my husband. I’ve come a long way since I broke in 2018, I’m nowhere near that bad now CfS wise or anxiety wise. I’ve overcome so much with my Gp supporting me and my amazing family. I worked hard on myself with self help books and I did speak to a therapist in 2018 for extra support. Yet because I’ve not gone back to how much better I was in 2017 and how much I’ve changed these last 2 years compared to the other years after the attack, I’m beating myself up for it. My husband keeps telling me
he is seeing major progress in the last year, he says I’m nothing like how poorly I was with CfS, panic attacks and depression in 2018 and I agree with him but I feel that year just broke me.

Thank you if you got this far. I know I’m being annoying repeating myself. I’m just sat crying and beating myself up and I have no mum to turn to, sister or female friend to seek reassurance or a hug. It’s hard.

Ju

Last edited:

Wolfcub

Dear Jemima, I am so sorry you are feeling so low like this. It's fine to talk it out here. It helps, I am sure, to get your deepest worries "off your chest" in an environment where others can understand.

So -what is worrying you most? The smear test? Along with feeling you are failing your family....?

I don 't feel you are failing them. I think they can understand you are unwell in many ways. Yes I know it's not "perfect", like the perfect image of how a family ought to be....but you have done your best. And who is perfect anyway? I have never known a "perfect" family. But I do know that genuine love goes a long way, and love is always sensed by others.

When I look back I see many things I did or couldn't do, which put strain on my husband when he was alive. Or other things I did or didn't do and should have done concerning my parents.
But we can't be what we are not at that particular time. And if you are not well, you honestly are not to blame.

Could you speak to your GP? She sounds great. Could she maybe arrange for a district nurse to make a house call to give you the smear test under the circumstances? I don't know if a district nurse could do that, or if it would have to be a doctor....but maybe you could ask? It might be do-able. Your doctor does seem to understand the issues you have.

Whatever....we may not always have workable answers for you to help you, but we all here do understand and are here for you. Hugs....and my kind thoughts :hug::hug::bouquet:

wabi-sabi

@Jemima, you've been through so much terrible stuff. Sending you good thoughts and gentle hugs. I think @Wolfcub's suggestions are good about the smear test. In the US they are recommended every 5 years for a woman your age and it sounds like you are low risk for cervical cancer. Do you know if you had an HPV test with your last smear? It would be comforting if you were negative. But really, talking to your GP about this would be a good idea.

Are you able to get help for the PTSD? It sounds like that's just as painful as the ME/CFS for you. PTSD isn't your fault and it's not a character flaw and it's not in your head. It's not something you can wish or willpower away. And unlike ME/CFS there's actually treatment that can help. Not all therapists are BPS people. Some of them actually know what they are doing. :) Can a nurse come to your house for this? It might help with all the anxiety and feeling awful about yourself. That's part of it- you feel like you're awful even when you are perfectly lovely. Please take care of yourself as best you can. You are doing the very best you can in a difficult situation.

Jemima37

Dear Jemima, I am so sorry you are feeling so low like this. It's fine to talk it out here. It helps, I am sure, to get your deepest worries "off your chest" in an environment where others can understand.

So -what is worrying you most? The smear test? Along with feeling you are failing your family....?

I don 't feel you are failing them. I think they can understand you are unwell in many ways. Yes I know it's not "perfect", like the perfect image of how a family ought to be....but you have done your best. And who is perfect anyway? I have never known a "perfect" family. But I do know that genuine love goes a long way, and love is always sensed by others.

When I look back I see many things I did or couldn't do, which put strain on my husband when he was alive. Or other things I did or didn't do and should have done concerning my parents.
But we can't be what we are not at that particular time. And if you are not well, you honestly are not to blame.

Could you speak to your GP? She sounds great. Could she maybe arrange for a district nurse to make a house call to give you the smear test under the circumstances? I don't know if a district nurse could do that, or if it would have to be a doctor....but maybe you could ask? It might be do-able. Your doctor does seem to understand the issues you have.

Whatever....we may not always have workable answers for you to help you, but we all here do understand and are here for you. Hugs....and my kind thoughts :hug::hug::bouquet:
Thank you Wolfcub.

What I’m worrying about the most right now is the consequences of being overdue a smear test. Here in the UK theres such scaremongering on TV and people on Instagram always preaching home important it is and sharing stories that they had cancer when they didn’t go for four years and because its four years now since I last went it’s just made my anxiety go wild. People saying that most women end up with abnormal cells at some point and a smear test saves you from developing cancer so my anxiety is racing.

I did speak to my GP and she said they wouldn’t be able to do a smear test home because they need to see what they are doing. So she said for now try to relax and all I can do is try and work on myself physically and mentally but very slowly. She said there are more important things right now to focus on but she said she has to make me aware of the importance of a smear test, which of course I understand. She said I’m in a much better place than 2018 and that I’m slowly making progress with my energy levels and my anxiety. She understands that I have got severe social anxiety so even having someone out to the house is really difficult for me. Which I know sounds stupid, that I something that causes me huge anxiety. The thought of someone coming into my house to do a test or just to sit and chat causes me huge anxiety and yes that would cause a panic attack again. It’s my own fault for withdrawing.

I blame myself because I’ve withdrawn from the world last two years but when my CFS got really bad and I developed panic attacks, I didn’t know what else to do. I just withdrew from life and in 2018 all i really saw was my bedroom. I can now do chores around the house for 10 minutes at a time so I am slowly making progress physically. The anxiety is a million times better than it was a year ago and I’m no longer having panic attacks. I do suffer from panic attacks though, if I go through some stress though like I did in the summer when my uncle passed away suddenly. All that flares is now is social anxiety, if I’m outside and I think someone’s about to walk through the gate my anxiety racers and I can panic then. Ridiculous.

Thank you for replying to me it really means a lot and I am sorry that my post was so long. My past is rather complex when it comes to what caused my anxiety disorder and what I write here really is the short version of events hahaha.

Julie

Jemima37

@Jemima, you've been through so much terrible stuff. Sending you good thoughts and gentle hugs. I think @Wolfcub's suggestions are good about the smear test. In the US they are recommended every 5 years for a woman your age and it sounds like you are low risk for cervical cancer. Do you know if you had an HPV test with your last smear? It would be comforting if you were negative. But really, talking to your GP about this would be a good idea.

Are you able to get help for the PTSD? It sounds like that's just as painful as the ME/CFS for you. PTSD isn't your fault and it's not a character flaw and it's not in your head. It's not something you can wish or willpower away. And unlike ME/CFS there's actually treatment that can help. Not all therapists are BPS people. Some of them actually know what they are doing. :) Can a nurse come to your house for this? It might help with all the anxiety and feeling awful about yourself. That's part of it- you feel like you're awful even when you are perfectly lovely. Please take care of yourself as best you can. You are doing the very best you can in a difficult situation.
Oh, I’m not sure if they test hpv at a smear test here, I will have to find out. They vaccinate against it but that didn’t come in until I was older. My daughters been vaccinated now though.

I had therapy for ptsd for about 2-3 years after what happened with my brother and family. I had therapy in my twenties too. My version of my life here is the shortened version, yeh very long I know hahaha. My childhood wasn’t the best and that has shaped who I am today, but my anxiety was never as severe or debilitating until after the attack 7 years ago but eventually all caught up on me in 2018. I hope to try therapy again but it’s so draining, absolutely exhausting and having CfS it was hard on me. Plus the therapist didn’t understand CfS and just kept pushing me to go out, do exposure work and I was crashing. She then realised and said she thought talking therapy wasn’t for me as it’s re traumatising me discussing my last, which it was. Talking therapy isn’t always best for ptsd. I’d like to try emdr but I can’t until I see a therapist in person.

I fear I sound a freak and what people think when I’m so open about my struggles. I bet there’s no one ever that’s become as housebound or socially phobic as I am. I mean I can’t even have a doctor to my house or answer the door to the postman. I said to my hubby, I bet they’d lock me up and he laughed and said not at all because you’re completely calm, speak clearly and normally, you have a brilliant understanding of your mental health and already been diagnosed and reassured it’s all anxiety caused by trauma. He’s right but I always worry what people would think of me. Haha. My siblings all have mental health issues. My brother has BpD, OCD, anxiety and bipolar. My other sister is a mental health nurse and now can’t work due to panic attacks and stress. My younger sister is in rehab for drug addiction to cocaine and cannabis, as well as alcohol. She has recently been diagnosed with bipolar. She has to go to court to fight to keep her children. My mum is at her wits end with it all I’m told but she’s told my son she doesn’t blame me at all for never coming back to the family after what happened because it’s got worse, not better. I did right but the anxiety I’ve suffered because of their behaviours has been damaging since childhood. But I’ve done therapy to death so I just needed a break. I realise I probably sound like I need therapy still though but honestly I could not be bothered to drag up my past with a new therapist when I’ve dealt with it, it’s the after affects I need help with, the anxiety said of things but therapists always want to discuss the causes and that can be detrimental to someone with trauma and anxiety. I wish I could find a therapist who gets that lol.

Sorry for my long waffle and thank you for your kind reply to me. I’m so worried about the smear being so late and if I’m high risk.

Wolfcub

I fear I sound a freak and what people think when I’m so open about my struggles.
First....so sorry because I keep on calling you Jemima, and you're called Julie !:headslap:
I ddon't know anyone here who doesn't have struggles, thanks to this horrible ME/CFS. And many many people generally whether they have ME/CFS or not suffer anxiety, phobias, social anxiety, panic attacks etc
So there is NO way you are any kind of freak ! And being open about your struggles, in my opinion, is a good thing. You shouldn't keep all that pain tightly bottled up but express it among people who understand.
I bet there’s no one ever that’s become as housebound or socially phobic as I am.
It is more common than you might think. I myself might suffer from a very slight version of it, because though I like company and like to see friends, family etc, I can't stand too much of it at once. And that's not all down to ME/CFS because I was a little like that before. I find it incredibly stressful, and if anyone suddenly visits or knocks at my door -especially in the morning -my heart races and I can become a little bit shaky. (Okay with dogs though! Even though they can be just as demanding as humans in their own way lol):D
One great-aunt suffered with agoraphobia and never left the house for 25 years. She was so cheerful and friendly. We used to visit her. But she couldn't step one foot out of her door or she'd panic. Fortunately her husband helped her and understood. That started from a dizzy spell she once had walking down to post a letter. The dizziness passed but left her with the phobia.
But I’ve done therapy to death so I just needed a break. I realise I probably sound like I need therapy still though but honestly I could not be bothered to drag up my past with a new therapist when I’ve dealt with it, it’s the after affects I need help with, the anxiety said of things but therapists always want to discuss the causes and that can be detrimental to someone with trauma and anxiety. I wish I could find a therapist who gets that lol.
Yes I wish you could too....and perhaps you will? You may need someone who has "healing" more in mind than "facing the trauma". It sounds like you have already faced it and seen it clearly many times. I wonder if some kind of more "Spiritual" Counsellor might help?? To gently work with you to ease you through and out of the dreadful pain focusing on the more positive aspects.....I don't know. And Spiritual Counsellors vary of course, in what they are able to do and what their focus is. Plus it would be wise to find someone with a firm backing in psychology.

Jemima37

First....so sorry because I keep on calling you Jemima, and you're called Julie !:headslap:
I ddon't know anyone here who doesn't have struggles, thanks to this horrible ME/CFS. And many many people generally whether they have ME/CFS or not suffer anxiety, phobias, social anxiety, panic attacks etc
So there is NO way you are any kind of freak ! And being open about your struggles, in my opinion, is a good thing. You shouldn't keep all that pain tightly bottled up but express it among people who understand.

It is more common than you might think. I myself might suffer from a very slight version of it, because though I like company and like to see friends, family etc, I can't stand too much of it at once. And that's not all down to ME/CFS because I was a little like that before. I find it incredibly stressful, and if anyone suddenly visits or knocks at my door -especially in the morning -my heart races and I can become a little bit shaky. (Okay with dogs though! Even though they can be just as demanding as humans in their own way lol):D
One great-aunt suffered with agoraphobia and never left the house for 25 years. She was so cheerful and friendly. We used to visit her. But she couldn't step one foot out of her door or she'd panic. Fortunately her husband helped her and understood. That started from a dizzy spell she once had walking down to post a letter. The dizziness passed but left her with the phobia.

Yes I wish you could too....and perhaps you will? You may need someone who has "healing" more in mind than "facing the trauma". It sounds like you have already faced it and seen it clearly many times. I wonder if some kind of more "Spiritual" Counsellor might help?? To gently work with you to ease you through and out of the dreadful pain focusing on the more positive aspects.....I don't know. And Spiritual Counsellors vary of course, in what they are able to do and what their focus is. Plus it would be wise to find someone with a firm backing in psychology.
Thank you so much.

Haha, sorry. Yes I am Julie, my daughter is Jemima but I love her name more than mine. I wish it was my name as I loved it since I had a little doll when I was 4 and called her Jemima, I even thought of changing it to start a fresh properly away from my extended family that damaged me lol. I didn’t out of respect for my mum even though she hurt me, but I wish I had😉

Oh bless your auntie, it is so common, more than we realise inner. My Nanny I found out after she passed had an element of agoraphobia too. She couldn’t go into shopping centres or large shops and wa as proper home girl : my mum too is the same at time’s during her life. As long as your aunti was happy that’s all that matters and yes it takes something frightening to trigger it. I experienced similar to your auntie when our driving, first I stopped driving and then became too afraid to walk outside alone and then once that bad year hit in.2018 and the CfS was bad I stopped going out. I last went out last April to the shops and drive my car. My hubby and kids were so proud as I’d not left my bedroom much in a year haha.

Spiritual counselling does sound more up my street. Ok very into meditation, crystals etc

I just wish I could reassure myself that I’m in no grave danger not having love you smear test but I can’t seem to do that and I guess no one can 😞

Thank you for making me feel better about myself, you’re always so kind.

Julie

Last edited:

Revel

I’m not sure if they test hpv at a smear test here, I will have to find out.
I am in the UK also. The testing process has changed in recent years and now screening is primarily for HPV.

From the NHS website:

"In future, all samples will be checked for HPV first, and only checked for abnormal cells if HPV is found.

This is called HPV primary screening. HPV primary screening is more accurate than testing for abnormal cell changes first."

I went for my routine smear test last year and the nurse told me back then that screening has changed and samples are now being checked for HPV as above, so the NHS website is slightly behind the times (no surprise there).

Jemima37

I am in the UK also. The testing process has changed in recent years and now screening is primarily for HPV.

From the NHS website:

"In future, all samples will be checked for HPV first, and only checked for abnormal cells if HPV is found.

This is called HPV primary screening. HPV primary screening is more accurate than testing for abnormal cell changes first."

I went for my routine smear test last year and the nurse told me back then that screening has changed and samples are now being checked for HPV as above, so the NHS website is slightly behind the times (no surprise there).
Oh really. My last smear was 4 years ago so I’m not sure if they tested the hpv then? Maybe not.
My friends wife had her smear yesterday and the nurse said in the future they’re hoping women can do a home smear test and it’s something they’re working on. I wonder if that’s true. I said no they can let you do that to test for thrush but surely not a smear but she said the nurse said it. Hmmm

Jemima37

Jemima37

Thank you all for your support with this, my anxiety is still pretty high about it but as I can’t get to the doctors to get it done I have to accept it until I’m in a stronger place physically and mentally. I think because it’s been over 4 years since I last went my anxiety is wood and because I’m 40 now. I worry about cancer etc more.

Im still seeing women on Instagram talking about going for their smear test and risks of leaving it. Women saying they left it 4 years and had changed and needed treatment so if all terrifies me. My anxiety isn’t so good about it right now. I was ok at the 3 year mark but now it’s 4 it’s pretty wild.

My best friend said his wife was 3 years overdue so it had been 6 years since she went, life got hectic and she totally forgot to go and had other health issues with chronic pain. She was fine and she was in her 40s. So he tries to reassure me I’ve had 2 sexual partners in my life, not had sex at all in the last 9 years and had 2 smear tests during that time. I just wish I could feel reassured. I’m terrified when I do eventually test I will be close to cancer or actually have it with how these women talk about how most women get changes etc scary talk. I never thought it was that common to have abnormal results.

lenora

Hello all,
Sorry for posting again and for repeating my fears but I just was sat resting in my room and found myself out of the blue in tears. All weekend things have been on my mind and I’ve come to the conclusion I’m a screw up and I feel ashamed of myself.

I have spoken on here before that my problems began at the end of 2012. I’d lost my grandmother in the July and in the September my brother chase me in his car and chased me into a police station where he assaulted me. His anger issues have been going on for a year, he attacked my husband the year before and he also was abusing his own partner and children. Because I wouldn’t forgive him for his violent actions for a second time my mother and sisters alienated me from the family but also hurled abuse at me via social media and messages for a good couple of years after. This all led to me suffering from agoraphobia, extreme social anxiety and anxiety.

In 2016 I started to suffer from extreme fatigue issues and I was told that it was all in my head and that I had depression by my GP. I didn’t feel depressed in the slightest and my doctor wouldn’t listen to me.

My GP became obsessed i could’ve cancer, diabetes, low sodium, low potassium .... and he would not stop repeating the same tests over and over again month after month. In the end he left and a new GP took over my care. She was so sorry for everything that I’d been through with the previous GP. She diagnosed me with trauma and CFS. She is a fantastic doctor and she told me to take some time off from medical tests because I told her that I was feeling quite traumatised by it all and she agreed. She also said she thought I had PTSD from what I’d been through with my family, which my therapist told me in 2016 too when she learned about my childhood and family issues later in life.

Then in late 2017 I after a much better year with the CFS I started to have panic attacks. I was having a few upsetting things happen in my life at the time, a friendship that I valued broke down and I wasn’t sure why. Losing my best friend without any explanation lead to me in 2018 having some kind of breakdown where I lost all faith in the world. I didn’t leave my house and I became very depressed for the first time in my life and bad panic attacks.

During 2018 my CFS became severe as a result of the panic attacks and I couldn’t shower, I couldn’t wash my hair, I couldn’t do any chores around the house not even cook for my own children (they were all teenagers). My husband became my carer and he took over my role in the home after a full day at work . I’m crying as I type this. It really was the worst year of my life and I never thought I’d ever come through it. I was having panic attacks that were lasting 12 hours at a time for months on end every single day. Last year was a much better year, I overcame the panic attacks and the depression lift a lot. I’m so relieved I got over that bad time mentally but I have ever since suffered anxiety higher than in the past and mild depression but at least I’m miles better than that awful year.

My CFS is now moderate but I still never get out of the house. The last time I went out was last spring when I went to the shops with my husband and another day for a drive in my car. I get into the garden sometimes now. It is all a bad combination of social anxiety, agoraphobia and most of all struggling to function due to CFS. I have to rest after 10 minutes on my feet because I become out of breath, feel flushed because my heart races. I guess they are pots type symptoms. This has just made me lose all my confidence in my own ability to be outside walking around, hence why I don’t go out.

I had severe social anxiety straight after the assault but I’d push myself, I do remember shaking talking to people and my heart would race just ordering a drink in a shop. It was hard but now it’s complete avoidance. I bet the postman thinks I’ve croaked it 😂 I won’t even answer the door.

After what happened in 2012 I did struggle with appointments but I would force myself to go as long as my husband was with me I could get through it. I used to cry during appointments sometimes because I’d be having severe anxiety during the appointment but I still go. I’d go to my smear test and take my husband, I go to blood test and take my husband, dentist etc as long as I had him with me I could do it. But the last two years I haven’t been able to even do things with my husband. I haven’t been to the dentist, opticians, see my GP, or my smear test. My GP obviously is aware of this and she speaks to me on the phone and my husband has been to see her to update on how I am and he does my medication reviews for me with her. She is very supportive and she understands I’ve been through so much and right now I just need time to work on myself after the last 2 years my world toppled down on me. She says I’d stayed strong for the 5 years after the attack for my children sake‘s but then after another upsetting thing happened a couple of years ago she said it was just her final nail in the coffin for me. She said that’s why I started to suffer anxiety much worse than before and the CFS was a result of all that stress.

I can cope with not going to dentist because I look after my teeth, I can cope not going to the opticians but I’m terrified that I haven’t been for my smear test. My last smear test was 4 years ago when I was 36. I recently turned 40. At the moment people I follow on Instagram constantly keep talking about make sure you go for your smear test, one woman saying she put it off 4 years and then when she went she had cancer. It’s sent me into sheer anxiety and tears this weekend and I’m now worried is that highly likely for me when I go and it’ll be longer than 4 years. Does this happen to everyone who puts it off?. Others talking about how most women end up with changing cells at some point in their lives that require treatment and a smear test could save you from early signs. I’m in the UK by the way. I’ve had to come off Instagram because I get really anxious when I see these women posting the stories. It’s made me so scared that it means every single woman in the world ends with abnormalities at some point even pre-cancerous. I’m terrified that something might be wrong with me and I don’t know, if I have ever get back to the doctors myself for an examination I’m scared it will be too late and I will be told I’m dying. Morbid I know but these thoughts are beating me up every day now.

My gp said to stop worrying about it. I was honest and told her I’d not had sex in 8/9 years (yes that’s bad I know but I’ve had a rough 8 years, sex has been the last thing on my mind lol). She said I’m low risk, I’ve had 2 sexual partners my whole life. I’m just worried as I take the contraceptive pill for heavy periods and have for 7 years now, I’m coming off it in a few months as they’ve stopped making my pill ( in the UK loestrin20) you can’t get it in any chemist anymore, and I can’t face changing and starting something different as I’m meds sensitive. My Gp says there is no other pill of that low a strength or with the same ingredients so back to suffering I will go which I will be honest is terrifying me at the thought of that on top of my CfS. Anyway what I meant was I read the pill increases your risk of cervical cancer so that’s worried me even more too.

I’m upset as I type this I didn’t realise how much it was upsetting me. It’s just made me think I’m such a screwup I don’t leave my home and I can’t do appointments. I only have my husband and my children in my life. I don’t have any family other than my Gran and I feel the worst granddaughter in the world because she’s 91 and I haven’t seen her for two years. My hubby and children visit her very often. Sometimes I just imagine I’m looking at myself thinking look at the state of you what kind of a mum and wife are you like this.

I’m sorry to post again I just didn’t realise how much I had bottled up this weekend. I’m just so upset that after the therapy I had that helped me deal with the anxiety that my family caused me in the past and all the trauma of my childhood I’d overcome, I’m struggling now with this. It’s so disheartening the last 2 years as I’m probably now dealing with more anxiety and at time’s depression, than I ever was. I’m just so angry with myself that I can’t force myself to go out to appointments or have someone to my home to do appointments, but my social anxiety and withdrawal from the world because of how much I was going through with the CFS, I just haven’t been able to push myself. It’s as though I just gave up on trust in the world and rubbish things just kept happening in my life. I just had to take time out if that makes sense.

I apologise this is very long and I’m sure many of you gave up reading it and I don’t blame you. I’m just feeling really anxious about the appointments I can’t yet force myself to do and I’m scared of the consequences of not doing them. Typing this is really hard because I’m so scared of people judging me and thinking that I’m a weird person or a bad mother and wife. I’m doing my best, but at the times I don’t recognise the person I’ve become because even after what happened to me with my family I still took my kids on holiday, and pushed myself out to do family things for my children’s memories despite my internal struggles. I hate myself that I can no longer do that for my kids and my husband. I’ve come a long way since I cbroke in 2018, I’m nowhere near that bad now CfS wise or anxiety wise. I’ve overcome so much with my Gp supporting me and my amazing family. I worked hard on myself with self help books and I did speak to a therapist in 2018 for extra support. Yet because I’ve not gone back to how much better I was in 2017 and how much I’ve changed these last 2 years compared to the other years after the attack, I’m beating myself up for it. My husband keeps telling me
he is seeing major progress in the last year, he says I’m nothing like how poorly I was with CfS, panic attacks and depression in 2018 and I agree with him but I feel that year just broke me.

Thank you if you got this far. I know I’m being annoying repeating myself. I’m just sat crying and beating myself up and I have no mum to turn to, sister or female friend to seek reassurance or a hug. It’s hard.

Ju
Hi ju...We all have terrible troubles that we have to face in life. If your mother and sister join in this tact, then you may want to discuss this with the Psychiatrist at a future appt., when you're calmer. Yes, you may lose relationships along the way, that's part of the way of life, but then you'll have new ones and the past won't weigh as heavily upon you. It sounds like your mother/sister are what's referred to as enablers, and want you to join their ranks. I would hold onto everything until you've had a chance tod discuss it with your psychiatrist. This is exactly what I would do if I found myself in your shoes...and I have. My neurologist now handles everything for me, another relationship that began when we were very young and has seen both of us age tremendously. You wonder what happens with time, at least I do.

My husband's from Bath; where do you hail from? My mother was from London. So I've known both sides of the pond my entire life. He still speaks with a British accent and i realized that the TV shows we watch were only contributing to it. It's a bit late to stop now, besides, we wouldn't want to. I'm American right down to the tips of my toes. Although I love (rather loved) taking off for the UK as much as possible. Yours, Lenora.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rebeccare

Moose Enthusiast
Thank you all for your support with this, my anxiety is still pretty high about it but as I can’t get to the doctors to get it done I have to accept it until I’m in a stronger place physically and mentally. I think because it’s been over 4 years since I last went my anxiety is wood and because I’m 40 now. I worry about cancer etc more.
This is one of those awful fears that keeps popping up like a jack-in-the-box no matter how hard you try to stuff it back in! I think everyone has at least one big recurring fear, and this one happens to be one of yours. And I can appreciate why you have this fear--I never used to worry about big scary medical issues when I was younger, but now that I'm slowly getting older these things are on my mind much more. I'm glad that you feel comfortable writing about your fears here. It's nice to get support from others, plus it's good to be able to talk about your fears and not just hold them inside. Mr. Rogers said once:
Anything that’s human is mentionable, and anything that is mentionable can be more manageable. When we can talk about our feelings, they become less overwhelming, less upsetting, and less scary. The people we trust with that important talk can help us know that we are not alone.

It sounds like you have the right attitude--you can't do anything about this right now, but you're slowly working towards the goal of eventually going to the doctor. And it sounds like you've made so much progress in the past year, even though there have been setbacks along the way.

lenora

YoWow! Do you know if they're available here yet. I won't go through the screenings any longer, b/c I have l have no iimmune system left. Before that I was diligent about having my screenings done. You'll have your screenings done one your basic problem is taken care of. Stop worrying about everything at once and take one thing at a time.

Don't be scared, just patiently wait. You'll feel stronger and will undergo them then. Isn't there a support group near where you live in the UK? I'll bet there is, things are so much closer there. I don't mean that we won't help you, but you want to make friends anyway. We'll be here right by your side until you're strong again...and you will be, you have to have faith in this.

You want to cast your mind elsewhere as much as possible. Yes, you can rent some movie to watch with your hubby. Try to establish a routine as much as possible...it will help you. I found the AA Handbook a great help to me when I first had anxiety....I was probably 42 at the time. I was able to get myself out of it, but then I had 3 rounds of shingles, one right after the other, and that just tipped me over. meditation...I used to be so good at it and for some reason I let it go. Stupid of me, I'll say that upfront.

OK, Julie, you'll once again, you'l feel better. Hold onto that hope. I find a comforter of some special material helps me calm down, or a small teddy bear that my other daughter bought for me. I do wish we had a Queen-sized bed instead of the King we had to buy...just touching my husband helped. As far as sex goes, perhaps that will return to normal once you're off the pill and have adjusted to other meds. You're husband obviously cares for and loves you.

OK....it must be about 7:00 p.m. there; make a list of things to do tomorrow. I know you'll feel better. Yours, Lenora. xp

Last edited by a moderator:

Rufous McKinney

The anxiety is a million times better than it was a year ago and I’m no longer having panic attacks. I do suffer from panic attacks though, if I go through some stress

That sounds like considerable improvement...that could be encouraging...

I"ve been dealing with considerable anxiety...that started really intensifying when I hit pre-menopause....hormones changing and sleep disruption expanded and too much stress at work.

Panic attacks were so awful..and often I didn't understand what was going on...but I then developed the general aversion to- going out...where the awful feelings become overwhelming. So things shift to an anxiety rather than panic.

I haven't had a smear in 10 years and don't even lose sleep over it. So we seem to pick and choose- things to get concerned about.

lenora

Yes, I went into an early menopause at age 42. I'm still waiting to return to "normal"(as if I'd remember what that felt like!) although I feel better this year than I have in others. One daughter's going through it now and the other is just beginning to feel sluggish. I can't believe that my daughters are at that point, but then again, we all age, don't we?

Jemima37

That sounds like considerable improvement...that could be encouraging..
I haven't had a smear in 10 years and don't even lose sleep over it. So we seem to pick and choose- things to get concerned about.
Has your doctor shown any concern about you not having your smear for so long? How often do they test where you live? I’m 40 and here its every 3 years.

Jemima37

Yes, I went into an early menopause at age 42. I'm still waiting to return to "normal"(as if I'd remember what that felt like!) although I feel better this year than I have in others. One daughter's going through it now and the other is just beginning to feel sluggish. I can't believe that my daughters are at that point, but then again, we all age, don't we?
I started with horrendous panic attacks in 2018, I’d have huge panic attacks that lasted 12 hours every day. I’d have hot flushes with the attacks and I was waking up in the mornings in a sweat. I spoke to my GP but she said it wasn’t menopause at 38. That all stopped after about 9 months and calmed right down. I had depression too that year.

Wow it was a very hard year, I was so unwell with panic attacks and depression and then the CfS returned worse than ever. I’m on the pill for very heavy periods and I have to come off it in a few months as they’ve stopped manufacturing it here in the UK which has been so worrying as I can’t face going back to my heavy periods. I have very light periods on the pill. I am dreading it. It’s worked wonders for me and stopped all the pain they caused me.
I guess I wouldn’t know if I’d hit menopause being on the pill lol. I’m 40 now so I guess it’s the time to come off it but I was reassured it’s a safe low dose one I could take a while. I’ve been on it 7 years and now being forced off so we shall see.