• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

FDA: People with neurological conditions should avoid mercury dental fillings

Wishful

A high urine output of mercury might be a good sign: that your mercury-removal system is working well. A high level in serum would be more worrisome. I wonder if there's a scanning technique that measures mercury atom levels in the whole body; a measurement of mercury levels in the brain or other organs would be more informative than what's leaving the body.

When I looked at the microgram/mg results it didn't seem that high as some values I could find with google (in contrast to the percentile).

There's an art to convincing people to some desired belief through dramatic-looking but misinformative graphs. I agree with looking for an independent interpretation of the results. Maybe there's a forum somewhere that has experts who do answer such questions. I'm not sure how much to trust the instructors at medical schools, but If you could post your question--maybe through someone you know--to a forum where the students discuss things, you might get a better idea of what the rest results mean or don't mean.

I've encountered anecdotal stories about how people have had all their amalgams removed and felt much better afterwards, but I expect that most of those people had strong beliefs that the removal would have that effect (they wouldn't have gone through the expense and hassle otherwise), so the placebo effect would be strong. I've also encountered stories from people who strongly regretted having their amalgams removed, because their health worsened. Personally, I've got plenty of mercury in my mouth, and I don't plan on having it removed.

Rvanson

Another way is to flood your body with zinc over a few months. The zinc will help to offset any attachment of mercury to the body. Of course, it will not have any effect on vapor when the mercury is removed.

IThinkImTurningJapanese

There's an art to convincing people to some desired belief through dramatic-looking but misinformative graphs.

True, it's also quite artful to misinform people by creating an illusion of consensus. Of course, there are multitudes of ways to deceive.

The beauty of public forums such as this, is that people are relatively free to challenge ideas and hopefully come to some sort of competent understanding of the science behind them.

Yes, having a high mercury urine output seems like a good thing, but it also shows that mercury actually is an additional burden (if the test is to be believed). I might as well do it, if just to move forward and have my doctor look at other things.

Good tip for the zinc. Thanks. Currently my doctor prescribes porphyra-zyme (something herbal/homepathic + vitamine C), but says he will add something when I finally would do it. I don't expect removing my mercury fillings will make me worse, but I will definitely load up with everything I know that can help (chorella, zinc, maybe ALA, etc.). I just keep postponing...

The beauty of public forums such as this, is that people are relatively free to challenge ideas and hopefully come to some sort of competent understanding of the science behind them.
Exactly, although certainty is not a luxury we have unfortunately.

Yes, having a high mercury urine output seems like a good thing, but it also shows that mercury actually is an additional burden (if the test is to be believed). I might as well do it, if just to move forward and have my doctor look at other things.

Good tip for the zinc. Thanks. Currently my doctor prescribes porphyra-zyme (something herbal/homepathic + vitamine C), but says he will add something when I finally would do it. I don't expect removing my mercury fillings will make me worse, but I will definitely load up with everything I know that can help (chorella, zinc, maybe ALA, etc.). I just keep postponing...

Exactly, although certainty is not a luxury we have unfortunately.
There are numerous reports on the "Facebook Andy Cutler chelation" page of people really siffering from taking ALA. I don't know how to feel about this, it's a terrible Facebook page in the sense that completely unqualified people are dishing out all sorts of advice. Supposedly cilantro and ALA are the only agents that cross the blood brain barrier. Cutler (now deceased) suggests people microdose ALA every 4 hours and gradually increase the dose, those that increase too quickly report Multisystemic symptoms, but I'm dubious this isn't a nocebo effect. Again I just don't know but I'd be very very cautious. I decided not to follow this advice and my endocrinologist who examining me made it super clear chelation causes more issues than its worth. Anyway, be super careful is what all I'm saying