• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

FDA approves new type of sleep drug, Belsomra

geraldt52

How would you compare it to Ambien/Lunesta?
In terms of effectiveness, I would definitely say the benzos are first, Ambien/Lunesta second but still fairly reliably effective, and Belsomra a distant third.

In terms of the day to day side effects, I would again say the benzos are first with very few side effects (for me), Ambien/Lunesta second with tolerable side effects, Belsomra third, with unbearable side effects (for me).

Don't take that as an endorsement of benzos, as I consider regular use of benzos to be extremely risky...and I have no doubt that Klonopin made my life horribly worse than it would be otherwise. Still, when I absolutely have to take something, because I have to do something the next day, I take Ativan...but absolutely never for more than one day. And, I nearly always pay for that with rebound insomnia for a few days. I might take Ativan 4 or 5 times a year.

Ambien/Lunesta supposedly aren't as bad as the benzos from a habituation standpoint, but that wasn't my experience. The Besomra was every bit as bad.

Soundthealarm21

Been a while since I've been in this thread but have you ever tried clonidine? That stuff knocks me out night after night. I take .2mg of clonidine, 25mg of Trazadone, and 1-2 mg of melatonin sublingual.

geraldt52

Been a while since I've been in this thread but have you ever tried clonidine? That stuff knocks me out night after night. I take .2mg of clonidine, 25mg of Trazadone, and 1-2 mg of melatonin sublingual.
I assume your question was to me, Soundthealarm21.

I'm really not in the market for any more sleep drugs, I'm done with them, but I never tried clonidine. I was only interested in Belsomra because of the novel way in which it works, which I had high hopes for. The antidepressants were useless for me, and taking melatonin every day gives me horrible sinus irritation. Interestingly enough, taking Belsomra several days in a row also gave me horrible sinus irritation...I had forgotten to mention that in the earlier post.

heyitisjustin

So, after a year and a half of trying to find a way to use Belsomra, I am accepting defeat. Below are just a few of my experiences, if it helps anyone else. By way of background, I've had weapons-grade insomnia for over 15 years, the result of habituation to, then withdrawal from Klonopin.

How long did you take belsomra for? I am worried about tolerance and other long term affects. Did you notice any tolerance?

heyitisjustin

I use 15 MG of Belsomra every other night and have not developed tolerance. It works well for me.
I seem to have histamine intolerance (essentially I react to high histamine foods like fermented foods and fish). Orexin is implicated in raising histamine. Did you notice anything in this regard?

I kind of hate the idea of prescriptions, especially things with little history, but at this point I probably either need this an antidepressant or an antihistamine

perchance dreamer

Hmm, @heyitisjustin. Belsomra blocks orexin, so I don't think it would have a histamine effect. At any rate, I haven't noticed anything like that with Belsomra use.

Does your nose work well? Getting the sinus and nasal surgery I needed has helped my sleep more than anything other than getting on methyl donors. I learned that if you don't breathe well through your nose you won't sleep well, either, because the sympathetic nervous system is kept overactive through the night in that case.

I have SEVERE insomnia. So, for the last year and a half I've been taking a cocktail of three sleep meds, so as not to develop a tolerance to any one of them. I take Ambien two nights a week, Trazodone three nights a week, and Belsomra two nights a week. The Belsomra is hit-and-miss. I must take it with one doxylamine succinate (the ingredient in Sominex, I think) in order for it to work. I haven't developed a tolerance to it. This cocktail is not sustainable in the long run, but it sure beats zero to two hours of sleep without it.

geraldt52

How long did you take belsomra for? I am worried about tolerance and other long term affects. Did you notice any tolerance?
I "experimented" with the Belsomra over the course of about a year and a half. I never intended to use it everyday, only using it when I absolutely had to sleep because of something I had to do the next day. Having been through Klonopin withdrawal, I am extremely anti-sleep-med...never again for me.

Just once, I took the Belsomra 3 days in a row, and I already noticed a tolerance developing. Toward the end of my experimenting Belsomra it also became obvious I was having sinus/throat issues because of it, likely related to effects on histamine. I have the same problem with melatonin.

As I said earlier in the thread, and in spite of what the manufacturer claims, Belsomra appeared to have all the same issues as other sleep meds, and didn't work very well besides. When I absolutely have to sleep, I take Ativan, but I never, ever take it more than one day at a time, and never more than once a month.

heyitisjustin

Hmm, @heyitisjustin. Belsomra blocks orexin, so I don't think it would have a histamine effect. At any rate, I haven't noticed anything like that with Belsomra use.

Does your nose work well? Getting the sinus and nasal surgery I needed has helped my sleep more than anything other than getting on methyl donors. I learned that if you don't breathe well through your nose you won't sleep well, either, because the sympathetic nervous system is kept overactive through the night in that case.
I had a deviated septum, but I got the surgery too. It didn't seem to help me too much