• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Eye movements may be key to chronic fatigue syndrome diagnosis

SWAlexander

25 March 2022

Oculomotor testing in the lab.
A Monash Central Clinical School scientist has been awarded $180,000 over three years to develop a way to help diagnose myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS).

Associate Professor Joanne Fielding, from the Department of Neuroscience, is being funded by the Judith Jane Mason & Harold Stannet Williams Memorial Foundation (the Mason Foundation) through Equity Trustees to conduct a project identifying objective behavioural markers for this debilitating disorder. Associate Professor Fielding is working with Dr Scott Kolbe and Dr Meaghan Clough , both from the Department, and co-investigator Dr Chris Armstrong from the University of Melbourne on the project.

An enigmatic disorder, ME/CFS is characterised by extreme tiredness, pain and a range of other symptoms. Remarkably, there is currently no reliable way to diagnose it and to objectively monitor the effect of treatment in people with the disorder.

“You can’t directly measure ME/CFS at the moment. A clinician’s role is to essentially eliminate other potential causes for the constellation of symptoms,” Associate Professor Fielding said. “While there are some suggested diagnostic criteria there are no formal criteria.

“What we’re trying to do is generate a unique ME/CFS signature based on characteristic changes to eye movements, a behaviourial signature that is specific to the disorder that can be used to help diagnose it and monitor the effects of any treatments.”

Associate Professor Fielding and her team will develop the clinically useful test using ocular-motor, machine learning and neuroimaging techniques.

“We’re using video-oculography, which is basically high-powered cameras that record the eye movements in response to a set of simple stimuli on the screen.

“People with ME/CFS are typically extremely fatigued – we need something very quick that gives a snapshot of how they’re performing.”

Participants in the study can be tested in the lab or in their own homes with a portable eye-tracker – helpful to someone with such a disabling disorder.

Associate Professor Fielding said the research might also give the scientists clues about what might be happening neuropathologically in ME/CFS.

“Tentatively, what we’ve found already looks like a set of aberrant eye movements that suggest that something might be going on at the level of the brain stem – but it’s early days and that’s at best, speculative,” she said.

https://www.monash.edu/medicine/new...-be-key-to-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-diagnosis

Wishful

The problem is that it will probably turn out that PWME have some vision abnormalities, but generally different: one has blurry vision, one has convergence problems, another has jerkiness. I expect it will be "Yes, many PWME have abnormalities, but it's too inconsistent to form a diagnostic tool."

Rufous McKinney

but generally different: one has blurry vision, one has convergence problems, another has jerkiness

thats not my sense of what they are looking at....I have autoimmune eye problems, will need cataract surgery someday, have lists of eye issues.

This is about exertion and neurological the brain fatiguing and I think its brilliant and very exciting.

As Cort described: (and thanks, @SlamDancin )....

"The tool may even be able to pick up the early fatigability and exertion intolerance that occurs as the eyes (and brains) of people with ME/CFS tire over time. Thus far, Armstrong is finding, in contrast to healthy controls, that the eyes of people with ME/CFS get worse over time at following that dot – leading to the possibility that the Ocular Motor Project could lead to the first easy test for exertion intolerance."

Is there nothing left untouched by this illness?!

Very aptly put as this illness seems to know no bounds.
If there is something to this concept, it would cause me to lean towards a hypothesis similar to the Midbrain Ascending Arousal Network which I believe was just recently posted.
Since ME/CFS may have numerous causes, perhaps a subset could be identified by this test.

Nanni

When is Chris Armstrong going to publish something. A year ago he promised several studies to be released in just a few months time but one year later he has just published 1 paper, and it wasnt particularly interresting. Whats going on with the nitrogen hypothesis research that he has been talking about for years but no paper.

Many researchers are hyping up what they are doing but no delivery.

Rufous McKinney

I recently discovered that side to side eye movement can trigger neck pain

that test would make me get sick as heck...as I have huge eye problems.

Like to turn right at this one intersection that has an odd angle, I have to look left really intensely and literally I've felt physical damage from doing so. I don't ever drive over there any longer, making the tturn is too hard.

If asked to follow something around I'd really give out quickly.

I can't watch soccer/football.

Husband of

Anyone have slow eyes before MECFS? My wife did, slow to refocus, couldn't follow balls moving and such as well as most people. Eye test doctors said her eyes were fine apart from that

lint7

Am I the only one who thinks this is a waste of money? Give a lab the same amount of money to look for trypanosomes in tissue samples and it would be much better spent.

Rufous McKinney

This is about coming up with a simple diagnostic that can be executed in a doctors office without a ton of effort.

Its not about causes or cures. Bedbound patients can do this without leaving the bed room etc.

Wishful

I agree with Rufous: I think there are plenty of people who would benefit considerably by an actual clinical test that would get them better health care and disability benefits.

I haven't heard anything suggesting trypanosomes are involved with ME, or that they would be all that hard to find if someone did look. Surely some doctors have already done those tests, since 'fatigue' is a major symptom.

lint7

Wishful

Maybe someone has investigated, not found any trace, and didn't think it was worth publishing? I expect there are lots of hypotheses that get investigated enough to convince the researcher that it's not worth pursuing. It would probably be useful if there was a list somewhere that researchers could post their ideas and "checked it but didn't find supporting evidence to make it worthwhile to continue".

I may be wrong, but checking for parasites seems fairly simple, and thus in the "checked it but didn't find any" category. However, I did just post a link to a discovery about a vast but never noticed before branch of the tree of life, so do the infection/parasite tests work on life from that branch?