• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

EBV/HHV-6A dUTPases contribute to Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic-Fatigue-Syndrome pathophysiology by enhancing TFH cell differ... (Cox et al, 2022)

EBV/HHV-6A dUTPases contribute to Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic-Fatigue-Syndrome pathophysiology by enhancing TFH cell differentiation and extrafollicular activities

Authors
Brandon S. Cox, Khaled Alharshawi, Irene Mena-Palomo, William P. Lafuse, Maria E. Ariza

Abstract

Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) is a chronic, debilitating multisystem illness of unknown etiology for which there is no cure and no diagnostic tests available. Despite increasing evidence implicating EBV and human herpesvirus-6A (HHV-6A) as potential causative infectious agents in a subset of ME/CFS patients, there are few mechanistic studies to address a causal relationship. In this study we examined a large ME/CFS cohort (n=351) and 77 controls and demonstrate a significant increase in activin A and IL-21serum levels, which correlated with seropositivity for antibodies to the EBV and HHV-6 protein deoxyuridine-triphosphate nucleotidohydrolase (dUTPase), but not CXCL13. These cytokines are critical for T follicular helper (TFH) cell differentiation, generation of high-affinity antibodies and long-lived plasma cells. Notably, ME/CFS serum was sufficient to drive TFH cell differentiation via an activin A-dependent mechanism. The lack of simultaneous CXCL13 increase with IL-21 indicates impaired TFH-function in ME/CFS. In vitro studies revealed that virus-dUTPases strongly induced activin A secretion while in vivo, EBV-dUTPase induced the formation of splenic marginal zone B and invariant NKTFH cells. Altogether, our data indicate abnormal germinal center (GC) activity in ME/CFS subjects and highlight a mechanism by which EBV and HHV6-dUTPases may alter GC and extrafollicular Ab responses.

The study: https://insight.jci.org/articles/view/158193

SlamDancin

I remember looking into Activin a while back but otherwise this one is completely over my head. Very cool though, good find @Consul . I have marginally increased HHV6 titers.

Boba

There is a graphical abstract in there that i find quite helpful. My understanding is that some herpes viruses are pouring out viral proteins that cause immune dysfunction, perhaps by chronically stimulating the immune system.
Thank you. The big question than again is if this chronic stimulation is the cause for our problem right?