• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does anyone else experience most of their fatigue in the afternoon?

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
Circadian rhythm doesn't impact cortisol level only,

between 11AM and 2 PM Orexin decreases in the brain, Melatonin raises in the brain, Blood Pressure decreases, Histamine and Dopamine raise in the brain.

My brain fog is related to a sleepy state, and it clearly picks very quickly after 11 AM.

Low Dopamine is associated with restless legs, headache, hyperalgesia/allodynia, which I have all so I know it's a problem for me.

If I take Methylphenidate in the morning, my pain drops immediately and I can be awake for 3 hours.
But after 11 AM, I need twice the morning dose to stay awake and fight the sleepiness/brain fog/headache/pain state.

View attachment 41101

View attachment 41102

Frontiers | Plasma Orexin-A Levels Do Not Undergo Circadian Rhythm in Young Healthy Male Subjects | Endocrinology (frontiersin.org)

View attachment 41103

this graph is from a schizophrenia study, but I took it to show the lowest Dopamine at 12 AM

Schizophrenia: the role of sleep and circadian rhythms in regulating dopamine and psychosis in: Reviews in the Neurosciences Volume 27 Issue 7 (2016) (degruyter.com)

Melatonin doesn't get going until 9PM. The psychosis correlation is very interesting. At one point pre ME I was getting panic attacks at night for months during a period of depression caused by a life crisis. Maybe it was related to the low dopamine from the circadian rhythm.

Last edited:

Wishful

I usually start feeling abruptly worse in the afternoon, and that lasts until sometime in the evening. After my last trip to town, the abrupt increase in symptoms at 4:40 PM was much stronger than usual. I continued to feel worse the following day, and again, the worsening at 4:40 PM was much stronger than usual. The next day I was back to normal ME, and the afternoon increase was fairly low: too low to really tell when it started.

I'm pretty sure that the effect following the drive was cerebrally-induced PEM, and thus there's a link between PEM and the daily fluctuations in ME symptom severity. Could those of you who suffer from these daily fluctuations pay attention to whether they are more severe when you're experiencing PEM, and report here? If there is a correlation, the researchers might be able to follow up on it.

jess100

I'm lying down, almost always. the back of the head hurts and burns, the inguinal lymph nodes hurt, the legs are wadded. I am ill for 3 years and 4 months. infected through a kiss.
Hi Can you say how you know you were infected with a kiss? I ask because I got sick and a while later my then boyfriend got sick -and he was by then in another country. We suspect I gave it to him-but want to know more to talk with our doctor. Can you please tell me more about this? And have they ruled out Epstein-Barr ?

Melatonin doesn't get going until 9PM. The psychosis correlation is very interesting. At one point pre ME I was getting panic attacks at night for months during a period of depression caused by a life crisis. Maybe it was related to the low dopamine from the circadian rhythm.
I usually feel my worst from 5PM-11PM. I feel ok from 11AM-4PM, and from 11PM-2AM. So strange.

Hi Can you say how you know you were infected with a kiss? I ask because I got sick and a while later my then boyfriend got sick -and he was by then in another country. We suspect I gave it to him-but want to know more to talk with our doctor. Can you please tell me more about this? And have they ruled out Epstein-Barr ?

the Epstein-Barr virus is not at all to blame. I had a lover, I did not have sex with him, he turned out to be HIV positive, as I later learned. Yes, I kissed him passionately, I liked it. but from the first day it happened, my face lit up, my throat ached sharply. And then it went - went, all as in the acute stage of HIV infection. But I have HIV minus three years already! Yes, I gave all the trust, none of them showed titers of M. Which means I moved them earlier. Forget about herpes it's a different pathogen!

What is the reason for feeling absolutely awful between 4pm-11pm? It's like my whole body is "depressed" at 4pm. My breathing is shallow, my heart feels like it is not even able to beat properly, I can't even move, I feel dizzy and faint when I try to stand up, and when I move just a little bit my heart begins to race. My eyes stare into space and don't even blink and I can barely tell I am alive, I have no idea what I am thinking about! Then, exactly around 11 I wake up a bit and "come into myself." I become more normal ––although still tired. This sub-world is like insane brain fog, adrenal insufficiency, and cardiac failure all combined.

It feels like Addison's disease or a cortisol issue, but it happens at weird patterns. Why get "better" again so late at night?

I have had episodes of this many times last year but it dissipated for like, 4 months and I felt good, and now it is back again. The only difference I can really point to is that since it is winter I have been getting less sun, so low vitamin D?

Could those of you who suffer from these daily fluctuations pay attention to whether they are more severe when you're experiencing PEM, and report here? If there is a correlation, the researchers might be able to follow up on it.

Yes, they are more severe for me. However, it is the morning that is always the worst for me (and a good predictor of a PEM day). I believe my 1-hour-long afternoon crashes are due to the lunch I have at noon, however, those crashes are also worse on PEM days. In both cases, in the morning and in the afternoon, I cannot stay awake or at least reaaaally have to force myself when in PEM. (I'm the hypersomniac type.)