• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dietary changes - what's your experience ?

Azayliah

@Azayliah Do you prefer any particular type of white rice(Long grain, short grain sticky, jasmine). I was reading people with SIBO/IBS may do better on starches that contain more amylopectin (Sticky glutinous rice) compared to the resistant starch forming amylose (Long grain Basmati).
I use basmati and make sure the rice is very soft. I find short grain extremely nauseating.

xploit316

I use basmati and make sure the rice is very soft. I find short grain extremely nauseating.

Thank you @Azayliah. Lastly how do you do with starches (except for rice)? Is there a preferred starch source you go for or are you still doing low potassium foods only. I seem to not tolerate starchy root veggies anymore especially potatoes (get depression, neurological issues, night vision issues). Not sure if its the starch or potassium since I peel them and boil them thoroughly.

Wishful

especially potatoes (get depression, neurological issues, night vision issues). Not sure if its the starch or potassium since I peel them and boil them thoroughly.

There's also the solanine, which I'm quite sensitive too. I can't even enjoy potato chips anymore. :( I tried a 'gluten free' flour which contained potato starch, and that triggered my symptoms too.

xploit316

@Wishful I tried the high amylopectin variety of waxy purple potatoes thinking they would not cause symptoms, boy was I wrong. Ended up with bad post meal fatigue, nausea and some joint issues. I may have to divorce potatoes for good, albeit with a heavy heart.

Azayliah

Thank you @Azayliah. Lastly how do you do with starches (except for rice)? Is there a preferred starch source you go for or are you still doing low potassium foods only. I seem to not tolerate starchy root veggies anymore especially potatoes (get depression, neurological issues, night vision issues). Not sure if its the starch or potassium since I peel them and boil them thoroughly.
I usually stick to white bread because the more processed stuff has less fiber, but will throw in a whole-grain roll every week or so. I have to rip most of the stuffing out of white rolls or use very airy sliced white bread, and can tolerate homemade tortillas (my carer makes them out of oil, flour, and water).

I read somewhere that potatoes don't carry as much starch as grains (four, rice, corn), they just have more than other vegetables. But they also seem to have the most potassium of everything, and blanching them still leaves them with a lot. I find that eating them correlates to increased motor issues (slowed movements, weakness, pain). It might be an intolerance due to something like hyperkalemic periodic paralysis or kidney function, so my avoidance of potatoes doesn't really have anything to do with limiting fat and fiber... except that the motor issues might also be affecting my digestion.

CSMLSM

Hi
I've been v reluctant to make any further dietary changes . But hey what do I have to lose ?
I went plant based 18 mths ago but more recently brought back fish as my body was telling me it needed it . Since the first portion I could feel energy surging in my body .
( I'm not looking here for meat eating being better as I'm not willing to eat other meats ...and yep I take a good b12 my bloods show I have over adequate but yep I know that some people have shots etc ....
I'm working with a herbalist at the mo and he said he has seen people signif improve with keto . Presently I eat oats, rice , quinoa and potato . I feel v attached to these not sure if it's seretonin related or I have some addictive qualities poss indicating allergy .
Today someome else mentioned they took out all foods that contain lectines and this has made signif improvement .
Oh and the nightshades .

I feel resistance to change I feel a I'll towards the nuts and seeds I eat but herbalist / diet guy said they are ok with keto ..

So my position is shall I try something , am I willing .

Could u share with me any changes you've made to your diet and what results u got . I think the more people I hear the more it may surge me to try changes ...

Thanks a lot 👍
Hi Emmarose47 I hope you are managing yor day well.

I myself could only eat roast potatoes, baked beens and bread essentially for years.

I have had every possible variation of how this horrific condition affects my ability to eat.

Its not nice to need to eat such restrictive diets. I have also when able tried to make my food as nutritional as it can be.

I even learnt a whole lot on nutrition when I discovered my undiagnosed B12 deficiency which even when I managed to force a test being done, the GP only did it to prove me wrong, that backfired.

Even then it was not taken seriously.

If I had not sourced B12 (injectable) online they would have quite happily let me deteriorate and say its still all in my head.

Very traumatic and disturbing to go through in the state you are in in major B12 deficiency. I had lost feeling (neuropathy) in my hands and feet and the doctor would just smurk at me as if I was crazy. I am so traumatised by all of this. It happened about 10 years ago.

I have tried high dose supplements and such and learnt a great deal so I could undo all the damage that was done. I do not know how I am still alive.

Sorry if I have shared too much please do not feel you need to respond I just felt my experience might help you.

If you would like to ask a question I am around here often now so you will get a resonse soon after.

Rest well

Daniel

maddietod

I mentioned above the elimination diet I did in December. It was very revealing. I've eaten soy daily for decades, and it gives me brain fog! I've avoided dairy and nightshades for years, and have now added corn, oats, barley, almonds, and cashews to the list. Brain fog is pretty much gone - the cotton-wool feeling. I seem to do fine with gluten, but I don't trust this result and will test it again.

Rufous McKinney

I do best with limited carbs and very limited sugar and Im borderline type 2, I can manage with diet.

Frequently Im at a loss for what to eat, no idea, nothing is good.

I think for me I deal with alot of sickness behavior triggers and mild nausea and food is unappealing.

Wishful

It was very revealing. I've eaten soy daily for decades, and it gives me brain fog!

Yes, that's the importance of testing things, even those you've consumed for a long time and were sure were safe. You have to keep retesting occasionally, since our responses to things changes over time.

It occurred to me that toothpaste is something I haven't retested for a long time. It's one of those things that we just don't think about. I'm trying a week of brushing with baking soda, just in case the fluoride or other ingredient affects my ME.

There's a reason why most people prefer toothpaste over baking soda. :yuck:

maddietod

so you did not introduce dairy back in during your elimination? you just keep avoiding it?

Dairy does something in the back of my throat that increases sleep apnea. I "cheat" once in a while with ice cream, but I know the cost.

I totally relate to your frustration around what to eat. My issue with nightshades knocks all peppers out of my diet, and GERD is well controlled by avoiding spicy and fatty foods, I don't want to just over-salt everything, but getting interesting flavor is a challenge. I'm having good luck with coconut aminos, and with adding umami with mushroom powder.

After the elimination diet I switched back to low-ish carb and added in chicken. My energy is better when I eat more protein (I was eating about 40g/day).

Rufous McKinney

"@ I may have to divorce potatoes for good, albeit with a heavy heart.[/QUOTE]
Me, too. Resulting in fatigue, joint pain, extra dry eyes & nose (Sjogrens), but no nausea. :(:(:(:(
I seem to be able to tolerate small amounts of sweet potatoes, tho."

I went ONTO a diet in which I eat potatoes FREQUENTLY to great effect.

The roasted root vegetable is Grounding and wind dispersing, so on the Tibetan wind diet, which I do often, I feel much improved.

How strange we differ SO much on food tolerances.

(food must mostly be warm, oily smooth (translates as cooked, oily and not alot of fiber)

Bitter Greens are expressly prohibited. They cause wind.

Johannes

I am in RPAH elimination diet, also called Failsafe diet. I have problems with foods containing too much salicylates, amines and glutamate as well as artificial coloring agents and artificial flavoring agents. I can't use oral medicines or suopplements.

In this diet, for example all fruits and berries, except pears and some apples are excluded. If I eat fruits or berries, I get terrible inflammation into my bowel and a fever. All spices, except salt, white sugar, cellery, garlic and small amounts of parsley or chives are excluded. No matured cheeses or any foods produced with bacteria. No meat older that 14 days from killing and no fish older than 4 days from killing. Only white fishes are OK. No long cooking times with meat. No grilling. And some other restrictions too. But it helps a lot.

I am pretty tired to my food intolerance. I am tired of eating all the time foods that taste the same. There is no medicines or supplements that I could try for my CFS because of my chemical intolerance. I can however use vitamin D injections, methylcobalamine injections and oral magnesium carbonate and calsium carbonate.

Does anyone know any help with my kind of situation?

Woof!

I am in RPAH elimination diet, also called Failsafe diet. I have problems with foods containing too much salicylates, amines and glutamate as well as artificial coloring agents and artificial flavoring agents. I can't use oral medicines or suopplements.

In this diet, for example all fruits and berries, except pears and some apples are excluded. If I eat fruits or berries, I get terrible inflammation into my bowel and a fever. All spices, except salt, white sugar, cellery, garlic and small amounts of parsley or chives are excluded. No matured cheeses or any foods produced with bacteria. No meat older that 14 days from killing and no fish older than 4 days from killing. Only white fishes are OK. No long cooking times with meat. No grilling. And some other restrictions too. But it helps a lot.

I am pretty tired to my food intolerance. I am tired of eating all the time foods that taste the same. There is no medicines or supplements that I could try for my CFS because of my chemical intolerance. I can however use vitamin D injections, methylcobalamine injections and oral magnesium carbonate and calsium carbonate.

Does anyone know any help with my kind of situation?
One hint: use sea salt, not table salt. The former really "wakes up" flavors in food. The later is of poor quality, and it usually has sugar added in one form or another.

All spices aren't created the same. Why eliminate all of them? I'm confused.

I have lots of food intolerances, and I eat relatively few ingredients. Using spices makes all the difference in the world! (* mostly cinnamon, thyme, tarragon, garlic, parsley, lemon pepper, sea salt, marjoram, cumin, turmeric, mustard & paprika)

Johannes

One hint: use sea salt, not table salt. The former really "wakes up" flavors in food. The later is of poor quality, and it usually has sugar added in one form or another.

All spices aren't created the same. Why eliminate all of them? I'm confused.

I have lots of food intolerances, and I eat relatively few ingredients. Using spices makes all the difference in the world! (* mostly cinnamon, thyme, tarragon, garlic, parsley, lemon pepper, sea salt, marjoram, cumin, turmeric, mustard & paprika)

Yes, I use rock salt and seasalt.

I have eliminated only spices that I have tried and which have caused me inflamation to my bowel. I have tested dozens of them. I have not found any suitable. The worst are: all the peppers, paprika, tomato, cinnamon, cumin, turmeric, and mustard plus some herbs. But I can't use even those that aren't that bad. They have all caused really bad symptoms even in small amounts.

I am sensitive to salicylates. Salicylates are part of phenols. Phenols are a group of natural and not so natural chemicals that give food their taste. The more flavour the more phenols. So the more bland the food is, the less I have chance to get symptoms. The most suitable for me are: cabbage, leek, legumes, milk, water, rise (not basmati or other flavorfull), meat, grain, zuccini, cucamber, oils and butter.

All tested according to RPAH testing protocols, one by one.