• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

DId a bit of exercise

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
I felt good enough to do a few exercises with my bands today. Sitting. I also leaned on our kitchen island to help my core a bit. Having muscles stronger will help my POTS, but I had to wait to feel better. I have done a few things here and there, but I haven't used my bands. I was very careful! Just felt good to do a bit.:victory: I used to exercise every day....Before the CFS and POTS.

serenity

good for you, but take it easy. :)
i do gentle exercises every day & it helps so much with pain it's amazing. but be careful, of course. i had to push past my limit a few times to figure out where my limit was.

Sallysblooms

I am very careful for sure. I will do it again this eve, but after my husband is home and not much. I am pretty good at not overdoing and I waited over a year of having my POTS before trying it. Well, I did try to move my legs a stretch a bit lately. My circulation had gotten bad. Remember my feet? Yikes, scared me. I can walk much beter and handle more now after the newest supplements. Sitting completely still all day for so long is not good, but I had now choice. I am on a good path now.

I'm sure that doing the right amount of exercise is a good 'un, but it's so hard to know how much activity you can get away with without making yourself worse. How are you meant to take account for all the natural variances that occur in life? How much less should you do if you get an hours less sleep? I remember the look on the GET therapists face as I asked these questions, clearly irritated by the very suggestion that they were expected to provide useful information rather than just comforting homilies.

I've recently had more money and been able to afford a cleaner and to stock up on ready meals, and that's made it a lot easier to exercise more and then avoid other activity if I've pushed myself too far. (I don't mean to be insensitive here, and feel a bit bad talking about how more cash has made things easier - not a health tip that's easy for others to adopt). It still goes wrong though: we recently had some trouble with a builder unleashing soot over our place, so I had to do more cleaning and slept less well because of my nose lining getting inflamed at night - with this combining to a nightmare migraine and vomiting session.

It has been nice being able to use more of my energy on light exercise though, and if you do manage to avoid going over your limits, it must be better for your body to be active than not. I expect that having a walk and getting a change of scene is good for your mind too.

Sallysblooms

Ester, I was just happy to begin moving again. I have dealt with CFS for 18 years and now POTS. We all know what we can do and of course we overdo sometimes, but I am really getting good. I make sure if we are out doing errands, church or out to eat, I ask hubby to take me home right when I get tired, not afterwards. I learned that lesson.

I have a couple that cleans our home also. My doctor said not to attempt that for quite a while. I used to clean with CFS. One room, then the next on the day after, but with POTS, there is no way.

My exercise is using my w.chair inside and doing my exer. bands, stretching etc. Just a few minutes. I can't go for a walk. I can't get hot or I will be ill and I also need the w.chair for long distance walking.

We go out so I get to do fun things for a change of scenery.

If I go over my limit, I know it is not good. I have a heart monitor to help me know and also, just how I feel. If I don't feel good, I do not go out or exercise. After so long, I know myself well.

Again, just a few minutes....sitting.

I was simply wanting to share how happy I was to be improving.

Such a difference from a few months ago....

Sorry if it sounded like a rant. You caught me the day after my vomiting session and I probably had some pent up angst about not knowing whether I'd done it to myself or not. Any improvement is worth celebrating, and I'm happy for you too.

Sallysblooms

Thanks I love this forum because we all are hopefully happy for each other when we improve. The whole point is to feel better. I hope you feel better very soon.

serenity

i'm with you guys, i am lucky enough to be able to afford to pay people to clean so that i can use my strength to do more theraputic exercise.
i just listen to my body, this took time but i learned it will tell me when i need to adjust & not overdo it.
i had a bad experience with a physical therapist too who told me "there's no way to know what is going to hurt you until we do it" - so i thought, what am i paying you for then? i can do that at home! haha! ;)
(sorry about your migraine Esther, hope you are better)

Sallysblooms

Wow, that was bad with that PT. The one I had was SO careful. You can always do more next time, but overdoing it is bad, can't take it back! ha.

taniaaust1

Sallys.. Congratulations for managing a bit more.

Serenity. I hope you got rid of that therapist. I had a physio therapist who gave me advise and I got injured on the very first exercise she had me do while she was supervising me.
I are doing very well now thou (Without her!!). I'll never go to one for CFS again as I know my body better than they do. (I do see one for other injuries I have thou).

Sallysblooms

Thank you. It is amazing the amount of WORK it takes to start to come back from CFS and POTS. Funny, I am donig a couple of toe lifts a couple times a day. The first few days I couldn't do even one. Getting the calves legs and core stronger helps the POTS once you start to improve with supplements. Exer. alone would have done nothing. I couldn't sit up in bed until I got the right supplements and then improved. What a long road....Very satifying to make progress though. I see the light at the end of the tunnel!