• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Depersonalization/Derealization and brain fog

cmt12

Derealization is part of the growth process. The appropriate response is to look for inward stability to counter the external chaos. It’s also helpful to set aside alone time to limit the stress.

anne_likes_red

Hi Anne,

Thanks much for your fairly extraordinary posts. I was wondering how you went about being assessed. I suspect I have both disorders, so any information would be appreciated. -- Thanks!

Wayne

Hi Wayne,
We saw someone who assesses (usually children) for neurodevelopmental delays. Lots of tests including - for auditory processing - a Tomatis Listening Test audiogram which measures air and bone conduction thresholds for volume of sound, pitch discrimination, auditory - spacial awareness. My understanding of how the Tomatis method is supposed to work is that if the middle ear muscles aren't well toned this can lead to all kinds of sensory issues, tiredness, overwhelm in severe cases.
My younger child had more obvious problems with lower and highest frequencies. Presenting mostly as tiredness and/or withdrawal in certain settings - familiar to me, as I have it too.
We had the older child tested too, more for curiosity. Presentation is very different - ie no obvious problems with sounds, except maybe pitch discrimination presenting as needing to work harder than average on intonation in music learning. But he has mild vertigo, is very light sensitive, has a negative reaction to some textures...and as it turned out an even more significant auditory processing insufficiency that we never would have anticipated!
I will PM you a couple of further resources so you can learn more if you want to.
Anne.

Wayne

I will PM you a couple of further resources so you can learn more if you want to.
Anne.

Hi Anne,

Thanks for this pretty remarkable information, and thank you for your offer. Unfortunately, I'm still in recovery mode after a major move this past February/March, and am still in recovery mode. So not really able to follow up on things. I may contact you down the road a bit if I feel I have the capacity to possibly follow up. -- Thank You!

Wayne

MAOAr297r

Hey guys,
I was lucky enough to have an appointment with an MD/PhD at a molecular medicine clinic. He specializes in M.E and he said we can get DP/DR from neurotoxins. I suspect there are high levels of ammonia doing it in some cases. Also of course the NMDAR agonist Quinolinic acid could play a big role. He ordered me to have my serum level tested for it. QUIN can make glutamate get so high it develops a thingy they call glutamate excitotoxcity and triggers apoptosis (cell death). This is pure speculation at this point but maybe in some cases NMDAR antagonzation may help DP/DR that is meditated by glutamate excitotoxcity. Some MS meds have mild NMDAR antagoninistic properties. COX-2 inhibition may help too (celebrex). Just some amateur thoughts. All I know for an absolute fact is CBT didn't do a thing to help me.

pattismith

Hey guys,
I was lucky enough to have an appointment with an MD/PhD at a molecular medicine clinic. He specializes in M.E and he said we can get DP/DR from neurotoxins. I suspect there are high levels of ammonia doing it in some cases. Also of course the NMDAR agonist Quinolinic acid could play a big role. He ordered me to have my serum level tested for it. QUIN can make glutamate get so high it develops a thingy they call glutamate excitotoxcity and triggers apoptosis (cell death). This is pure speculation at this point but maybe in some cases NMDAR antagonzation may help DP/DR that is meditated by glutamate excitotoxcity. Some MS meds have mild NMDAR antagoninistic properties. COX-2 inhibition may help too (celebrex). Just some amateur thoughts. All I know for an absolute fact is CBT didn't do a thing to help me.
Hello boy,

glad you had this appointement, I hope you will have some answers, keep us update...