• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cooking for a crash.

IThinkImTurningJapanese

I've completely avoided eating during a crash, which doesn't work well for too long. :D

I like to avoid resorting to convenience foods or fast food, so I have almost always had some sort of quick recipe that I can rely on when too weak to cook properly.

I discovered on Reddit a simpler way to soft-boil eggs. I place the eggs in a pot with cool water, add a splash of vinegar, and heat them till they start to boil. Cover the pot and turn the stove off. I don't even time them, they can't be overcooked.

After resting a while, then I can tackle the peeling. :cautious:

IThinkImTurningJapanese

Can you cook in advance when you feel a little better and freeze portions so they can just be heated when you're crashed?

I think that's one of the best solutions for this problem. I have done that but I don't do very well at preparing for a crash, which is just odd considering the number of times I've experienced one.

I'm fully aware of how serious this problem is, but I've been following advice that I got many years ago from the CFIDS association, and that is to go into a sort of voluntary denial, as a coping mechanism.

Mary

Moderator Resource
I discovered on Reddit a simpler way to soft-boil eggs. I place the eggs in a pot with cool water, add a splash of vinegar, and heat them till they start to boil. Cover the pot and turn the stove off. I don't even time them, they can't be overcooked.
I am going to try this! it sounds like a great technique. I like soft-boiled eggs but have to time them, watch the clock , etc. and don't always get it right.

Seven7

Seven
Avocados are my go to when crashed, blueberries, you can bake an avacado w a egg inside.
I buy frozen roots and things like = frozen yuca, frozen taro root, any roots you like and slice of ham and turkey. They are high in fiber and carbs, if you add like butter or any healthy fat you get a very rounded meal w little effort.

Mary

Moderator Resource
A can of black beans and a can of tuna mixed with mayonnaise and maybe apple cider vinegar or dill pickle relish is not bad and almost no effort. If I'm up to it, I'll chop some celery and green onion and add that in. Of course you can't eat it too often because of mercury in the tuna ...

Moof

I make vast vats of chilli, 25 portions at a time! Although chopping up the veg probably takes the best part of an hour, at least I only have to watch over the cooking process once, for 25 meals. It's made with grass-fed beef, but I put in far more vegetables than in a typical recipe, plus several different types of beans and lentils, so with a bit of brown rice it's a well-balanced meal. I sometimes do the same with curries and stews, which also provide good quality meals for very little prep.

Frozen berries, thawed and mixed with nuts, seeds and yoghurt are good for breakfasts, lunches or puddings, depending on what's needed! I get horrible sore throats when I crash, so I also puree fresh berries and make ice lollies with them, to soothe my throat and contribute usefully to my diet.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Here is an easy one: Keep some, seasoned fish fillets in the freezer (I usually get them fresh at Whole Foods and freeze them.)Pop one into a shallow baking pan and surround it with frozen mixed vegetables with a bit of seasoning or butter. Bake in oven for about 20 minutes depending on the type of fish.

I also use my Instant Pot (electric pressure cooker (and 6 other types of cooker) to prepare dishes to freezer for those days when cooking is just not possible. I get 6 - 8 servers from one pot.

Learner1

A can of black beans and a can of tuna mixed with mayonnaise and maybe apple cider vinegar or dill pickle relish is not bad and almost no effort. If I'm up to it, I'll chop some celery and green onion and add that in. Of course you can't eat it too often because of mercury in the tuna ...
That's creative! How about canned wild salmon instead of tuna?

Mary

Moderator Resource
That's creative! How about canned wild salmon instead of tuna?
I'm sure that would be even better! :thumbsup: Actually my sister (who is healthy) told me she did this sometimes and when she first told me, I politely said hmmm... It didn't appeal to me at all, but I finally tried it one day and was very surprised to find it wasn't bad at all. Something about the black beans went well with the tuna and I imagine probably would work with salmon as well. I've been meaning to buy some dill spice as the tang of the ACV or pickle goes well too.

Wolfcub

I've completely avoided eating during a crash, which doesn't work well for too long. :D

I like to avoid resorting to convenience foods or fast food, so I have almost always had some sort of quick recipe that I can rely on when too weak to cook properly.

Soft boiled eggs are so nice!
I don't peel them. I stick them in an egg cup, chop the top off them, and eat them with a spoon. And some toast on the side! And maybe a salad too.

Definitely get some rice and quinoa in the freezer in portions. That's easy to do. Maybe with some cauliflower or broccoli florets added. That's the good makings of a meal when you are too exhausted.

And lentil soups/stews, which are easy to do. Even if not getting ready for a crash it's always nice to have them ready for when you don't want to (can't) cook. I just put some small red lentils in a pot with chopped veg, seasonings, cook 10-15 minutes, and it's ready. No fuss to do.

Misfit Toy

I find one of the easiest things to do is just buy chicken, freeze it and put a breast or some thighs in a toaster like over...convection oven and put some olive oil on them. Put some salt and pepper or sprinkle lemon on them. Let it bake for 15 to 20 minutes if it's just one breast or thigh and that's it. If I am that tired, that is what I do. You can tell if the chicken is done as long as it's not pink.

Then, if I am really out of it....just bring a cucumber to bed, peal some of it or just cut cucumber slices. I even eat green beans just fresh uncooked. Or, celery. Eat a celery stalk.

You can do this with not just chicken but even a turkey burger. Put a turkey burger in a toaster over and boom...done.

Those potatoes that are wrapped in Saran Wrap already...just put it in the microwave for 8 minutes and it's done. Voila. Some do not like using a microwave. The microwave is your friend when you are sick sometimes.

Mel9

Brilliant!

Mel9

Soft boiled eggs are so nice!
I don't peel them. I stick them in an egg cup, chop the top off them, and eat them with a spoon. And some toast on the side! And maybe a salad too.

Definitely get some rice and quinoa in the freezer in portions. That's easy to do. Maybe with some cauliflower or broccoli florets added. That's the good makings of a meal when you are too exhausted.

And lentil soups/stews, which are easy to do. Even if not getting ready for a crash it's always nice to have them ready for when you don't want to (can't) cook. I just put some small red lentils in a pot with chopped veg, seasonings, cook 10-15 minutes, and it's ready. No fuss to do.

Easier still in a Soup maker

IThinkImTurningJapanese

I have a friend who does his boiled eggs in his electric kettle!!

That is funny. :D

Japan is like the U.K. in that many people keep an electric kettle with hot water available all throughout the day. You've reminded me of another one I used to rely on.

Take a handful of brown rice and toss it in a coffee grinder, the blade type. Whizz it up, toss in a bowl, pour boiling water over it, and you have Instant Cream of Rice.

A pat of butter, sea salt, and you have a soothing hot breakfast.