• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cooking for a crash.

IThinkImTurningJapanese

How did this turn out for you?

It needs another year and a half to dry, my impatient version of "old men planting trees whose shade they know they will never sit in".

I could just buy a piece of hardwood ready to work, I find them all the time whilst searching for guitar parts, but this is quite satisfying. :D

Do you have power tools to work it? Smoothing that by hand would be.... :sluggish::aghhh:

Exactly :D, I have a power planer I intend to use. Sanding educates me very quickly on my limitations.

nina22

I can't eats grains but I make banana pancakes: one mashed banana, an egg and 1/2 cup almond flour. I make like three batches of them on my good days and freeze them for my bad days. The almond flour makes them a kind of protein snack so they're filling. I often can't chew so soft food is so nice! I also make a full batch of hamburger patties or cooked chicken breasts ahead of time and just keep them in the freezer and microwave one at dinner time.

Strawberry

I just figured out a stupid simple recipe that provides simple breakfast.

I hate carbs and sweets, I’ve always been an eggs and bacon girl. But eggs and bacon are impossible to cook!

FOUND…. Cartons of liquid eggs. Love.

Get a 32 oz carton of liquid eggs (or two 16), and dump into a greased 9x9 brownie pan. Dump in a rounded tablespoon of powdered broth. I used this: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005VOOHUE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No need to use that specific brand or flavor, I link it merely so you can see salt content and ratio to ounces liquid for anything you might have lying around.

Let it sit for a few minutes to dissolve a bit, and whisk lightly to mix evenly into liquid eggs. Maybe sprinkle some pre shredded cheese on top.

Bake at 425 for about 30-40 minutes, or until just set and a fork comes out clean. I didn’t preheat and cooked for 40 and they were perfect.

Hmmm, I just got another idea. Put the powdered broth into the egg carton, shake a bit to mix. Then pour into brownie pan.:rolleyes:

Once cooled, cut into 9 squares and freeze flat in a one gallon ziplock bag. I put them in the bag same as as they come out of the pan. Once frozen, I can drop onto the floor to break into the squares. (In the bag of course) They do freeze solid, but break easy back into 9 squares.

I pop one in the microwave on high for a minute and a half, then let it sit for a few minutes to even the hot and cold spots out. Then heat another 30-45 seconds until hot.

I can have eggs for breakfast again. A 32 oz carton is about 18 eggs, so 2 eggs per square.

You’re welcome.

SnappingTurtle

I usually save one portion of our dinner food in the freezer.

If I am lucky, my husband would have made me a big batch of gluten free/dairy free/egg free waffles. I would eat those with whatever cooked meat I can find, usually ham or chicken or turkey.

IThinkImTurningJapanese

I also use my Instant Pot (electric pressure cooker (and 6 other types of cooker) to prepare dishes to freezer for those days when cooking is just not possible. I get 6 - 8 servers from one pot.

Place eggs in the Instant Pot, all the instructions I find recommend the steamer basket but I just put them in the water, then heat until pressurized and turn off. Wait 6-7 minutes and vent. Promptly take them out and place in a bowl under running water.

Easiest to peel eggs ever. :D

It also seems like the yolks aren't as drying in the mouth.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
This would probably be something to make before being in an actual crash because it looks a little involved. Though not too terribly much.

I like lunch meat when I'm in a crash because it's easy to prepare and easy to eat but I cannot eat very many kinds because of the smoking or the curing or lactic acid starter in most of them. Plus, they're kinda expensive, This recipe seems like it would make a lot plus it's with healthy ingredients.

Well, here it is :) :

Last edited:

Judee

Looks tough to make,

Yeah, I would have to do it in steps and over the course of some days maybe.

Like day one:
Load the cooked parts into the crockpot, then cook overnight.

(With a many ingredients recipe, I pace myself by "building it" in the crockpot over the course of a day and then add the part that would spoil (like the chicken) just before turning the crockpot on.

Day two: debone the meat and refrigerate in a big bowl. I would put the broth into a separate microwaveable container and put that in the refrigerator overnight too.

Day three: Reheat broth and blend gelatin then blend everything (minus bay leaves) together in food processor. Pour into bottle for refrigeration overnight again.

I do wonder if he couldn't have used some short cuts, like canned beets and putting the spices in the broth to begin with. Not to mention using a canning funnel or such to pour the mixture at the end.

A really strong blender like a vitamix would be great because it could be poured right from that into the bottle but it would be a bit heavy I would guess. :(

Okay...just typing all this out makes it seem a lot less feasible for us. (sigh) Sorry.

That's me...dream big but then in reality...:xpem:

Judee

I came across this article about Trader Joe's products that can make cooking fresh food easier.

That's cool. It sounds like it's even written by someone like us. She says, "I'm a mom and my health issues can make it difficult for me to stand or sit upright for a long time." :)

Strawberry

Zebra that is a really cool article. And Jude I completely agree she sounds like one of us! I really like the ginger idea, if only I could go into Trader Joe’s. I did get the TJs asparagus from the food bank. It froze well. Didn’t cook it in the microwave, but frozen it was easy to break into bite size pieces and add to the pot.

I want to re post someone’s idea. Cook your carrots and veggies whole that would normally need to be chopped. Then cut with kitchen scissors once cooked soft. I do it with cooked chicken too.

Maybe this should be in the whine thread, but the food I rely on is getting scarce again. :cautious: They keep delivering replacements that I really can’t eat. For instance, Tyson’s frozen chicken strips. :vomit: Two HUGE bags! Vs two small bags of organic chicken strips with minimal seasoning. And a whole chunk of (unorganic) ham because there was no organic diced ham! Now I have to dice it myself and freeze it. Thankfully I have the tool to easily do that. But still. Energy….. and all those chemicals and spices that just make me nauseous.

Sigh, the problems of ME folk…

Strawberry

I’ve decided to attempt the sausage Judee posted. Except boneless and skinless chicken so no deboning, and far less water so I don’t have to drain and strain. I’ll have to watch close so it doesn’t boil dry, that’s the worst part. Maybe add a little ham for flavor (mostly because I can’t get organic thighs now). Add a pickled beet for color instead of shredding one. ”Baby“ carrots so I don’t have to peel one. Maybe even a can of beans for extra protein and a bit of carbs?

Mix in the pot it was cooked in instead of separate bowl. Far less work and cleanup. I’m going to look on Amazon for a cylinder since I don’t have soda bottles around. I could use a creamer bottle, but it will do me in cutting the top off. And I’d have to bleach it for sanitation.

I’m hoping it freezes well.

Judee

Maybe this should be in the whine thread, but the food I rely on is getting scarce again. :cautious: They keep delivering replacements that I really can’t eat.

Make sure you try for a refund. I tried to send a suggestion to an email I found online but got no response. My suggestion was to ask for an option to tell the shoppers not to do substitutions--even just a box we could checkmark.

I’m going to look on Amazon for a cylinder since I don’t have soda bottles around. I could use a creamer bottle, but it will do me in cutting the top off.

I think someone suggested in the comments to use a tin can too but it would have to be one that has the same type of top and bottom so you could use the can opener at either end, if that makes sense.

I don't have those kind of bottles either. I saw another video was posted yesterday that looked like it was just in cellophane with the ends twisted but they were smaller--more like liverwurst tubes. I didn't watch the video though so I don't know.

I just looked again to see if I could find it and noticed someone put the meat mixture into a loaf pan. You could do that too maybe.

Strawberry

I’ve decided to attempt the sausage Judee posted.

WHAT the heck did I get myself into! It’s still hot and tastes delicious, but so much standing. I have found out my stick blender is a tornado, but can’t get anywhere near the consistency of the soup in the video yet. And I still have to wash the silicone mold. Ugh. Too much standing.

BUT….. Soooo delicious! I went very heavy veg. I will post an approximate recipe later, and do’s and dont’s.

Can I go curl up with the cat? Pleeeeeease?

Pyrrhus

Judee

Edit: I had to cook it a little longer than he prescribed...for about 35 seconds more to be exact. My microwave is 1200 watt but it doesn't always seem like it, if that makes any sense.

I'm encouraged by these instructions though. I miss eggs so much but don't have a working stove to cook them on currently. The egg I made was good. :yum:

Last edited: