• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cooking for a crash.

Wolfcub

I just chuck red lentils in a pan with water and a stock cube and some chopped garlic, then just let it cook 10 minutes. If you let it cook longer -say 15 minutes, you have it more mushy which is almost the same as you get in a blender.
But I like pieces in my soup, so I add tiny broccoli pieces and sliced onion too and break up some marjoram to go with it (is marjoram the same as oregano?? Might be.) and a little parsley and black pepper.

IThinkImTurningJapanese

I just chuck red lentils in a pan with water...
That, along with split-peas is a fantastic suggestion for soup making, and I've found soup to be one of the easiest things to cook with this illness. I can do this in stages, as the soup is cooking.

Beans require planning, which isn't that bad, but I like backups.

Have a look at what I get for 300 yen, $2.70, £2.09, €2.34. :cautious:
DSC00001.JPG

Misfit Toy

One of the things that I used to make that was good for potassium was a banana smoothie. I would just take one banana, some rice milk or coconut milk, nutmeg, one egg (yeah, I used to add a raw egg and I have no idea how safe this is) with ice and man...it was so good. Just a regular blender.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Last edited:

Wolfcub

I always find that my appetite changes when I crash. I either get mega-hungry at weird times of day and night, lose appetite when it's actual mealtime, or go off some things I usually like very much.

So "cooking for a crash" maybe should include those foods which are happily tolerated when crash comes on.
For some reason mine is soft boiled eggs and toast....toast.....and more toast with lashings of butter.
Now normally I eat really healthy multi-coloured fruit and veg, varied proteins, etc and do NOT live on bread! But in a crash toast and eggs are my saving grace, plus lettuce or watercress.
None of those freeze very well though....duh....

frozenborderline

beans make me feel awful. don't usually have the energy to cook, but if i do, i'll microwave potatoes, sometimes adding shredded cheese. i will just eat potatoes as a base diet often. or just get liquid calories from a combination of juice, milk, and coffee

IThinkImTurningJapanese

I always find that my appetite changes when I crash. I either get mega-hungry at weird times of day and night, lose appetite when it's actual mealtime, or go off some things I usually like very much.

So "cooking for a crash" maybe should include those foods which are happily tolerated when crash comes on.
For some reason mine is soft boiled eggs and toast....toast.....and more toast with lashings of butter.
Now normally I eat really healthy multi-coloured fruit and veg, varied proteins, etc and do NOT live on bread! But in a crash toast and eggs are my saving grace,

This may be too much activity, but if you can...o_O

Wolfcub

This may be too much activity, but if you can...o_O

Yes this sounds like me. I love salads with avocado and the full works. But in a crash I always like boiled eggs and toast! I can't usually tolerate nuts at those times or tomatoes. But can nearly always manage lentils and they seem to do me good. So red lentil stew with broccoli and garlic with toast is another one.
I seem to crave cooked foods when in a crash -not raw.