• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Concrete demands for the Open Medicine Foundation

frozenborderline

Frozenbordeline.....Ron Davis does his work for the love of his child. He's way, way past retirement age, and since his child is at least as bad as you are, and perhaps worse, I don't think it's right to pressure him more than necessary. The same goes for his volunteer researchers.
well, I think doing this for the love of his child is noble, and means that he is committed to solving this, genuinely, but it has a downside, and that downside is he is way less likely to look into things that he doesnt think apply to whitney, inasmuch as he may believe there are different subsets. He doesnt think mold or cci apply to whitney. i guarantee if he did, he would be studying them. its fair to want to save your child, but a) he could be wrong about whether or not those things apply to whitney and b) your responsibility if you are an ngo like that is not just to whitney but to all the other me/cfs patients, including myself.

if the OMF wasnt soliciting large donations, including from patients themselves, a lot of whom give their last dollar, etc, if they were just working on this from their own money or whatever, i wouldnt think its "fair" to pressure them. but they are a leading cfs organization, underpaid by general research standards, but probably the best funded out of any of the cfs institutes, and they are in the game of research, information, and advocacy. they also set the tone for other researchers and influence in a more indirect wya what is researched.

in my opinion, this makes the incredibly gentle pressure of asking them repeatedly in open letters to look into these things, totally warranted. not that what im doing will make a difference. which also means its fair. im hurting myself (by using precious energy trying to get them to listen) far, far more than Im hurting ron or anyone at the OMF. for all of the platform and amount of visibility i have, and all the fight in me that i have, i may as well be a flea on their back, a minor annoyance at best.

ron may be old, but i guarantee he still has more energy, and in a sense is physically younger than, me . i am totally bedridden by now, i need large doses of pain medication to even get through the day, and i have only small windows and bursts of cognitive energy, even typing this is difficult, let alone designing a website. i have a DALY score (for measuring disease burden and disability burden) far worse than the average 80 year old. my 84 year old grandmother is more active than me,.
Have you checked to see if other, younger and aggressive researchers are available?
I may pivot to talking to them, especially michael van elzakker and poly bio, once i give up on the OMF> but despite being a bit set in his ways, Ron (as well as rob phair) has the mind, and the equipment, and the engineering knowledge , to solve this disease and look for certain things in samples, in a way that many other researchers dont. which is one of the reasons im pressuring them. i think they have the tools to solve this disease, they just need to look in a different area. ron has engineering brilliance which allows him to come up with new tests and ways to look through samples. this is important for looking for nanoparticle pollution and mold spores, or unknown substances, in air samples or blood or csf samples. im not sure that u could easily do this with existing tech. i actually have quite a lot of respect for ron, just not for all of his decisions, and decisions of omission.
May I ask once again why you haven't had your CCI surgery yet? You may be relieved of some if not many of your symptoms and I would love to see that happen to you. I'm not against you, but just want you to understand the entire picture of what's going on.
Its complicated. the road to surgery is not very short or very easy. Im going as fast as i can to get it, but partially due to the NIH and OMF negligence, there is no non expensive way for an environmentally sensitive person with limited mobility to live anywhere, and having a dwelling is important for recovering from major surgery.

frozenborderline

In my experience doctors aren't much interested in environmental factors. Most people doing research in medicine, especially the ones working for OMF, are biomedical scientists who like to look at cells and work in labs. I think it's an idea definitely worth looking into, but first we need to find influential researchers who are interested in the topic and preferably a team of those.
I agree that they arent interested in environmental factors, but its very odd to me. surely if an animal in the wild got sick , the first thing that would be looked at is environmental factors. when the birds started dropping out of the sky in nm en masse, thats what they did. this is almost always true. but when its a human, we look almsot everywhere else. are we immune to environmental changes or toxins, in a way that deeply distinguishes us from other species? we dont live in the wilderness, but this doesnt mean we dont live in an environment, that is just as affective as wilderness. it doesnt mean we dont live in a biome, etc.

frozenborderline

Look at them as all doctors....most, or all researchers, specialize in one specific area. That's the way they're trained, especially today. It's not easy, if not impossible for them to just "cross-over." Have you tried to see if there are environmental researchers?....basically it's a new field and I suspect that it will be difficult for them to even be believed by many other scientist, let alone organizations that do the funding.
i trust that ron davis is smart enough to either learn from related fields (he already does, the nanoneedle is engineering and electronics, not just biology and genetics) or hire researchers from the environmental field. the latter might actually be a better idea. it is dependent on funding, absolutely, but at least corresponding with environmental researchers such as the ones that did the groundbreaking research on nanoparticles and mold spores in pnas recently, would be a start. they could probably even learn some techniques just from corresponding with them

that said, if omf continues to just not respond, at some point i'll try and find younger, more flexible researchers interested in environmental stuff

but environmental researchers arent necessarily going to just start studying cfs if they werre researching frogs or how air pollution affects cancer, for no money. the orgs already studying cfs and the nih are the ones that can shape the future of cfs research. the NIH was vague about it but seemingly a lot of money was earmarked for long covid research with uncertain guidelines and timelines. if that turns out to be available to me/cfs researchers, we may have just won the lottery. although it may be too late for me soon.

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
well, I think doing this for the love of his child is noble, and means that he is committed to solving this, genuinely, but it has a downside, and that downside is he is way less likely to look into things that he doesnt think apply to whitney, inasmuch as he may believe there are different subsets. He doesnt think mold or cci apply to whitney. i guarantee if he did, he would be studying them. its fair to want to save your child, but a) he could be wrong about whether or not those things apply to whitney and b) your responsibility if you are an ngo like that is not just to whitney but to all the other me/cfs patients, including myself.

if the OMF wasnt soliciting large donations, including from patients themselves, a lot of whom give their last dollar, etc, if they were just working on this from their own money or whatever, i wouldnt think its "fair" to pressure them. but they are a leading cfs organization, underpaid by general research standards, but probably the best funded out of any of the cfs institutes, and they are in the game of research, information, and advocacy. they also set the tone for other researchers and influence in a more indirect wya what is researched.

in my opinion, this makes the incredibly gentle pressure of asking them repeatedly in open letters to look into these things, totally warranted. not that what im doing will make a difference. which also means its fair. im hurting myself (by using precious energy trying to get them to listen) far, far more than Im hurting ron or anyone at the OMF. for all of the platform and amount of visibility i have, and all the fight in me that i have, i may as well be a flea on their back, a minor annoyance at best.

ron may be old, but i guarantee he still has more energy, and in a sense is physically younger than, me . i am totally bedridden by now, i need large doses of pain medication to even get through the day, and i have only small windows and bursts of cognitive energy, even typing this is difficult, let alone designing a website. i have a DALY score (for measuring disease burden and disability burden) far worse than the average 80 year old. my 84 year old grandmother is more active than me,.
I may pivot to talking to them, especially michael van elzakker and poly bio, once i give up on the OMF> but despite being a bit set in his ways, Ron (as well as rob phair) has the mind, and the equipment, and the engineering knowledge , to solve this disease and look for certain things in samples, in a way that many other researchers dont. which is one of the reasons im pressuring them. i think they have the tools to solve this disease, they just need to look in a different area. ron has engineering brilliance which allows him to come up with new tests and ways to look through samples. this is important for looking for nanoparticle pollution and mold spores, or unknown substances, in air samples or blood or csf samples. im not sure that u could easily do this with existing tech. i actually have quite a lot of respect for ron, just not for all of his decisions, and decisions of omission.
Its complicated. the road to surgery is not very short or very easy. Im going as fast as i can to get it, but partially due to the NIH and OMF negligence, there is no non expensive way for an environmentally sensitive person with limited mobility to live anywhere, and having a dwelling is important for recovering from major surgery.
You are apparently on some kind of quest and are simply dismissing anything you don't want to hear.
I'm sorry but your misdirecting your energy.

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6

frozenborderline

You are apparently on some kind of quest
true. A quest for a cure. I think most of us are. My methods may differs from others, that's all.
I'm sorry but your misdirecting your energy.
Perhaps. Its possiblya waste, and it may not be. I can't read the future nor can I think of other things I could do to bring about a cure faster. Personally I think people who are donating their money or poring over metabolomics studies are wasting their energy , in terms of statistically likelihood that will help but I don't tell them that, for two reasons. One is I don't know who is right. I think I am, but thinking isn't knowing. You think I am wrong , but you don't know I'm wrong.

Two is that it makes no difference and more people , especially people with such despair as comes from cfs are converted by positive or gentle feedback than negative feedback.
and are simply dismissing anything you don't want to hear.
I have changed my mind on what causes cfs and what tactics should be used politically so many times over the course of this illness. My mind is changeable. Just not by people aggressively saying "this is pointless " without offering an alternative. This may be pointless and it may not be. There are researchers who listen to patient feedback a lot some don't. I don't know if rons heart can be changed but ill continue to try until I have a better idea, or someone gives me one. I can't live with current pace of the research and the situation in general
I'm sorry but your misdirecting your energy
what would be a better use of my energy. What is your plan for a cure for cfs ?

lenora

OK....Let me say that Ron Davis's biggest concern is his son, Whitney. Can you blame him? The man is now 80 yrs. old and cannot possibly be studying everything.

Whitney became ill while traveling the world, and was in India when he became horribly ill. We all know the environment there is a disaster, but it's a different environment. His father was one of the first to use abilify)very, very small amounts only) on his son, just to get him back and forth to the hospital for the change in his feeding tube.

You're right....he's capable of moving into other areas, but if the environment is your main cause of concern, then please contact someone like Julie Rehmeyer (Cort Johnson may know how....try to reach him at Health Rising).
i trust that ron davis is smart enough to either learn from related fields (he already does, the nanoneedle is engineering and electronics, not just biology and genetics) or hire researchers from the environmental field. the latter might actually be a better idea. it is dependent on funding, absolutely, but at least corresponding with environmental researchers such as the ones that did the groundbreaking research on nanoparticles and mold spores in pnas recently, would be a start. they could probably even learn some techniques just from corresponding with them

that said, if omf continues to just not respond, at some point i'll try and find younger, more flexible researchers interested in environmental stuff

but environmental researchers arent necessarily going to just start studying cfs if they werre researching frogs or how air pollution affects cancer, for no money. the orgs already studying cfs and the nih are the ones that can shape the future of cfs research. the NIH was vague about it but seemingly a lot of money was earmarked for long covid research with uncertain guidelines and timelines. if that turns out to be available to me/cfs researchers, we may have just won the lottery. although it may be too late for me soon.

Zero in on what you believe your main problem is....if the OMF hasn't responded to your needs by now, it probably won't.

Dr. Davis is an exceptional man who has done a lot for us. There are so many different needs and yes, there are other researchers, but to the best of my knowledge the "volunteer researchers" for him aren't doing environmental work. I may be wrong, but go to the sources who have been trying to do what you need/want. I really wish you well....it's a tough journey. Yours, Lenora.

Last edited by a moderator:

lenora

Where are your parents and are they able to help you? I know your sister is also ill, a very sad occurrence.

Does she also have CCI....a diagnosis? Yes, I understand that the road to surgery is a difficult one...I've been through it. Have you been diagnosed as actually having environmental problems? Then the only real recommendation I can make is for you to contact Julie Rehmeyer and see what she suggests. I tried to look for her book in case she had some contact info, but couldn't locate it. Which doesn't mean much...you should all of my books, especially if my husband is near them.

Again, check with the Moderators here or Cort Johnson...it may take time to get a response, but it's the only suggestion I have. Yours, Lenora.

5vforest

@frozenborderline I think I understand where you’re coming from, but you also have to remember that OMF and Ron in particular are the most “famous” public figures in the ME/CFS world, and so they probably get countless requests like these. I don’t think this necessarily excuses them from being more responsive to patient requests, but it is probably impossible for them to give due consideration to everyone that contacts them.

That’s why I think it might be more productive to connect with other researchers.

Also, and now I’m just totally spitballing, maybe discuss with Erik Johnson & co and see if you can form an analysis as to why their attempts to draw focus to environmental factors have not yielded results. As far as I know, they have been shouting into the wind about these same topics for decades.

Rufous McKinney

This 2006 research paper: suggests they still cannot confirm that environmental toxins played a role in Gulf War Syndrome.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15757795/

So considering the dire condition of these victims, and the massive research, and you can pin down specifics, yet they seem unable to reach a meaningful conclusion.

for example, from the abstract above-

"... there is insufficient evidence to determine if exposure to toxins encountered during the Persian Gulf war caused GWS (level U). A major limitation of the literature regarding the GWS is the reliance on self-reporting to measure exposure to putative causal toxins. Although objective measures of toxin exposure in GWV generally is unavailable, modeling techniques to estimate exposure levels to low-level nerve agents and smoke from oil well fires have been developed"...

The abstract then states this is a medically unexplained syndrome....

"... investigators fall into two camps. One camp insists that the conditions are caused by a yet-to-be-discovered medical problem, rejecting out of hand the possibility of a psychologic origin. The other camp insists the conditions are fundamentally psychogenic rejecting the possibility of an undiscovered medical condition. The evidence shows, however, that the conditions exists, the suffering is real, and the causes are unknown."

so a third camp: these people were poisoned....isn't even listed here (?)

Rufous McKinney

And here in Feb 2021: we read that denial of claims is the treatment of choice by our government, of our sick veterans.

https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2021/02/23/gulf-war-illness

Now its understandable to ignore the chronic illnesses of a bunch of random people with ME. But to treat the US military like this?

Its hard to process. Below from the article above-

"... If Biden demanded a thorough review of veterans and toxic exposure, Binns is sure the administration would discover there are positive changes that could be made to help vets struggling with Gulf War illness."...

"...Binns was optimistic in the beginning. It was just a matter of using research to prove veterans’ illnesses stemmed from toxic exposure in Kuwait, he says, and then once that was finished, he would start work on finding treatments.
“Instead, what we discovered was that the focus of government research efforts was to cover up the problem,” he says..."

"...A congressionally mandated committee that investigated the illness says it was triggered by pesticides and medication that U.S. troops were ordered to take to protect them against nerve gas...".

So- I see this as a major route to- further lobby. Jon Stewart is on this topic. Senator Gillibrand. And another senator. The man mentioned above- Binns- he is on this as well.

A press release perhaps?- that ties the latest Klimas work on GWS with ME CFS and the possibility of treatment in the face of upcoming new recruits with Long COVID.

sounds like a great story to me. Its being told now more and more (we had a burn pit victim on PBS News Hour last Thursday).

lenora

And here in Feb 2021: we read that denial of claims is the treatment of choice by our government, of our sick veterans.

https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2021/02/23/gulf-war-illness

Now its understandable to ignore the chronic illnesses of a bunch of random people with ME. But to treat the US military like this?

Its hard to process. Below from the article above-

"... If Biden demanded a thorough review of veterans and toxic exposure, Binns is sure the administration would discover there are positive changes that could be made to help vets struggling with Gulf War illness."...

"...Binns was optimistic in the beginning. It was just a matter of using research to prove veterans’ illnesses stemmed from toxic exposure in Kuwait, he says, and then once that was finished, he would start work on finding treatments.
“Instead, what we discovered was that the focus of government research efforts was to cover up the problem,” he says..."

"...A congressionally mandated committee that investigated the illness says it was triggered by pesticides and medication that U.S. troops were ordered to take to protect them against nerve gas...".

So- I see this as a major route to- further lobby. Jon Stewart is on this topic. Senator Gillibrand. And another senator. The man mentioned above- Binns- he is on this as well.

A press release perhaps?- that ties the latest Klimas work on GWS with ME CFS and the possibility of treatment in the face of upcoming new recruits with Long COVID.

sounds like a great story to me. Its being told now more and more (we had a burn pit victim on PBS News Hour last Thursday).

In Vietnam (& I suspect WW1 & WW11) soldiers were either not heard or understood. I can remember WW11 soldiers living in their parents' attics...not b/c they were crazy, but b/c they couldn't tolerate noise of any sort. This sounds very familiar to me and yes, I think it was either poison or environmental problems that affected them, perhaps both.

I had two brothers who were in Vietnam, both suffered from Agent Orange side-effects. Sadly, both have now passed. However, both finally received recognition for their symptoms only because they kept fighting and instead of walking out very bad each time, I told them that's exactly what the powers that be wanted. A reason for the claims to not be filled.

After telling them to buy and wear sports coats with their jeans, and spending a whole day there if necessary, both received exactly what they were after. One took his in the form of a pension and the other an outright payout. Both of them received excellent care at the local VA hospitals near where they lived. I deal with the problems of one, and found the social workers to be extremely responsive and did what was in my brother's best interest.

I'm sure there are plenty of bad places, too....but we did experience the opposite treatment, once the problem itself was identified.

Yes, Nancy Klimas (now somewhere in FL) would be a good person to try to contact as she has worked with so many types of immunological and probably environmental concerns. L.

frozenborderline

Also, and now I’m just totally spitballing, maybe discuss with Erik Johnson & co and see if you can form an analysis as to why their attempts to draw focus to environmental factors have not yielded results. As far as I know, they have been shouting into the wind about these same topics for decades.
i think that one is sort of simple. (I almost forgot Through the Shadowlands) in that world that is very well recovered is primarily an artist or filmmaker. if someone made a film as good as Unrest about tahoe and erik and the environmental issues i practically guarantee things would change at least within the ME/CFS world at least without it. I have tried to do more minor contributions with podcasts but i am among the most severe category of illness especially post covid. i had big improvements from avoidance but was still in a brace the whole time , it didnt fix my neck, and then i got covid and it seemed to unravel whatever was left of the strength and cohesion in my neck. since then ive mostly been hanging on until surgery without much energy, certainly not enough to do video editing or anything. and while Jen managed to do a film despite severe illness through part of it, she had a lot of privileges (not downplaying her brilliance, I think she has or would acknowledge the type and level of support she had to make unrest was uncommon)...

A second factor in my answer to your question, which is something i rarely talk about here but is worth talking about, is that a lot of the mold avoidance community has split with the ME/CFS community due to not feeling heard, despite the huge overlap (not EVERYONE in the mold avoidance community has PEM/ ME/CFS, but certainly more than fifty percent due, and thats out of a huge pool of people). So theres this HUGE group of people who have ME/CFS, sometimes formally diagnosed, sometimes not, and do mold avoidance, but don't come on forums like this or facebook groups for ME/CFS or participate in millionsmissing. There are several reasons but I think part of it is the sheer rancour and contempt some people within the ME/CFS world have for people who posit mold is part of the ME/CFS etiology. I mean, I'm not talking about a mere disagreement, but some people in the british "real ME is only this narrow thing derived from post viral ramsay blah blah" camp are genuinely angry and worse, cruel or vicious, to people who claim that ME/CFS and PEM are cured through mold avoidance. I think we all--including those with mold avoidance theories--ought to be open to other ideas, and criticism, but a lot of that crosses some boundaries. Additionally, some of the people in the mold avoiders camp just feel like now that they found either a cure or treatment, they dont exactly need to be in ME/CFS communities. Lisa Petrison and Erik Johnson and Julie Rehmeyer are exceptions to the rule here. that's not true for everyone of course, some people with mold illness, like me, have addtional problems like cci that need doctors to treat them, and find it useful to engage with me/cfs doctors and try medications. and then some people in the mold avoiders group just seem to feel like if they're currently healthy theres no need to work on any bigger political or advocacy question at all, which i feel like is a huge, huge mistake because the environmental issues are getting worse, and remission is only buying oneself time until you can solve the scientific and political problem of ME/CFS and know with scientific certainty whatws attacking us inside and out (not "Mold" , which is vague and often shorthand for a slurry or aggregate of biotoxins and unknown particulates or pollution).

so theres ideas those people dont want to join the ME/CFS community, but for the most part , the me/cfs community doesnt know that these groups of more than thousands, even ten thousand (formally, but there are probably quite a lot more that just arent online) are sick with ME/CFS and have very obvious environmental problems. this leads to a type of selection bias where #pwME think this phenomenon is less common with ME/CFS than it is.

@Hip i just wanted to tag you bc I think this last part explains something about why the ME/CFS community doesnt know more about how many people are affected by this stuff

Last edited by a moderator:

wabi-sabi

Of course we have cognitive difficulties but patients , even bedridden ones, have figured out things researchers missed.

Our lived experience is important of course, but t's just not the same thing as having a PhD in some field that can help us. I can no more research potential cures than I can land a crashing jumbo jet even though I have flown on a plane many times, and know just how that feels, including some very scary turbulence.

The hard and scary part of this situation is that ME/CFS is a very complicated illness and can't be cured without the help of modern medicine. Getting access to medical care is tremendously difficult when we are dismissed as "all in your head". This is the main benefit of citizen science, in my opinion- getting medical practitioners to hear us, see us, and take us seriously. Not because we can do the actual science part.

Again, the OMF is doing everything it can, as @lenora so eloquently posted. Go after someone who needs to have a fire lit under them, not those who are already working all out.

frozenborderline

OK....Let me say that Ron Davis's biggest concern is his son, Whitney. Can you blame him? The man is now 80 yrs. old and cannot possibly be studying everything.

Whitney became ill while traveling the world, and was in India when he became horribly ill. We all know the environment there is a disaster, but it's a different environment. His father was one of the first to use abilify)very, very small amounts only) on his son, just to get him back and forth to the hospital for the change in his feeding tube.
I cannot blame ron for caring about his son above everything else, but he is running a research org that is not doing projects called "the save whitney project" or the "end whitney's specific subset project", but "the end ME/CFS project". people talk as if this man is above criticism or should be. I respect him. i criticize people i respect. The more people tell me reasons why i apparently shouldnt criticize him, the more I think its warranted. I think my project has a low chance of working, but so does basically every idea we have, and low isnt zero. When someone has a better idea for how to achieve the goals i outlined here, I will strongly consider it.

At some point speculating on whitneys condition may be off topic,as the mods seem to have reminded me but just to briefly respond to you, bc you mentioned it, none of whitneys disease course surprises me or is outside the bounds of my model. I dont believe in a sole environmental toxin cause. What I believe is more along the lines of @Hip 's "dual factor theory" in that infections, parasites, and environmental toxins interact. the whole world has many of the same environmental toxins, they're a more local problem. the same one could be in san francisco and mumbai. but certainly infectious diseases or parasites while travelling could interact with environment. im talking about the external and internal microbiome and how they interact.

You're right....he's capable of moving into other areas, but if the environment is your main cause of concern, then please contact someone like Julie Rehmeyer (Cort Johnson may know how....try to reach him at Health Rising).
I don't know how contacting Julie would help. Julie is currently ill, and not recovered from surgery, I am not aware at all of her organizing research or advocacy efforts. I have talked to julie plenty. we are on the same page on some things, on different pages on others, but also, I don't know that theres currently something i could ask her that would answer the questions im trying to answer through appealing to researchers.
Zero in on what you believe your main problem is....if the OMF hasn't responded to your needs by now, it probably won't.

Dr. Davis is an exceptional man who has done a lot for us. There are so many different needs and yes, there are other researchers, but to the best of my knowledge the "volunteer researchers" for him aren't doing environmental work. I may be wrong, but go to the sources who have been trying to do what you need/want. I really wish you well....it's a tough journey. Yours, Lenora.
Well, the thing is, Ron Davis actually said he would make it a priority to research mold, and they're the most well funded ME/CFS research org. the only orrg i can think of being more open to toxins research is polybio, but they are very, very, very far from being funded fully or even at the level of the OMF, i think. If they do get enough funding to start working on a similar amount of projects, I will switch my attention to them. I also have a website aimed at pressuring walter koroshetz, but that will have to wait until i'm less sick. regardless, i will stop this either when the OMF says in a straightforward way "No, we wont research this", or when they research it. closure--that would be great. then i'll move on to another group.

as far as what you said about dr davis, i agree he's exceptional, but I dont feel that I need yet feel any gratitude toward him until there are results that can be translated into something that will help my health. Its just not in my emotional capacity to feel gratitude just in exchange for effort, that hasnt produced something to help. I feel more gratitude to the non credentialed citizen scientists that have figured out connections like cci and me/cfs (jeff wood, jen brea, in particular), and those who have figured out the connection of mold to me/cfs, which actually helped me directly , and could translate to research discoveries (lisa petrison, erik johnson). as ive said repeatedly i do not feel i have any particular ill will to dr davis. but neither do i have this attitude i had when i first got sick and was naive, of pure adulation toward him and thinking that "the science" can make us better without any particular direction or funding.

oh and I'd add, I probably feel more gratitude toward @Hip , who I believe has some science credentials but not in biology, for his compilation of research and resources. I mean, it may seem harsh to some, but i feel gratitude towards those that have helped me, and not much more than that.

Where are your parents and are they able to help you? I know your sister is also ill, a very sad occurrence.

Does she also have CCI....a diagnosis?
My sister doesnt have cci yet, she just has mcas, as well as , more broadly , environmental toxin illness, whatever we want to call that diagnosis, whichy is more than mcas.

honestly, with the way things are going, she may end up with cci, despite knowing how to avoid toxins, because the world is getting more toxic, and nobody is really studying this connection. but we pray she doesnt.
es, I understand that the road to surgery is a difficult one...I've been through it. Have you been diagnosed as actually having environmental problems? Then the only real recommendation I can make is for you to contact Julie Rehmeyer and see what she suggests. I tried to look for her book in case she had some contact info, but couldn't locate it. Which doesn't mean much...you should all of my books, especially if my husband is near them.
I have been diagnosed as having environmental problems (MCAS and CIRS), but I dont even think that matters. I mean its obvious. its the best level of evidence we can get now without further study is how the environmental changes affect both subjective (how i feel) symptoms and objective ones (my heart rate when standing versus sitting in various environments, for just one example, is always so vastly different).

I dont know what i would contact julie for. i read part of her book and liked it. i have been in contact with her, plenty, in the past. early on she told me a good place in new mexico. but I think we are at a point where we either know the same things and have the same problems, or have diverged in our interpretations. we have different scientific theories. I also dont know that she is currently working on research, bc it is my understanding that she isn't currently well.

the thing is, I know , in a practical sense, how to deal wtih my environment. but its insanely expensive, and when i stop having the money to do it, I will not have any options, at all. it would be less difficult and expensive and require less trial by error, if we could study the exact things causing it. thats why im so passionate about it. there aren't really any doctors that can help environmental problems much, at least not in a way that has high rates of succe4ss, or standardization, or scientific backing. the best info so far comes from citizen scientists, but I do wish that we could have more solid peer reviewed studies, but people refuse to study it.