• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

COMT Problems

GreenMachineX

I just finished looking through my 23andme for mthfr, comt and vdr taq. Apparently I'm negative for mthfr, double positive for comt (or whatever super slow comt would be) and hetero for vdr taq. According to Dr Yasko, I should be using hydroxycobalamin and adenocobalamin.

Now I know why methyl vitamins, too much vitamin D, quercetin, and several other things set me off with insurmountable anxiety and irritability. I ordered the Seeking Health multi that only uses folinic acid and hydroxycobalamin/adenocobalamin. I feel like I've wasted so many years without this info. I pray it works for me.

Is anyone else struggling with comt mutations?
What do you take or do to help? I'm taking 450mg Magnesium Citrate already, but I'm not seeing much else. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

CSMLSM

This is interesting to me because years ago I sent 23andme an email asking about thease types of genetic test and if they did them. They said-

(In 2017)
Annie, Apr 4, 2:09 PM PDT:
Hello,
Thank you for contacting the 23andMe Team. 23andMe does not include a health report incorporating the MTHFR gene and we do not offer what is often referred to as a methylation analysis.
To see the full list of the topics addressed by our health reports, please visit: www.23andme.com/en-gb/health/reports/
I apologize for the inconvenience. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.
Best regards,
Annie
The 23andMe Team
* 23andMe Services are for research, informational, and educational use only. We do not provide medical advice and the service is not considered a diagnostic test. If you have concerns or questions about what you learn through 23andMe, you should contact your physician or other health care provider.

Apr 2, 5:52 AM PDT:
Hi,
I would like to know what polymorphisms you test for that are associated with the MTHFR gene. What genes do you test that are associated with Cobalamin (vitamin B12), any genes related to the methylation cycle in general and which polymorphisms tested that are associated with those genes.
Thank you in advance,

GreenMachineX

This is interesting to me because years ago I sent 23andme an email asking about thease types of genetic test and if they did them. They said-

(In 2017)
Annie, Apr 4, 2:09 PM PDT:
Hello,
Thank you for contacting the 23andMe Team. 23andMe does not include a health report incorporating the MTHFR gene and we do not offer what is often referred to as a methylation analysis.
To see the full list of the topics addressed by our health reports, please visit: www.23andme.com/en-gb/health/reports/
I apologize for the inconvenience. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.
Best regards,
Annie
The 23andMe Team
* 23andMe Services are for research, informational, and educational use only. We do not provide medical advice and the service is not considered a diagnostic test. If you have concerns or questions about what you learn through 23andMe, you should contact your physician or other health care provider.

Apr 2, 5:52 AM PDT:
Hi,
I would like to know what polymorphisms you test for that are associated with the MTHFR gene. What genes do you test that are associated with Cobalamin (vitamin B12), any genes related to the methylation cycle in general and which polymorphisms tested that are associated with those genes.
Thank you in advance,
What I did was search through the raw data after logging into the actual website, and search the one I wanted. They may have not done it before, but it's there now.

CSMLSM

Hi GreenMachineX it is nice to meet you, my name is Daniel.

I just meant its cool they do it now and we all have access to it. If we need it.

Daniel

GreenMachineX

Hi GreenMachineX it is nice to meet you, my name is Daniel.

I just meant its cool they do it now and we all have access to it. If we need it.

Daniel
Gotcha, yeah, definitely. I have high hopes that this is the next breakthrough in my health, or wellbeing I should say. Having a bunch of bizarre symptoms I can't explain is one thing, but then tack on extreme anxiety on top, then all of a sudden every symptom I have also is a symptom of something emergency dangerous like rhabdomyolosis, heart attack, hyponatremia, heart failure, cancer, or something else equally ridiculous to jump to. Every day becomes a nightmare.

CSMLSM

Gotcha, yeah, definitely. I have high hopes that this is the next breakthrough in my health, or wellbeing I should say. Having a bunch of bizarre symptoms I can't explain is one thing, but then tack on extreme anxiety on top, then all of a sudden every symptom I have also is a symptom of something emergency dangerous like rhabdomyolosis, heart attack, hyponatremia, heart failure, cancer, or something else equally ridiculous to jump to. Every day becomes a nightmare.
I can completely relate to how you are right now.

Please dont let Doctors make you feel like you have to prove anything. They treat us the way they do to protect themselves from the fact, they dont know what to do and most Doctors have a superiority complex.

look for answers for yourself and take time. Try to learn to guide your Doctor rather than tell him. They have a superiority complex even if you are right why would they entertain it, hard to believe but in my experience the rule not the example.
This is how I feel after my experiences, it is an opinion.

I hope that makes sense to you, I have made a few assumptions.
This is the condition of everything and nothing. A cruel condition for sure.

Daniel

Last edited by a moderator: