• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

comparing LDN to oxymatrine

Hi all! I have posted a few times about oxymatrine and LDN before. I trialed LDN and basically it pushed me from moderate CFS to severe CFS. For this reason, I am very nervous to try new treatments, especially since many things make us worse before we get better. I am afraid I just don't have it in me to get any worse at the moment. Despite all of this, I am still considering oxymatrine/equilibrant, since I have tested positive for coxsackie.

I know LDN and oxymatrine are both considered to be immune modulators. So, my questions are:
  • Do you think I will react to oxymatrine in the same way that I did to LDN?
  • Has anyone taken both? (especially people who reacted poorly to LDN)
  • Do you think I should try oxymatrine?
Thank you all in advance for your time :)

JES

For me, definitely not the same. LDN works mainly on opioid receptors and there is some evidence it may reduce microglial activation. In the beginning, I noticed improved sleep and reduced pain while on LDN. In long term, I think it might have made me slightly worse as well.

Oxymatrine, I only tried for a couple of months. The effect I got from oxymatrine was quite similar to some other immune stimulator herbs such as andrographis. In theory, it should work for enteroviruses and perhaps other viral infections, while LDN probably does nothing much in specific to enterovirus infection and is more effective for autoimmune type symptoms, based on anecdotal evidence.

Wishful

As with JES, LDN seemed to work for me via opiod receptors. I didn't notice any effects I thought were immune modulating.

Elderberries are immunostimulants, and they make me feel very much worse. We all react differently to chemicals, but I prefer to avoid immunostimulants. For that matter, I tried some immunosuppressants (cyclosporin in particular) which had no noticeable effect, so I don't put much hope in immunomodulators for helping my ME.

@JES & @Wishful, it seems you are in agreement! Thank you so much for both of your replies. I think I will try elderberries to some effect to see how they affect my condition. Though, I think immunomodulators and immunostimulants might work in different ways? I am unsure.

Wishful

Well, immunomodulators include anything that affects the immune system, one way or another. All immunosuppressors don't affect me, and I'm sure not all immunostimulants affect me. Try one or more and see what effects, if any, they have on your ME. Then you'll have a better idea of which ones might be worth experimenting further with, and which are best avoided.

FWIW, I tried one strong immunosuppressant (cyclosporin) which had zero effect. Cyclosporin doesn't cross the
BBB easily, which I consider possible evidence that an immunomodulator's effect on my ME takes place in my brain tissue. I don't have any counterevidence for this, but I haven't tried all that many immunomodulators that I know the BBB transport efficiency of.