• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Clonazepam (Klonopin) stops my symptoms almost completely

LINE

I was thinking something similar, apparently 450mg/day is the max dose recommended for fibromyalgia, i was thinking of trying that and if it doesn't work then tapering off.
Need to make an appt with my doc to get the higher dose.

GABA doesn't cross the blood brain barrier. A few sources like to claim natural source can but both types being molecularly identical it makes no sense.
That said there are other ways to raise brain GABA, with some success.

The GABA is lozenge based, so it dissolves under the tongue so it passes efficiently, it worked within 30 minutes. Taking orally never worked.

Magnesium also helps to maintain GABA in the synapse along with other nutrients such as B6.

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
The GABA is lozenge based, so it dissolves under the tongue so it passes efficiently, it worked within 30 minutes. Taking orally never worked.
The issue is not getting into the bloodstream but getting into the brain, as the blood brain barrier prevents GABA from crossing into the brain.
So i am surprised that the lozenge works. Are there other ingredients that might account for the lozenge having an appreciable effect?

Magnesium also helps to maintain GABA in the synapse along with other nutrients such as B6.
In my case magnesium has no noticeable affect.

Alvin2

Nutrients don't work like pills, with an instant noticeable effect. If you have one, you're likely extremely deficient. In the case of magnesium, it's used in multiple pathways, so perhaps the first amount you take is going elsewhere and you need more to improve this pathway.
I took a teaspoon of Natural Calm magnesium daily for 2-3 months iirc. No energy effect unfortunately.
I have also tried magnesium biglycinate for a month-ish, no effect either.

vision blue

One
Yikes, i can't tell i am taking it.
Wish i knew why.

Not sure if i should ask for higher dose or to discontinue it.

One idea that comes to mind is ydid you say you were/are taking PRE gabapentin. If so, maybe the enzyme in your digestive track. that is supposed to convert it to the active compound (gabapentin) is in short supply or not there at all. Why not ask for the older (preformed) gabapentin rather than the pro-drug you've tried?

Last edited:

Alvin2

One

One idea that comes to mind is your taking PRE gabapentin. So maybe the enzyme in your digestive track. that is supposed to convert it to the active compound (gabapentin) is in short supply or not there as well. Why not ask for the older (preformed) gabapentin rather than the pro-drug you've tried?
Not according to Wikipedia
Pregabalin undergoes little or no metabolism.[5][16][79] In experiments using nuclear medicine techniques, it was revealed that approximately 98% of the radioactivity recovered in the urine was unchanged pregabalin.[4] The main metabolite is N-methylpregabalin.[4]

LINE

The issue is not getting into the bloodstream but getting into the brain, as the blood brain barrier prevents GABA from crossing into the brain.
So i am surprised that the lozenge works. Are there other ingredients that might account for the lozenge having an appreciable effect?

In my case magnesium has no noticeable affect.

I can also use just GABA vs. the lozenge which does have some other ingredients. The same thing happens. I just talked to a CFS with anxiety, he had the same reactions as did his wife.

Source Naturals Serene Science, GABA Calm

Learner1

I took a teaspoon of Natural Calm magnesium daily for 2-3 months iirc. No energy effect unfortunately.
I have also tried magnesium biglycinate for a month-ish, no effect either.
Natural Calm magnesium has arsenic in it according to testing by Labdoor. I find that magnesium malate and glycinate from companies who don't use contaminated ingredients works well. Arsenic interferes with ATP production.

Alvin2

I can also use just GABA vs. the lozenge which does have some other ingredients. The same thing happens. I just talked to a CFS with anxiety, he had the same reactions as did his wife.

Source Naturals Serene Science, GABA Calm
I think i used Natural Factors iirc, but no dice for me.
Natural Calm magnesium has arsenic in it according to testing by Labdoor. I find that magnesium malate and glycinate from companies who don't use contaminated ingredients works well. Arsenic interferes with ATP production.
Magnesium Biglycinate also did nothing for me.

vision blue

Not according to Wikipedia

Ok sorry if i confused the mechanism of action. Must have been misremembering the mechanism of action and confusing it with a different pair of meds . So not a pro drug then - but does work differently than Gabapentin. If youve never tried the latter, id vote for trying that rather than upping dose on something that doesnt work. But naybe your just a non responder - well known for gabapentin at keast. Im the opposite of you. Benzos actually make me screqm out loud agonizing (when given by iv at least) and even the tiniesr dose of (gabapentinn(at least applied trabsdermally) causes such relief of insomnia and shooting nerves and aches and pains i dont wabt to take it for fear of utter dependenxe Woukd love to kniw more on the me hasism by which there is a known individual difference in gabapentin. (Ive never tried lyrica)

Alvin2

Perhaps that's why it didn't help you then.
That would be my guess as well.
So i'm looking elsewhere, need to find out whats going on so i can find something that will help.

LINE

That would be my guess as well.
So i'm looking elsewhere, need to find out whats going on so i can find something that will help.

Vitamin D status, B vitamins are complimentary to magnesium. Magnesium is also sensitive to toxins, antioxidants may help with magnesium. Also, could try different forms such as mag glycinate or mag chloride.

Alvin2

Vitamin D status, B vitamins are complimentary to magnesium. Magnesium is also sensitive to toxins, antioxidants may help with magnesium. Also, could try different forms such as mag glycinate or mag chloride.
Tried them all, have to take vitamin D for life as my body can't create it so thats all covered (and even tested every 3 months).
I'm finished with beating a dead horse, this is not my issue so i need to find what is.

LINE

Sometimes it is better to forgo testing and just treat. I have a list of affordable, effective and safe items that can help detoxify. Let me know you want a list.

Alvin2

Sometimes it is better to forgo testing and just treat. I have a list of affordable, effective and safe items that can help detoxify. Let me know you want a list.
Go for it, no harm in having more information.