• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

China is using high dose vitamin C therapy to help treat coronavirus patients

JES

This. Why else would they be so focused on mocking down Vit C?? Why not focus on any other drug since there is not enough data on any of them to draw conclusion of effectiveness? Also, there isn't enough data to conclude ineffectiveness of any drugs that are trailing now. Hellish greed of big pharma is the only anwser I see.

They are mocking down other drugs. Just Google hydroxychloroquine + Trump and most experts you see interviewed are arguing why it's not a good idea to use it with the current information available. A couple of days ago there were headlines about someone in desperation taking aquarium chloroquine phosphate and ending up dead. This was used as an argument against hydroxychloroquine :rolleyes:. Actually Dr. Fauci mentioned in a recent interview he was far less concerned about self-medication with vitamin C than hydroxychloroquine.

Anyway, this is another debate, should "possibly efficient" drugs or supplements, including hydroxychloroquine and vitamin C, be administered in a crisis situation like this despite lack of high-quality evidence and trials ? In my opinion we should be exploring options and perhaps find some sort of middle ground. Deaths are piling up and the biggest wave might be over by the time any treatment gets tested to the point we have rigorous evidence.

Last edited:

Wally

As to the discussion of which drugs/supplements should be tried for treatment of this virus. I think as part of that debate, you also need to figure out whose hands are currently at the controls making those decisions and who may be farther out of camera range telling them which controls they should or should not touch.. 🤨

Hipsman

They are mocking down other drugs. Just Google hydroxychloroquine + Trump and most experts you see interviewed are arguing why it's not a good idea to use it with the current information available. A couple of days ago there were headlines about someone in desperation taking aquarium chloroquine phosphate and ending up dead. This was used as an argument against hydroxychloroquine :rolleyes:. Actually Dr. Fauci mentioned in a recent interview he was far less concerned about self-medication with vitamin C than hydroxychloroquine.
Unlike with Vit C, this is good journalism b/c you don't want people to use aquarium chloroquine phosphate and end up dead. Also, since Trump advocated for it and it will have widespread clinical use it is inevitable that there is allot of attention to it for scientific and political reasons.

High dose IV Vit C on the other hand didn't kill anyone and is not advocated for clinical use at all in America (as far as I know). This is why I think it's undeniable that the big pharma greed is what's driving this mocking down of Vit C.

Wayne

The below linked article touches on conventional medicine's avoidance of using IV Vit. C to treat sepsis (which many with the coronavirus die from ), even though it's well documented to save lives.

Modern Medicine’s Aversion to Vitamin C Therapy Results in a Half-Million Needless Deaths From Sepsis in U.S. Hospitals Every Year - LewRockwell LewRockwell.com

While modern medicine casts a blind eye towards vitamin therapy and even exhibits open disdain for health practitioners and patients who incorporate vitamins into daily health regimens, it now appears a half-million Americans are losing their lives to a mortal bloodstream infection called sepsis that is induced by a deficiency of vitamin C.
After three decades, and more than one-hundred failed clinical trials of synthetic drugs to quell the most common cause of death in American hospitals, modern medicine is dragging its feet over what has now been demonstrated to be obvious — intravenous vitamin C demonstrably reduces death from sepsis. Sepsis patients are being brought back from the precipice of death, enough to make ICU nurses cry tears of joy. But medical overseers have attempted to obscure this fact.​
Here is what modern medicine did to quash the compelling though preliminary data showing vitamin C saves lives of sepsis patients...​

The East Virginia Medical School has released its protocol for treating covid-19 patients that includes high dose vitamin C. This been developed by Dr. Paul Marik whose vitamin C therapy for successfully treating sepsis patients has caused a ferocious backlash from the medical establishment in hoc to big pharma.

https://www.evms.edu/media/evms_pub...cine/EVMS_Critical_Care_COVID-19_Protocol.pdf

Please find below an impassioned defence by Dr. Marik in January 2020 of his approach to treating sepsis with high dose vitamin C. There are numerous fraudulent studies out there trying to undermine his vitamin C therapy.
Rather shameful trying to deny the efficacy of a cheap safe treatment that is saving lives all because its cuts into the profits of big pharma companies.

"This is an invited presentation by the NIH with a focus on the role of vitamin C in the treatment and prevention of COVID-19. Current research and preliminary results from clinical trials and practical applications are discussed. Dr. Richard Cheng, MD, PhD, has played an integral role in the development of treatment guidelines currently being used in critical care settings in China.''

Wayne

The article highlights an immunosuppressive drug, but high dose Vitamin C and other therapies were also used. -- Typical to leave out the Vitamin C part in the title of the article.

Emergency room doctor, near death with coronavirus, saved with experimental treatment

Snippet:

"The immune system normally uses proteins called cytokines as weapons in fighting a disease. For unknown reasons in some COVID-19 patients, the immune system first fails to respond quickly enough and then floods the body with cytokines, destroying blood vessels and filling the lungs with fluid.
The doctors tried a drug called Actemra, which was designed to treat rheumatoid arthritis but also approved in 2017 to treat cytokine storms in cancer patients.
“Our role was to quiet the storm,” said Dr. Samuel Youssef, a cardiac surgeon. “Dr. Padgett was able to clear the virus” once his immune system was back in balance.
Dr. Matt Hartman, a cardiologist, said that after four days on the immunosuppressive drug, supplemented by high-dose vitamin C and other therapies, the level of oxygen in Padgett’s blood improved dramatically. On March 23, doctors were able to take him off life support."

Wally

For those who are interested in more discussion and case studies re the use of high dose IV Vitamin C, there is a video (published on 4/17/2020) on Dr. Shiva Ayyadurai’s channel under the title “Dr. Shiva Live: Media Forced To Report High Dose Vitamin C Saves ER Doctor”. Due to the fact that Dr. Shiva makes some political references in this video (he is running for the U.S. Senate in Massachusetts) the video cannot be posted on the Forum per a recent Forum rule that “no link” to videos with any political content can be posted. Therefore, if you want to see what info. he is discussing about Vitamin C being a potential treatment for COVID-19, you will need to locate this reference on your own.

Last edited:

Wayne

Forum rule that “no link” to videos with any political content can be posted.
Hi @Wally Thanks for sharing the location of that video. I find it hard to believe this forum rule would apply to this video. o_O I didn't watch the whole thing, but other than a bit of pharma bashing at the beginning, I didn't consider it overtly political. -- Here's a couple of things I learned as he discussed the story of the ER doctor who had his life save from taking Vitamin C:

When it appeared he only had about a day to live, his fellow doctors decided to focus on the "astronomical levels of inflammation in the body". resulting from a cytokine storm, which led them to doing the Vitamin C treatment. He also mentions the power of synergy when using antiinflammatory agents. He showed how much inflammation could be reduced with turmeric alone, and then with resveratrol alone. He then showed how combining the two at half the original strengths more than doubled its anti-inflammatory effects.

Wally

@Wayne and @Rufous McKinney - I do not want to violate the rules about discussing Moderation decisions, so I will just say that I posted some videos because they had content about subject matter that we were discussing on the Forum and they also included some politicians and/or political opinions. It was not my intention to violate a Forum rule, but it is really hard not to do so when sharing a video related to this coronavirus situation. This is especially true for me right now because my computer has blown up its brain 🤯 and I am working off an iPad. I am unable to figure out how to clip videos to only post specific sections of the video. I use to be able to do this, but the free applications I used before are no longer working with my iPad.

Anyhow, the few Moderators we have are working really hard behind the scenes to keep everyone as content as possible to not get tempers flaring 😡 in these unusual and difficult times,, especially when there could be political references that get added into topics related to the coronavirus pandemic . For the sake of trying to keep the peace ✌️and not cause them more work 🥵, I won’t post any videos that could have a suggestion of political subject matter. Hopefully, my attempt to give a general direction to where a video can be found that could contain information that might be of interest to Forum members, but with the proviso that it could also contain some political content, will not require Moderators to screen a whole video should someone believe it violates a Forum rule. 😁

pamojja

Wayne

AANP Urges Physicians and Hospitals to Utilize IV Vitamin C to Combat the COVID-19 Pandemic
Wednesday, April 1, 2020

The American Association of Naturopathic Physicians (AANP), representing 8,000 licensed naturopathic doctors (NDs) in the United States, encourages healthcare practitioners on the front lines of treating moderate to severe cases of COVID-19 to utilize intravenous Vitamin C (IVC, also known as IV Ascorbic Acid) as an adjunctive measure in the care of their patients.
Naturopathic doctors are the nation’s foremost experts in natural therapeutics and have extensive training in drug-nutrient and drug-herb interactions. Drawing from our long history of safe and effective use of intravenous Vitamin C, we urge our medical colleagues to incorporate this treatment from the naturopathic medicine toolkit immediately in an effort to save lives and reduce long-term morbidity. While we applaud the use of IVC by a small number of hospitals in the U.S., it unfortunately remains a rarely utilized intervention. Read the full statement here.

Wally

AANP Urges Physicians and Hospitals to Utilize IV Vitamin C to Combat the COVID-19 Pandemic
Wednesday, April 1, 2020

The American Association of Naturopathic Physicians (AANP), representing 8,000 licensed naturopathic doctors (NDs) in the United States, encourages healthcare practitioners on the front lines of treating moderate to severe cases of COVID-19 to utilize intravenous Vitamin C (IVC, also known as IV Ascorbic Acid) as an adjunctive measure in the care of their patients.

@Wayne - You may be interested in taking a look at CNN business interview with Youtube CEO, Susan Wojcicki, on 4/19/2020. (Length of video is approximately 4 minutes.)

Inside Youtube’s ‘numerous policy changes’ during the pandemic

Reliable Sources

“I never thought we’d have so many videos of hand washing.”
Youtube CEO Susan Wojcicki remarks.

She says the online video giant is focused on “raising authoritative information”, like videos from news sources and removing information that is false and “medically unsubstantiated”. . .

Youtube CEO, Susan Wojcick, states:
. . . We also talk about removing information that is problematic.

Of course anything that is medically unsubstantiated - so people say take Vitamin C, take Tumeric, like those will cure you.

Those would be examples of things that would go against our policy.

Anything that goes against World Health Organization recommendations will be a violation of our policy.

So “remove” would be part of our policy. . . .

Last edited:

Wally

There is another interview that Dr. Cheng took part in that he published on his Youtube Channel (Dr. Richard Cheng MD PhD) on 4/172020. This interview provides additional details about the China Vitamin C trials, along with his suggestions on the dosing of Vitamin C both when experiencing symptoms from an illness (like COVID-19) and as a preventive measure to boost immunity and to try to prevent or lessen the severity of a future illness.

Since this interview had a reference to a politician and the comment could be considered political, I will not post it on the Forum. Note this is not a comment made by Dr. Cheng, but by someone else who was hosting the interview. To find the interview on Youtube, search using the title of the interview, which is “Successful Treatment of Covid-19 in China”.

Also there was discussion in this video about whether Vitamin C product swas currently available in the U.S. or if there are shortages. I know a couple of weeks ago that Vitamin C , in the form of Vitamin C being used in the China trials, sodium ascorbate powder, was on backorder in every online store that I checked (I checked over a dozen stores/distributors).

Tonight I checked again and it appears that Vitamin C products like powder or crystal sodium ascorbate and powder or crystal ascorbic acid are back in stock at a number of online retailers (such as Swanson Vitamins, iherb etc...). Dr. Cheng recommends that people use Vitamin C products that contain no fillers or other ingredients just straight vitamin C. The form of Vitamin C that would be most likely not to contain other ingredients would be Vitamin C in a powder or crystal form. Sodium ascorbate is the buffered form of Vitamin C.

Here are links to sodium ascorbate products (this is the buffered form of Vitamin C) from Swanson Vitamins and and from iHerb.. 1) https://www.swansonvitamins.com/swa...rbate-vitamin-c-powder-4-23-oz-120-grams-pwdr and 2) https://www.iherb.com/pr/Now-Foods-Sodium-Ascorbate-Powder-8-oz-227-g/795

These two brands sell for about the same price when comparing quantity of product in each container. *Note - this is not a recommendation for a particular product, supplement company or a recommendation that Vitamin C is something you should take. As with any substance you ingest, there can be contraindications based on your current health status, other drugs or supplements that you may be taking and/or the amount/dose of Vitamin C that you will use..