• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CAUTION: Vitamin B12 Sublinguals — The Citric Acid Additive Can Erode Tooth Enamel

Lala

Thank you for bringing this topic. I have this problem too and now I am finally aware why it is happening.

kerrilyn

I switched over from Jarrow to Enzymatic Therapy recently. I noticed some mild tooth sensitivity with Jarrow in certain areas of my mouth but the ET tabs make my teeth hurt more no matter where I place it. When it's under my tongue, it will ache under there too. Plus they dissolve much faster than the Jarrow ones did. The Jarrows would take 45 mins to dissolve, the ET are gone in 10 mins or less. I've had to use sensitive toothpaste for many years now. I hope these tabs won't make my already horrible teeth worse.

L'engle

moogle
I switched over from Jarrow to Enzymatic Therapy recently. I noticed some mild tooth sensitivity with Jarrow in certain areas of my mouth but the ET tabs make my teeth hurt more no matter where I place it. When it's under my tongue, it will ache under there too. Plus they dissolve much faster than the Jarrow ones did. The Jarrows would take 45 mins to dissolve, the ET are gone in 10 mins or less. I've had to use sensitive toothpaste for many years now. I hope these tabs won't make my already horrible teeth worse.

I also find the Enzymatic therapy tabs tough on my mouth. They aren't acidy like the Jarrows, but they have fructose in them rather than xylitol. I think both brans should come up with tooth/mouth safe formulas. I'm getting irritated patches from takinga combination of Enzymatic Therapy and Jarrow tablets.

dannybex

Yes -- a big thank you to Hip for bringing this up. I've been (finally) able to slowly start with small amounts of methyl-b12 in the last 2 weeks, but noticed over the last 4-5 days that I was developing some pain in certain parts of my mouth as well. I thought it was due to a tiny amount of molasses I take each day, but it stopped once I stopped the methyl-b12 2 days ago.

I'll be looking into alternative ways of getting the mb-12.

Adster

Dan, can you get Sensodyne toothpaste there? It's pretty much eliminated the pain for me caused by the Jarrows tabs. It takes a month or 2 to kick in(it makes the teeth less porous). I don't know about the acid erosion though.

dannybex

Well mixing the B12 with a pinch of sodium bicarbonate powder should neutralize the acid and solve the problem (providing the sodium bicarbonate does not interfere with the B12).

I have often crushed down the B12 tablets with a tablespoon and placed the resulting B12 power over a wider region of my upper gums, in the hope of getting better absorption from greater surface contact area. This B12 powder could be mixed with just a pinch of sodium bicarbonate powder before you place it on the gums.

Next time I will buy the Enzymatic Therapy though.

Did Freddd or Rich ever chime in on the sodium bicarbonate question?

Also, has anyone tried the "Natural Factors" brand? It doesn't have citric acid, but does have a little milk sugar...

Thanks,

d.

dannybex

Dan, can you get Sensodyne toothpaste there? It's pretty much eliminated the pain for me caused by the Jarrows tabs. It takes a month or 2 to kick in(it makes the teeth less porous). I don't know about the acid erosion though.

Hi Adster,

I can get the Sensodyne, and am glad to hear it's helped for you. I just wonder if it may 'mask' the pain, rather than actually protect the tooth/gums. Do you know? How's it going now Adster?

Adster

Hi Dan. I don't know whether it stops the erosion or just the pain. I know it works by depositing strontium into the porous structure of the tooth and kind of seals them up and protects the nerve. Whether that makes the tooth less susceptible to decay I do not know.

I'm starting to come out of a rough patch here, so things are ok. I did a couple of rounds of chelation at a higher dose and it was too much for me, and a couple of other supps were causing problems. I think I'm back on track now! The chelation still seems to be an important part of my getting better.

Hip

I would go for the re-mineralizing toothpastes that rebuilt your tooth enamel, rather than Sensodyne, which just blocks the pain. Tooth re-mineralization occurs all the time; you just need to speed it up.

dannybex

Are there brands you recommend Hip? Never really heard of toothpastes that actually remineralize enamel...I would think that would be something they'd have to prove to the FDA, which would then make it a drug. ???

thanks.

Hip

I used Arm & Hammer remineralizing toothpaste:

http://sale.dentist.net/products/arm-and-hammer-age-defying-toothpaste

Remineralizing occurs when there is calcium and phosphate in the mouth, plus alkaline conditions. Calcium and phosphate are found in saliva, as saliva is the body's natural remineralizing chemical. I believe these remineralizing toothpaste supply calcium and phosphate, plus probably something like sodium bicarbonate, for alkalinity.

dannybex

Thanks Hip. That's good to hear. I'll see if I can find one without the fluoride, as I'm trying to avoid it, but thanks.

Main question: Have you been able to restart the sublingual b12 since using the toothpaste?

Hip

Thanks Hip. That's good to hear. I'll see if I can find one without the fluoride, as I'm trying to avoid it, but thanks.

Main question: Have you been able to restart the sublingual b12 since using the toothpaste?

I haven't chanced it. I don't want to risk tooth enamel thinning again.

I have been experimenting with using B12 drops rubbed onto thin areas of skin, such as the underarm area. It works, but you tend to get your clothes stained a bit red. Comes out out with washing though.

I wrote to Holistic Heal to let them know the damage that citric acid preservative does to the tooth enamel (I think it was the Holistic Heal liquid B12 that did the most damage to my teeth, as it runs right into the gums), but Holistic Heal rudely did not even reply to me.

I was hoping they would say "Thanks very much for pointing this out, we will look into this". But Holistic Heal said nothing.

Hip

PS: If you can't find a fluoride-free toothpaste, I suspect that brushing with bicarb of soda (very good for your teeth anyway), mixed with dicalcium phosphate (a gray power), may also work to remineralize.

Rockt

I'll see if I can find one without the fluoride

Please post if you find anything.

mixed with dicalcium phosphate (a gray power)

Where would you find this?

Thanks for any info. Teeth are killing me.

dannybex

Just wanted to note that even though I've been having some REALLY rough days, weeks lately, I think these are due to salicylate intolerance (which is related to sulfation/transsulphuration issues downstream(?) from methylation), the one glimmer of hope is that tiny bits of adenob12 have brought glimmers/feelings of hope, rather than despair and anxiety.

And the adb12 -- Dibencozide -- from Source Naturals -- doesn't have any citric acid in it. Also, Prohealth makes a hb12 that doesn't have citric acid.

zzzzzzzzz.........klunk.

Adster

I'll see if I can find one without the fluoride

Please post if you find anything.

mixed with dicalcium phosphate (a gray power)

Where would you find this?

Thanks for any info. Teeth are killing me.

Horse supply stores appear to stock it. I wonder if we can come up with a recipe for a treatment that could help those of us with acid worn teeth, maybe like the fluoride treatments you get at the dentist where they soak your teeth using little cups in the mouth filled with an unbelievably bad tasting goo. I'm thinking bicarb and dicalcium phosphate mixed with a vegetable gum(guar/xantham) and water. Add some toothpaste if you want some fluoride. Maybe some xylitol too? Not sure if you can buy the tooth cups.

DAN - Glad to hear you had some hopeful feelings. May they continue.

Ukme just asked my question! I might be able to get hold of the methyl and hydroxy B12 injections via Dr Myhill.... just wondering if the dosages recommended by Rich and Fredd in the protocols would be directly translated into injectable amounts? Or do you need less because you are injecting?

I actually had the methyl B12 in injection form a while back from Dr Myhill when she had various restrictions on her practice... and before I had looked into this protocol. She suggested I injected 0.1ml per day... which is a tiny dose right?