• Phoenix Rising needs funds to operate: please consider donating to support PR

Carnivore Diet for ME?

what exactly do you eat? meat only? do you take any supplements to help w digestion (ie betaine HCL)? that's hard to digest w a dysfunctional gut

congrats on your success! it's good to hear...
Thanks! :)

Also, you are right about the HCL. I forgot to mention this, but in the beginning I could only eat smaller portions of mainly lean meat if I wanted no stomach upset. I played around some with different enzymes and HCL and I found that adding say Bio Gest from Thorne helped a lot. I'm actually seeing a gastroenterologist in two weeks to test for Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficieny and do a esophageal pH monitoring study.

Also I used to have bad gastritis and it was hard to take added HCL. However, it does seem like my stomach lining have healed up over the last couple of months, because I have no stomach irratation from HCL even in large amounts now. Hopefully I can get another gastroscopy done to find out if this is in fact true.

One of my doctors is trying to get me to add in some more carbs, but at this point I'm enjoying having a life so I will probably hold of a bit longer. Long term though I'm sure it would be ideal.

ebethc

Thanks! :)

Also, you are right about the HCL. I forgot to mention this, but in the beginning I could only eat smaller portions of mainly lean meat if I wanted no stomach upset. I played around some with different enzymes and HCL and I found that adding say Bio Gest from Thorne helped a lot. I'm actually seeing a gastroenterologist in two weeks to test for Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficieny and do a esophageal pH monitoring study.
How is exocrine pancreatic insufficiency diagnosed and what is the treatment?

Learner1

Thank you for explaining your diet.

My experience is vastly different thsn the writer of this article portrays, especially knowing that high oxidative and nitrosative stress have been found by multiple ME/CFS resrarchers. I was already eating vegetables and fruits with high antioxidant content, and taking ALA, A, C, E, glutathione precursors and glutathione.

I recently did an experiment doubling my antioxidant supplements, and found, much to my surprise, that my energy was vastly increased by reducing oxidative stress.

Ms. Ede says "Under normal circumstances, glutathione is sufficient to protect us from natural levels of oxidation, keeping oxidation and anti-oxidation forces in balance."

It is foolish, as an ME/CFS patient, to assume that this advice for "normal" people is right for people who are sick with a disease known to have increased oxidative stress.

I am not recommending to do as I do, but I do think its prudent to test ones antioxidant status before following any antioxidant advice.

And, unless you know otherwise, a carnivore diet has fewer antioxidants than one with vegetables and fruits.

I recently did an experiment doubling my antioxidant supplements, and found, much to my surprise, that my energy was vastly increased by reducing oxidative stress.

Ms. Ede says "Under normal circumstances, glutathione is sufficient to protect us from natural levels of oxidation, keeping oxidation and anti-oxidation forces in balance."

It is foolish, as an ME/CFS patient, to assume that this advice for "normal" people is right for people who are sick with a disease known to have increased oxidative stress.
I love Ms. Ede, but frankly I think she's wrong here. Obviously some antioxidants have questionable bioavailability, and they will only do something if the patient is actually running low. Basically, if you're not deficient then save yourself the money. (Although the definition of "deficient" is another matter. Replace "deficient" with "below your target concentration in your blood".) And then there is the question of what you're up against: If inflammation is fire and antioxidants are the extinguisher, they might control a small fire but don't expect the extinguisher to help if your house is on fire.

Turmeric is a good example, I take 450mg curcumin daily -- equivalent to 15g tumeric if we can trust advertising -- at ~20 cents a shot but I don't think I'll restock my supply once I run out. It's something that I just wanted to try for half a year. I knew that the bioavailability was a concern when I ordered it, but then, we don't have a lot of stuff that will combat brain inflammation.

Supplementation with alpha-lipoic acid, vitamin C and vitamin D does help some patients, and a lot of us have low glutathione. Of course the benefits of antioxidants are long term and therefore difficult to single out against other treatments.

Just checking out Kwasniewski . https://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.com/2008/03/kwasniewski-praise-lard.html

" Vinka Peschak starts each day by knocking back a full cup of heavy whipping cream. ...In the middle of the day she might have a cup of coffee, "but only with a lot of heavy whipping cream in it." :vomit: Feel nauseous just reading that.
[...]
"On average, the diet recommends a whopping 250 grams of fat per day, about four times what the FDA recommended for the average person to maintain his/her weight and about 10 times the amount of saturated fat allowed. "

Don't think I could do this. ;)
Sounds like a pretty good diet. Lipophobia is something very new in our society! I grew up thinking fat was a bad thing, but have realized recently how great food tastes if you eat keto. Everybody else is envious if I tell them what I eat (meat, butter, lard, heavy cream, mascarpone cheese and the like). There is no scientific background for the limit of the saturated fat, to the contrary, all recent research is very clear that we get sick following a high-carb diet. Gary Taubes wrote some wonderful books about this, check out his talks on youtube.

I reacted like you when I first heard about ketogenic diets, but now I can hardly imagine eating something else.