• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

British Shows

YippeeKi YOW !!

It's as if the woodenness of British shows, the reservedness of the characters, the subtle emotiveness, the beautifully understated nature
Like Call The Midwife :cautious::cautious::rolleyes:?

This is just me, but I find much of British TV to be simplistic and kinda dull, with a few outstanding exceptions: right now, the only ones I can think of are Doc Martin, Luther, Sherlock, Victoria, The Durrells of Corfu, Poldark (both the new and the old) but I know there are others.

And much of American TV seems to pander to whatever seems to be selling in that moment, usually sex and violence. Which I dont object to when it's attached to really good writing and decent character depth and development, but that's usually found on cable TV, not network.

Last edited:

YippeeKi YOW !!

My favorite of favorites is 'I, Claudius'
How could I have forgotten I, Claudius. One of my all-time favorites, and brilliantly written. Historically accurate too, with a few flights of fancy and some artistic character license. But Robert Graves got the big picture absolutely right

The BBC was so sure it was going to be an abject failure (apparently the belief that all viewers are idiots isn't relegated to just the US) that the production budget was cut to a fraction of the original agreement, and they still produced an absolute, timeless, jewel.

It also still holds up brilliantly ...
some set in India are especially good,
The Jewel In The Crown ....
the Durrell's in Corfu
The Durrell's of Corfu .... One of the most charming, endearing, wonderfully written and produced shows of all time, utterly without smarm or coy cuteness. Just terrific !!! Can't say enough about it. It just finished it's three-season run so it shouldn;t be hard to find on PBS site .....

Last edited:

YippeeKi YOW !!

Some American shows even have the camera wobbling during a scene presumably to add effect...
This started with the incredibly good and waaaaay ahead of it's time network show Homicide , early 90's or late 80's I think..... written by the inimitable David Simon, who later expanded it to The Wire probably the most brilliant thing ever done on TV, maybe ever done on film.....they used a handheld for many of the scenes to give it more gritty authenticity and immediacy than the over-produced usual network fare ....

Once the show became a runaway hit of course, everyone copied it. Which is how things become trite and tired.

lenora

Yes, and The Wire first appeared on British TV. WE have a continued history of stealing ideas from one country and peddling to the second.

I agree,' I, Claudius' is a masterpiece even on Masterpiece Theatre. Just the fact that it's only been shown twice in all these years is a testament to that fact. The actor in it (and of course I can't remember his name) is now the star of Scotia that used to air on Sunday nights on PBS. I wish my memory would return to normal...too many drugs, too many combos....it's driving me crazy!! I don't understand why anyone would willingly partake of them, I really don't. I'm from an originally huge family and wouldn't you know that I'm the only one who can legally buy these drugs?.....without wanting any of them!! Yours, Penny
@lenora I understand your references, have watched most ;)
Stellan - River
Gillian - The fall

Can also mention Collatteral and London Spy.
Thanks, Avena, I knew someone could put the pieces together if enough clues were given. See what you have to look forward to? Oh, and you hit on something else. The Sunday night show starring the actor who did I, Claudius, is on the
The Stranger on Netflix at the moment is very good. It takes a good drama to make me watch a whole series, but I did like that one. It is a British drama, and very well done, in my opinion.

I also enjoyed Ragnarok but that is not British, it's Norwegian. A kind of fantasy drama but well done, and got me watching all the episodes!

As for "shows", I did used to like "QI" with Stephen Fry and the others (sorry I have forgotten their names). It was so funny. It may still be around but I don't have a TV any more so wouldn't know.
I'll definitely check out The Stranger. Actually my husband just told me that we watched it just last wk. Where is my mind??? Let me know if anyone finds it. Yours, Penny

Strawberry

This thread made me realize why I do not watch tv. I hate American tv filming apparently! All I watch is PBS, although somehow my antenna got knocked and PBS doesn't come in any more. I haven't had the energy to go into the garage to fix the antenna. So I no longer watch tv. Yep, another free tv only watcher here. Why pay for crap I can't watch?

And I, Claudius???? I nearly fell out of my chair at the mention of it. My brother in law is a drama professor, and 30 years ago he had recorded this (from PBS) on video for us. It is where I learned of the British term "wind." (What was that? Wind? :rofl:) LOVED that show.

Very pleased to hear that many of the Brit shows I like are on Prime. I just started paying, so this might be worth looking into.

Rufous McKinney

the only ones I can think of are Doc Martin, Luther, Sherlock, Victoria, The Durrells of Corfu, Poldark (both the new and the old) but I know there are others.

Broadchurch...is quite good. Not a who-dun-it person....but its pretty intriguing and well acted and you get sucked into this small town and all these interesting people....

Durells is wonderful. Really enjoyed it, just so different.

Rufous McKinney

Actually my husband just told me that we watched it just last wk. Where is my mind??? Let me know if anyone finds it. Yours, Penny

Its over here! I've got it for you!

Seriously- with this stuff, one can enjoy watching something all over again. Sometimes its simply our retrieval challenge- I'll remember once something else reminds me. Until then, don't need to worry about remembering.

Rufous McKinney

It's as if the woodenness of British shows, the reservedness of the characters, the subtle emotiveness, the beautifully understated nature (something the Brits are brilliant at), and the lack of flashiness is easier on my senses, so I can concentrate better.

Yes- all that.

Perhaps its also a bit of this steampunk concept- that I had never heard of until recently. So very old buildings, and ancient stones...look cool, and cottages look exotic. But suddenly its modern times in some historic older world...kinda of interesting..visually. And oddly calming. Like Philip Pullman- His Dark Materials. Is it now, or the past? One can't quite tell.

Freeways and car- chases- who wants to watch that? I sure don't...so literally I watch mostly anything in a different time (cause now sucks) and settings which include grace and forests and old stones...and big open spaces with few people in them. Thats what I crave. (kinda what disappears the quickest, our grace, forests, open spaces and old stones).

Wolfcub

and settings which include grace and forests and old stones...and big open spaces with few people in them. Thats what I crave. (kinda what disappears the quickest, our grace, forests, open spaces and old stones).
I hear you. My favourite films are those outdoor landscape type movies. I think that was one small reason why I liked Ragnarok (though the story was good anyway) But there were some beautiful shots of the fjords.

But give me the north pole....or siberia....or Canada etc, put a lot of wolves in it and maybe one guy trying to live off-grid....and I am in seventh heaven :rofl::rofl:

Rufous McKinney

I hear you. My favourite films are those outdoor landscape type movies. I think that was one small reason why I liked Ragnarok (though the story was good anyway) But there were some beautiful shots of the fjords.

But give me the north pole....or siberia....or Canada etc, put a lot of wolves in it and maybe one guy trying to live off-grid....and I am in seventh heaven :rofl::rofl:

Totally! Darn, we are entirely movie escape compatible!!

Can't decide if Last Kingdom is better than Vikings. They differ, and I love them both!

Fjords- will watch anything involving a fjord.

And strangly, I read several very unusual books that involved Artic Exploration....there is this very obscure book called Kabloona. Mind Blowing..a Frenchman goes to the Arctic. Like back in the past, and you can palpably taste the experience of this "other world" and these "other people" living there in it.

So then I read Pullman's Dark Materials- back when I could read books. Ok- this is the Worlds I want to live in. This is the reality I think is truely IT. We were never disconnected from the animals. And that separation..is how we have drifted away from who we truely are.

So what is with Svalbard? So intriguing. And is this the location where the endangered seeds of the world are stored in giant vaults?!!

YES: the vault is there!!

This is the MOST IMPORTANT ROOM IN THE WORLD

All of this taken together suggests, great power in cold stone and ice, and our longing for it, perhaps stemming from the issue that- we now are dreaming and the ice is changing. And we stash our seeds.