• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

British Shows

lenora

Hi Yippee (and what do I call you?).....Well I have to agree that I find that sex generally cheapens women, and I don't like it. My point was that violence with sex makes me downright mad. It's dangerous to women. Sure, the male psyche is different, but please, all I'm asking is even time here or, even better, just sex. We don't need more crime in our country, we need less.

'White Teeth' is about 2 men whose "friendship" goes back to the WWII. It has plenty of twists & turns, and I really don't want to spoil it for anyone. Personally, I found it hilarious in parts, but my husband didn't. Mind you, his personality changed somewhat after his cardiac arrests. He was far more outgoing & fun-loving, the kind of man who smiled a lot, and that's one of the qualities I found endearing about him. Still, we move on, don't we? He's volunteering at the Food Bank this a.m. , while I'm at home alone. The latter is fine, I'm used to it and find plenty to keep me busy anyway. Like I've said before, we each do our volunteer work in different ways. Yours, Penelope

Wolfcub

after listing a half dozen or so BRITISH SHOWS that I really liked, and later including the memorably brilliant I, Claudius, it's the blander ones that tend to be one-dimensional just don;t hold my interest.
I feel exactly the same about them. I know exactly what you mean. But many times a really brilliant well done British drama or movie crops up.

Sometimes there are some dramas that seem a bit like amateur dramatics for my own taste.

Now most of the TV shows I was never too keen on. But a few "classic comedies" were really good. (or at least they suited my peculiar slightly silly sense of humour! ) :rofl: If they didn't make me laugh in the first five minutes, I wasn't into them.

lenora

Hi
Loved those also.
I love watching "As Time Goes By" - missed last 2 seasons (now over) - so got them on DVD at library.
Hi Tammy....Yes, it's always sad when a good series is cancelled, but perhaps it's time to move on to some of the newer ones. There are plenty of good ones out there, I can attest to it. We all have different likes and dislikes, so we have to expect that in our lives. Have you started Doc Martin yet? Martin Clunes does a marvelous job...and you may find you really like it a lot. Also, some of the Australian ones starring Asher Keddie are good. One is called 'Cleo' about the start of the co., and the other is ????? about a family of 5 (I think!) and she plays the role of an Obstetrician. It's good and friends who didn't want to change, now watch what we do and it's all good. Yours, Lenora

YippeeKi YOW !!

We sold the tickets and spent the evening having fun in San Fran instead.
A "deadhead" would consider that criminal!
A true DeadHead who'd absorbed the Garcia philosophy would have applauded you, while mourning your loss of what probably was a stellar show .... but then, you can't have everything, one of the more lamentable aspects of this reality plane ....

Rufous McKinney

A true DeadHead who'd absorbed the Garcia philosophy would have applauded you, while lamenting your loss of what probably was a stellar show .... but then, you can't have everything ....

Ultimately- one cannot explain why one was not a Dead Head at that time.

But I can- my brother is who bought all the records that I listened to. My brother had outstanding musical taste.
He did not happen to have ever bought: a Grateful Dead Album. So I Heard them on radio stations and at other peoples houses, but I preferred to Jethro Tull myself.

Rufous McKinney

@Rufous McKinney Something Jethro Tull-ish about your profile photo too! Though it has subtle hints of Peter Gabriel era Genesis, my favourite time for that band.

So I almost said- go Trick of the Tail...myself!

How did you know? Phil Collins and Peter Gabriel at this Pinnacle moment. I wore out the whole album. Then my brother wanted it back: I was so bummed.

I still: want to replace that record.

Rufous McKinney

@Rufous McKinney Something Jethro Tull-ish about your profile photo too! Though it has subtle hints of Peter Gabriel era Genesis, my favourite time for that band.

1983, I have my daughter and its that pinnacle Phil Collins...moment...that lasted for so long!

so that drum bit "I can Feel It coming IN the Air Tonite,Oh Lord.."- my 18 month old would leap up and down, upon that moment of those drums. We listened on car rides...super loud on the good speakers in the car!

Prefect

@Rufous McKinney How did I know what? Was it the cover if a live Genesis album? I own all Peter Gabriel era Genesis studio albums (and the first two Post-Peter Gabriel Genesis albums, after which they became too pop for my taste), but I don't remember that picture. It just reminds of of Peter Gabriel era Genesis, not quite sure why. Maybe because of his obsession with wearing lizard collars?

Rufous McKinney

Was it the cover if a live Genesis album?

Yeah- the early stuff- the really creative stuff- thats what I relish. Lucky you have a great collection! Mine was pillaged by too many roomates. How did I end up with Five Copies of Who's Next?

I love the Bee Gees. Horizontal. NOT Disco Bee Gees. Robyn Gibb.

Prefect

@Rufous McKinney yes I am lucky. I love Brit rock from late 60s, and all of 70s. All the good stuff was from England. The only bands from North America I like are the Doors, and Harry Nilsson.

It's too sad I have trouble listening to music these days. It was a big part of my life, and an obsession of mine really to the point where my ex-wife would feel ignored while I immersed myself in the realm of progressive rock bands, and the Brits bands like the Beatles, Paul McCartney, you name it. Nowadays I can only handle music if I've had a few drinks. And that little window into normalcy gives me goosebumps and I start crying.

I think Paul McCartney's album RAM is a work of genius.

Rufous McKinney

It's too sad I have trouble listening to music these days

So do I...and thats very hard to process. Sang in choirs, harmonies, had a beautiful voice, played a flute dreamed of being ON STAGE there with Ian. I'd dream about it...all the time. I went to 100's of live concerts. It was fabulous.

Last year- I simply had to get a turntable. First I had to fix my broken one. I even got the belt. But ultimately got a blu tooth. So maybe it took 4 months to get across town to storage and b ring back a few aged records.

I play Iron Butterfly really loud and I AM So HAPPY. One year later, I managed to bring back a few more. There is Dan Hicks.!!!

turns out- I can only listen to a couple of songs and most of time, I can only listen on that occassional rare day that PEM seems- distant...and maybe i got out of this place for one hour..and feel a bit more ALIVE. Some other bouyancy is required...and often its just not available.

Zappa- recently have been blown away by reliving Frank Zappa.

Rufous McKinney

while I immersed myself in the realm of progressive rock bands, and the Brits bands like the Beatles, Paul McCartney, you name it.

Story- really short. I am on a vacation, staying near the coast..and some bus load of seniors on a tour, they are British- arrive. And I happen to go to the lounge that nite, my daughter made me.

Come ON MOM...it will be fun, have a drink, listen to music. (I don't do that..go out...like that).(anymore)

So: there is this guy, with his guitar, and he is doing cover and HE IS OUTSTANDING. Like incredibly good. And next to me, from the bus..are these British people, and just LAST WEEK they had been backstage in LONDON with Fleetwood Mac. I am like in some kind of HEAVEN with these people. We chat for two hours.

One of them requests JOHN DENVER. (OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm worried) (things may go downhill)...

BOWIE can you do BOWIE I plead.

This guy Nailed it. Entirely pulls off the best David Bowie.

Prefect

@Rufous McKinney I LOVE Fleetwood Mac and Bowie...Bowie was a beautiful man, his music was so eclectic. From British Honky-Tonk (First album) to classic rock to new wave to electronica to Tin Machine and beyond; he was a musical genius. I love the whimsical style he had in his folk rock/hard rock work. There was a dreaminess and "airyness" about it.

This airyness is also something Pink Floyd perfected as well (love the Syd Barrett stuff too). You should have heard me before I got sick getting drunk on whiskey in my basement at nights and trying to sing and play Astronomy Domine on a bloody acoustic guitar just 4 years ago. It was a hilarious sight, I'm sure.

A lot of bands back then (including the Beatles) would pan drums or bass hard left or right, meaning if you put on your headphones you'll hear the drum track only out of the left or right ear. I think this was done out of necessity back then due to limitations of analogue 4 track recording, but it created a lot of space between the instruments and vocals, which I find very pleasing and soft. Hard panning of drums and bass is never done in music these days, which just creates a wall of sound coming at you like a drill, with no room for instruments to breathe. Works well for heavy metal but destroys nuance in other forms of music.

Last edited:

starlily88

, but is titled "Last Tango in Halifax" (which is in the Province of New Scotia in Halifax)...which then leads to other things that no one would understand or wants to hear. Yours, Penny
Loved watching Last Tango in Halifax - Netflix.
Watched all their Brit shows on Netflix till they took them off.
I still love Idris Elba in "Luther"
Loved the show of retired detectives - in new unit - "New Tricks"
Doc Martin is very entertaining, and beautiful scenery. My girlfriend went to Cornwall last year - you get to meet all the actors on set.
Love "Scott and Baily" Really love "Wallander" - original in Swedish, great. Second Wallender by Brits. Both
terrific. ""BroadChurch" excellent.
List goes on and on- Brits make great series.

lenora

My mind is lost....somewhere! Yes, I remember that you sent a reply about Stellan Skaarsgard & his hit show. It was very good, also the one with Gillian Andersen - 'The Fall' if you're in the right frame of mind. i.e. Don't mind violence, that sort of thing. In the meantime, watch 'Doc Martin' for something a bit more lighthearted. Bear in mind that he's playing the ROLE of a somewhat mentally challenged man, thus the reason you aren't on the ground laughing in mirth. Please don't take this the wrong way, anyone, plenty of jabs are made at people like us, and we just take them. This isn't meant as a jab against those who are mentally challenged, indeed, I have the greatest respect for them, but I was only trying to explain the role he plays in this series. Thanks. Yours, Lenora.

lenora

There was an excellent cop show starring Gillian Andersen (of the X-Files). It was highly watchable, but oh the horror of it all. Another favorite starred Stellan(r) Skaarsgarrd (Swedish) in which he played opposite a well known British actress....sorry, I tried looking up the name, but he's very popular and is in quite a few quality films. As I recall this played last year or even the year before. A friend who's into the same shows, just called and her memory's 10 x worse than mine. Between us we couldn't come up with the title. It's a great pity as I not only fell in love with the character (which I never do), but it was such a good show. Perhaps someone out there will have a memory jolt and will be able to give you the titles of both...I hope so. There is something far more soothing about these shows; the lack of sudden movements, the gathering of evidence, the quality of the writing, etc. Funny thing is that the UK is totally taken with American shows!! Go figure. Anyway a few leads, for some willing detective. We also watch good ones on American TV, but there just aren't that many in comparison to the others. Parisian films I find often miss nuances, and the subtitles often leave out entire meanings of conversations. Good luck....Yours, Penny

I just wanted to add that yes, Shetland is excellent and I'm anxiously awaiting the next season. We need to sit quietly, enjoy them and let them unfold at their own pace instead of rushing through them. Our biggest failure.

I don't seem to recall 'The Stranger' but will go and look it up immediately. We probably saw it, if not it will be a happy ending to a drizzly, gray day here. Thanks for the info. Yours, Lenora

lenora

I just wanted to add that yes, Shetland is excellent and I'm anxiously awaiting the next season. We need to sit quietly, enjoy them and let them unfold at their own pace instead of rushing through them. Our biggest failure.

I don't seem to recall 'The Stranger' but will go and look it up immediately. We probably saw it, if not it will be a happy ending to a drizzly, gray day here. Thanks for the info. Yours, Lenora

'My Mother and Other Strangers' is also very good, and was put out just last season. Too bad it didn't continue, but who's to say it's over? One never knows with some of these shows. Yours, Lenora.