• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

brian nicholson detained in psyschiatric unit with me cfs for 3 years

bohemian

Hi everyone- I'm in trouble but wanted to know how much globally just one disease m.e costs global insurance industry. My calculations are difficult. Anyone have idea....

Thank you for your helpful posts.....

Countrygirl

Hi everyone- I'm in trouble but wanted to know how much globally just one disease m.e costs global insurance industry. My calculations are difficult. Anyone have idea....

Hi @bohemian , I am sorry to hear you are in trouble. Can you tell us what the problem in addition to the norm, that is..............?

As for the insurance industry, I haven't seen any figures so I doubt they exist. Hopefully, someone will correct me.

bohemian

Hi at moment does any one with m.e cfs develop an eating disorder due to vomiting every day. I feel antipsychotics have caused this. I've been sick for 8 yrs of antipsychotics. I don't understand Drs. Venlafaxine made me suck immediately back in 2004 and stopped immediately. They don't do this with antipsychotics. They just let you vomit and had an effect on life expectancy. A slow death...

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
Do you have anyone who would speak to the psychiatrists on your behalf. That would explain that the drugs are essentially starving you to death in a particularly unpleasant way. .

Countrygirl

Do you have anyone who would speak to the psychiatrists on your behalf. That would explain that the drugs are essentially starving you to death in a particularly unpleasant way. .

Been there, done that. @Little Bluestem . They know!

Bohemian's original doctor who gave him a cast iron diagnosis of ME based on Spect scans etc. travelled hundreds of miles to speak with them in person to get him released. Sadly, .....shall we say...............as I know the psychiatrist and staff were watching this thread and may still be for all we know.............lying was not above them, to bohemian's detriment. I have the proof in the form of emails and medical papers.

Countrygirl

I hope their are plans. I do what I can. Clozapene and other antipsychotics have given me problems with eating. I don't know why.... neurologically damaged. I am trying to get an appointment with prof aziz neurogastroenterllogy. More blood tests and Hope.

Little do you know it Brian, but you have kept me busy all day.

I need to email you. Plans are afoot.

Nielk

Leonard Jason did a study in 2008 (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2324078/).

Results
For Study 1, the annual direct total cost per ME/CFS patient was estimated to be $2,342, with the total annual direct cost of ME/CFS to society being approximately $2 billion. In Study 2, the annual direct was estimated to be $8,675 per ME/CFS patient, with the total annual direct cost of ME/CFS to society being approximately $7 billion.

Conclusion
Using ME/CFS prevalence data of 0.42 and indirect costs estimates from Reynolds et al. (2004), the direct and indirect cost of ME/CFS to society was estimated to be $18,677,912,000 for the community sample and $23,972,300,000 for the tertiary sample. These findings indicate that whether or not individuals are recruited from a community or tertiary sample, ME/CFS imposes substantial economic costs.

bohemian

Hi it is Dr tom cant. And Dr d who have been in my case. Dr can't. Is my prescribing psycho.

I feel it is both m.e related and pharma influenced I.e clozapine money...he also states I don't have mental capacity. Cant find anything related to insurance on web but are unlikely to advertise this. I can't cope really.

Countrygirl

Hi it is Dr tom cant. And Dr d who have been in my case. Dr can't. Is my prescribing psycho.

I feel it is both m.e related and pharma influenced I.e clozapine money...he also states I don't have mental capacity. Cant find anything related to insurance on web but are unlikely to advertise this. I can't cope really.

Dr Cant is a new one to me @bohemia.

When Dr B. H. spoke with you for two hours back in 2012 when he travelled to your unit to try to obtain your release he said you displayed no sign of mental illness during that time and Dr D agreed with him and informed Dr H that he was reducing your clozapine and you were to be released. Dr D then told you the exact opposite and increased your clozapine. I have the emails to prove this. He was not honest with Dr H and told you both entirely different stories. It was most unprofessional. What was that all about?

Edited to add that your case is now registered in Hansard so if you are harmed by your treatment the concerns about the way your illnesses have been denied and ignored are recorded should an investigation be necessary. I also have written a detailed account of all the evidence I collected from your medical notes and have given it to a couple of relevant people.

bohemian

You are correct. Also why give antipsychotics such as clozapine to someone who had severe pots and bp and hr problems....cardiovascular injuries

Also it has damaged me. My pots and bp and hr have been injured. Dr can't won't take me off clozapine neither will Dr Dickinson. I'm trying to get the date of clozapine start and the increase in bp drugs...I have been v I'll. Systolic of 50- 55 drips such as 12hr saline drips.

I have insurance and could go to priory....after all yrs with m.e cfs pots my family still don't have a clue. My dad saying you only have a pots diagnosis....no family support is a nightmare. Thank you for supporting me.

Countrygirl

You are correct. Also why give antipsychotics such as clozapine to someone who had severe pots and bp and hr problems....cardiovascular injuries

Also it has damaged me. My pots and bp and hr have been injured. Dr can't won't take me off clozapine neither will Dr Dickinson. I'm trying to get the date of clozapine start and the increase in bp drugs...I have been v I'll. Systolic of 50- 55 drips such as 12hr saline drips.

I have insurance and could go to priory....after all yrs with m.e cfs pots my family still don't have a clue. My dad saying you only have a pots diagnosis....no family support is a nightmare. Thank you for supporting me.

According to my records, @bohemian, clozapine was started in 2011/12. (I haven't got the exact date in front of me just now). That is when two of us came to visit you as we were notified that a patient with ME was about to be given this drug which is counter-indicated in ME. Professor MH, if you recall, became involved, and wrote to Dr D to say, 'Clozapine could kill this patient'. Dr D ignored the warning and started giving you the drug about three weeks later. Also you cannot take it if you have a low white cell count, which you had. A locum doctor who was working on the ward flagged it up, but it was ignored. I can't recall the exact dates now, but the date when you were found to have a low white count was somehow changed...................I need to look this up again as I know it caused us concern.

I can't direct you to Hansard as I doubt it is on the internet, but I was informed of this directly by a certain peer.

Last edited:

Countrygirl

Are you saying that your systolic is only about 50 now, @bohemian ? What BP medications are they giving you?

Your father is wrong. Surely he recalls you visiting Dr BH and giving you a diagnosis of ME? In fact I have a record from his notes of all the diagnoses he did give you and I could list them here if you want others to see them.

Last edited:

Countrygirl

@bohemian You had a very good insurance with UNUM. Have you been able to keep it or has it been removed as Dr D was so keen to erase all your physical diagnoses which would have meant that your insurance payments would stop after two years?

Do some psychiatrists receive financial rewards from insurance companies for removing their patients' physical diagnoses and replacing them with psychiatric ones? Is there an online list where we could check which doctors are in the pay of insurance companies?