• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B2, urine colour and less fatigue

seamyb

I've seen it somewhere on here that Greg said that B2 should make your urine bright green. When I read that I thought he must be colour blind because it's flourescent yellow.

I thought that if you need B2 - no colour change.
If you don't need it - flourescent yellow.

After better success in iodine, selenium and molybdenum supplementation, along with B2, my urine has changed from flourescent yellow when taking B2, to a bright green.

This is alongside a significant improvement in fatigue. Significant!

So, perhaps riboflavin gets excreted in vast quantities if not converted to FMN and FAD right away? And perhaps it's only inactive riboflavin that excretes this colour?

Or it's a CFS trick that makes you feel particularly silly at how you were correlating your piss with your health when you crash again.

xebex

Interesting, how are you supplementing your iodine? Have you done any testing to know how to dose? And how much b2?

I’m supplementing b2 but only 25mg, I’m also taking selenium and molybdenum, haven’t noticed anything much. I am also taking niacin which does seem to have made some small difference.

I had a strange 1 day remission a couple of months ago which may have been to do with having iodine applied to a biopsy wound.

I’ve looked into iodine dosing but it all seems complicated and scary.

I'm really curious about this. I take 400 mg of B2 daily for migraines per my ARNP's recommendation. It's been good at that and I also haven't had a cold sore since I started 9 months ago. Which is really impressive b/c I was getting them every other month.

Currently my urine is bright yellow in the mornings. Sometimes by evening it's a little less. But it's never been green.

What are your sources for the iodine, selenium and molybdenum supplementation? And what made you look at supplementing those?

PisForPerseverance

It makes mine orangey yellow. I take riboflavin 5 phosphate. I've done it on and off and I think it used to make it more fluorescent. I started taking selenium about a month ago, and meaning to try molybdenum. Iodine I keep putting off because I felt bad with a pill and the skin one stings except I think my legs are fine to do it on. And then I have to not move or it stains. Annoying. Both the pill and skin were combos of iodine and potassium iodide.

I take 400 mg of B2
How do you balance that out? I would think that might deplete some things, I'm not sure. Great it's working for you.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
How do you balance that out? I would think that might deplete some things, I'm not sure.

Okay, brain fog right now but I do think I remember, somewhere in the deep recesses of my thinking, reading that we need Riboflavin to assimilate the other B vitamins as well.

Sorry, will have to try to remember to look that up sometime soon.

seamyb

Interesting, how are you supplementing your iodine? Have you done any testing to know how to dose? And how much b2?

Just potassium iodide tablets, no testing but I'm only taking 150 mcg which is what you get in a typical multivitamin. I take it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach and don't eat anything for an hour after. Probably about 25mg B2.

What are your sources for the iodine, selenium and molybdenum supplementation? And what made you look at supplementing those?

Douglas Laboratories Molybdenum Revised Supplement
Selenium Tablets | 200mcg Supplement | for Immune System & Thyroid Health | Oxford Vitality
Iodine Supplements | 150mcg Tablets for Pregnancy Health & Thyroid | Oxford Vitality

xebex

I see yes im Taking b12 and i hope to start folate though have always had problems with it, so far have noticed no improvement from the b12 I use sublingual hydroxy Adeno

It makes mine orangey yellow. I take riboflavin 5 phosphate. I've done it on and off and I think it used to make it more fluorescent. I started taking selenium about a month ago, and meaning to try molybdenum. Iodine I keep putting off because I felt bad with a pill and the skin one stings except I think my legs are fine to do it on. And then I have to not move or it stains. Annoying. Both the pill and skin were combos of iodine and potassium iodide.

How do you balance that out? I would think that might deplete some things, I'm not sure. Great it's working for you.

I've never heard any of this other stuff. I've been taking a b-complex, too. I've been in them both for about 9 months? So, who knows what it's been doing inside me. I'm gonna have to do ask sorts of new research now.

Not often I've read of 400mg supplementation of B2 indeed, Greg advices for a 1:1 ratio with B1.
Then if you wanna go down the the rabbit hole there's a few people who mantain that the TTFD form (of B1) is needed to cross BBB.

anne_likes_red

Just potassium iodide tablets, no testing but I'm only taking 150 mcg which is what you get in a typical multivitamin. I take it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach and don't eat anything for an hour after. Probably about 25mg B2.

Douglas Laboratories Molybdenum Revised Supplement
Selenium Tablets | 200mcg Supplement | for Immune System & Thyroid Health | Oxford Vitality
Iodine Supplements | 150mcg Tablets for Pregnancy Health & Thyroid | Oxford Vitality

Thanks very much for listing those oral versions of the correct forms! We're doing transdermal here but looking to move one of my children to 1/2 oral and half transdermal ASAP...and then there's times (school camps etc) it would be so much easier with oral supps.

xploit316

Took B2 transdermally today (100mg dosage), no change in urine color after 5 hours. Does this mean b2 got completely absorbed? When I take oral I get fluroscent yellow but not this time.

Not often I've read of 400mg supplementation of B2 indeed, Greg advices for a 1:1 ratio with B1.

So, after this discussion I decided to plat around with my B2. Taking my pills throughout the day. I have 100mg pills so I planned on talking one each morning and evening and 2 during the day. I missed the day time ones several days.

And, boom! My first cold sore in months! I'm trying to take 200 mg morning and night now to see how that goes.

Just another random note - I usually have really bad fatigue with cold sores, but this time it doesn't seem to be affecting my energy at all.