• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B12

andreamarie

I know there is a very long thread on B12. I am working through it and am TOTALLY confused. Forgive me, but I've only been on the board a few days. Because I cannot absorb ANY kind of B12 due to the surgery I had on my small intestine (I do not have intrinsic factor that makes this possible) I get the cyna B12. Until last year I got two injections a month, but last year a nasal spray that is covered by my insurance was available so I have been using more than the prescribed amount. The only thing I can say is I never had the cognitive problems others with CFS do. This could be a coincidence, because I was starting to get neuro problems before the shots: I failed the tuning fork test. I will be reading about B12 but doubt I can absorb the sublinguals of other types.

richvank

To andreamarie re: sublingual B12

Hi, andreamarie.

Welcome to the forum.

Just want to let you know that the intrinsic factor mechanism is not used for sublingual B12, so you should be able to absorb it alright.

Best regards,

Rich

andreamarie

According to pharmacist, who's my friend, I'm better off with nasal spray because we are sure I'm absorbing it. There's only a couple studies that show sublingual works without intrinsic factor. The nasal spray is very expensive but my insurance covers it. I use much more of it than prescribed. I might add the sublingual but want to investigate dosage.