• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Assessing diagnostic value of microRNAs from peripheral blood mononuclear cells and extracellular vesicles in ME/CFS (Almenar-Perez et al. 2020)

Diwi9

Administrator
Assessing diagnostic value of microRNAs from peripheral blood mononuclear cells and extracellular vesicles in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Scientific Reports volume 10, Article number: 2064 (2020)

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-020-58506-5

ABSTRACT: Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) is a debilitating multisystemic disease of unknown etiology, affecting thousands of individuals worldwide. Its diagnosis still relies on ruling out medical problems leading to unexplained fatigue due to a complete lack of disease-specific biomarkers. Our group and others have explored the potential value of microRNA profiles (miRNomes) as diagnostic tools for this disease. However, heterogeneity of participants, low numbers, the variety of samples assayed, and other pre-analytical variables, have hampered the identification of disease-associated miRNomes. In this study, our team has evaluated, for the first time, ME/CFS miRNomes in peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMCs) and extracellular vesicles (EVs) from severely ill patients recruited at the monographic UK ME biobank to assess, using standard operating procedures (SOPs), blood fractions with optimal diagnostic power for a rapid translation of a miR-based diagnostic method into the clinic. Our results show that routine creatine kinase (CK) blood values, plasma EVs physical characteristics (including counts, size and zeta-potential), and a limited number of differentially expressed PBMC and EV miRNAs appear significantly associated with severe ME/CFS (p < 0.05). Gene enrichment analysis points to epigenetic and neuroimmune dysregulated pathways, in agreement with previous reports. Population validation by a cost-effective approach limited to these few potentially discriminating variables is granted.

necessary8

This is actually an extremely important study, even if it doesn't look like much at first glance. In december dr Eguchi had a paper which examined all proteins in EVs from CFS plasma, and this study examines all miRNAs. Together, those two studies are a giant step forward in ascertaining how the exosomes present in our blood influence the cells.
I can't tell you what it means quite yet, but I certainly will be looking into those miRNAs in depth.

Diwi9

Administrator
This is actually an extremely important study, even if it doesn't look like much at first glance. In december dr Eguchi had a paper which examined all proteins in EVs from CFS plasma, and this study examines all miRNAs. Together, those two studies are a giant step forward in ascertaining how the exosomes present in our blood influence the cells.
I can't tell you what it means quite yet, but I certainly will be looking into those miRNAs in depth.
I look forward to your next update!