• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Unravelling ME/CFS: Gender‐specific changes in the microRNA expression profiling in ME/CFS (Cheema et al., 2020)

Pyrrhus

I don't think this one has been posted yet:

Unravelling ME/CFS: Gender‐specific changes in the microRNA expression profiling in ME/CFS (Cheema et al., 2020)
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/jcmm.15260

Excerpt:
Cheema et al 2020 said:
Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) is a multisystem illness characterized by medically unexplained debilitating fatigue with suggested altered immunological state. Our study aimed to explore peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMCs) for microRNAs (miRNAs) expression in ME/CFS subjects under an exercise challenge.

The findings highlight the immune response and inflammation links to differential miRNA expression in ME/CFS. The present study is particularly important in being the first to uncover the differences that exist in miRNA expression patterns in males and females with ME/CFS in response to exercise. This provides new evidence for the understanding of differential miRNA expression patterns and post‐exertional malaise in ME/CFS.

We also report miRNA expression pattern differences associating with the nutritional status in individuals with ME/CFS, highlighting the effect of subjects' metabolic state on molecular changes to be considered in clinical research within the NINDS/CDC ME/CFS Common Data Elements. The identification of gender‐based miRNAs importantly provides new insights into gender‐specific ME/CFS susceptibility and demands exploration of sex‐suited ME/CFS therapeutics.
(spacing and emphasis added for readability)

Last edited:

Wishful

I'm not sure what it all means, but it certainly looks interesting. My question is: what causes differential expression of miRNA? Google says: "The expression of miRNAs is regulated by multiple factors and molecular mechanisms, from those affecting the DNA copy number, methylation of CpGs, transcription factors, andmiRNA biogenesis, to those modifying the miRNA binding site's availability in the mRNA sequence."

In other words, it's complicated. :rolleyes:

Maybe ME involves a number of these factors together. If you have just a few of these dysfunctions, no ME, since there are other pathways and backups. If enough of these miRNA factors are involved, you get a full breakdown of some pathway(s) and maybe some positive feedback loops keeping you in that state. It may not be the same set of miRNA factors for all individuals, and not to the same extent for each, which gives us such different individual responses.

Still, it's progress. :)

Pyrrhus

In other words, it's complicated. :rolleyes:

In other words, no one fully understands it yet!

Here's what we do know:
  1. Normally, the cell makes messenger RNA (mRNA) which then makes proteins for the cell.
  2. But sometimes, the cell makes micro-RNA (miRNA) which blocks the mRNA from making the proteins.
  3. We don't fully understand why the cell makes miRNA to block its own mRNA, but it's probably just another way that the cell fine-tunes the production of proteins.
  4. The cell can also "share" the micro-RNA (miRNA) with neighboring cells in order to block neighboring cells from making certain proteins.
  5. Researchers are trying to see if specific micro-RNAs (miRNA) are correlated with specific diagnoses. If they are, it might lead to a diagnostic test for that diagnosis.
Hope this helps.