• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone use Binaural Beats (Sound Therapy) to Reregulate Brain Waves?

toyfoof

I listen to them for help sleeping. Not sure if they work as advertised or if it’s more the white noise aspect, but I do like them.

My doctor has actually recommended me trying them for increasing energy, now that I think of it. I’ll have to go back in my notes to find the frequency he recommends.

Wolfcub

I like the binaural tones, because they are musical.
I experimented with the Theta wave binaural tones some years ago. I'd had a number of spontaneous out-of-body experiences, and heard that they could be encouraged to happen by using Theta waves.
For me, nothing happened. Perhaps that was best, and I am content with that.
But they were very nice and a gentle meditative sound. I used to just relax to them.
In my case they did not induce Theta waves.

That is the only experience I have had with them.

They do work for some people.

I hear there are also Delta wave ones, and some on an 8-hour loop, which may in some people, induce deep sleep. I have not tried them.

Pyrrhus

I have been listening to binaural beats for a number of years now.

The basic idea is that the binaural beats in the music, even though they are not audible, somehow enhance or "entrain" the corresponding oscillatory networks in your brain.

I remember being so surprised the first time I tried them and they noticeably changed my mental state. I had really thought it was a bunch of nonsense. The only thing you need to do is relax and concentrate on the sounds.

I highly recommend Jeffrey Thompson’s work, even though he makes a few questionable claims:
https://scientificsounds.com/

I find the Theta Waves good for meditation and the Delta Waves good for sleep.

Wayne

Tinnitus became a problem for me this past year, and I began to experiment with different kinds of masking sounds. So far, the one that seems to be the most soothing for me is THIS ONE. -- I feel I'm only beginning to learn about and experiment with various healing sounds, and would be interested in anybody else's favorite(s). -- Thanks!

Last edited:

taniaaust1

I have used the ones to help sleep successfully in the past. They work to put me to sleep but as soon as the thing is over I wake up wide awake and can not then get back to sleep. Anyway, these are well worth trying.

My brain EEGs have shown that I have the common ME abnormality with that and that my brain waves do not go into the correct states when I'm relaxed with eyes shut (I assume its the same when I'm asleep)... so I guess that is why I found binaural beats of the right ones for sleep helpful. (the ones I was using was on a set of tapes so isn't on youtube).

I just listened to the one Wayne likes and found one just made me feel sicker. I'll try that that one again when I'm not feeling so ill (I'm very heat affected today).

Last edited:
I have a free app on my phone called Binaural. It allows you to adjust the frequency (alpha, theta, beta, etc.) and the tone. Currently letting in run in the background on low “alpha” mode while I work (on the phone, leading project calls) to see if it helps me get less keyed up. It’s just the beats, no music.

JAH

I listen to binaural beats from the Insight meditation app. [which is free, and I recommend to anyone interested in just about any style of meditation) and I bought ‘the best binaural beats” by Jody Hatton, which is just one pulsing tone made by the difference in frequencies. I like the Jody Hatton beats, because there is no music or other sounds involved.

i would encourage anyone to try them. Not a cure for sure, but I’ve had some positive experiences with them.

You can also find many binaural beats on YouTube, which is where I think I first started to use them.

so content is not a problem, you can find plenty of free or cheap bin beats, but you absolutely need a good pair of headphones. If you listen without headphones, the beats won’t have any effect.

Last edited: