• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone here have tooth problems?

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
Gum recession and tooth enamel problems are also part of my symptoms.

I've recently been using vitamin C to support my gums, and oil pulling (which isn't pseudo-science) twice per day.

I've been using remineralizing tooth powder for years. I used to have a crevice developing in the side of a front tooth but the remineraling powder has helped to fill in. I've used both of the powders listed below. My comments are in square brackets.

Remineralizing tooth powder (or paste) #1
Info extracted from: http://joybileefarm.com/cure-tooth-decay/

The book, Cure Tooth Decay by Ramiel Nagel, outlines a diet that will remineralize your teeth and stop new cavities from forming. It is based on research by Weston Price using bone broths, fermented grains, and raw milk products to stop the bad stuff from harming your teeth and encourage the good stuff to rebuild them.

The key take away from the book, is that in order to cure tooth decay and remineralize your teeth, they need to have direct contact with the building blocks that teeth are made of – calcium, phosphorous, and some trace minerals. Your teeth also need less contact with the things in the oral environment that inhibit the rebuilding process.

Makes 1 cup (Mix with a wooden or plastic spoon, see note below):
3 tbsp. calcium carbonate
2 tbsp. bentonite clay [good quality; Aztec healing clay/calcium bentonite is OK]
1/2 cup baking soda [can be reduced as preferred, other recipes use 1-2 tbsp.]
1/4 cup Himalayan salt, whirled in your spice grinder until a fine powder [or sea salt since it also contains many minerals.]
[Other recipes use 1-2 teaspoons; maybe this is so high because of the minerals in the salt being useful?]
1 tsp. peppermint essential oil [or 10 drops to start since 1 tsp is a LOT; can sub. a couple drops of cinnamon oil or 1/2 tsp. powder]
10 drops myrrh essential oil,
10 drops clove essential oil [or 1/2 tsp. clove powder]

[Notes:
* Use organic essential oils as non-organic can concentrate pesticides.
* Mix with a plastic or wooden spoon since bentonite reacts with metal]

Optional:
If your family is used to toothpaste and would find it easier to use a paste rather than a powder, simply add ½ cup to ¾ cup of coconut oil to the above recipe. It will remain soft and paste like if your ambient temperature is between 60 and 70 degrees F. Organic virgin coconut oil is known to prevent cavities.

What does each ingredient in the recipe do?

Calcium carbonate – supports healthy enamel
Bentonite clay trace minerals that support oral health
Baking soda – supports oral health, changes pH, mildly abrasive
Himalayan salt, trace minerals that support oral health
Peppermint eo – refreshing, traditionally used for oral health
Myrrh eo – refreshing, traditionally used for oral health
Clove eo – traditionally used for oral health

Remineralizing tooth powder #2

[This one is useful for sensitive teeth.]

From https://www.earthclinic.com/cures/tooth_enamel.html

Remineralizing Tooth Powder Recipe
1 teaspoon black walnut hull powder [contains iodine, natural fluoride, sulfur, copper, silica, selenium, potassium, and magnesium]
1 teaspoon horsetail powder [contains silica, iron, potassium, magnesium, and vitamin A]
1 teaspoon baking soda [mild abrasive, raises pH]
1 teaspoon xylitol [appears to help prevent cavities]
1 drop peppermint essential oil

Mix these ingredients together. Sprinkle about ¼ teaspoon onto a wet toothbrush and brush gently twice daily.

And finally, here are some interesting comments on various tooth powder ingredients from unyquity on CureZone:
Oak Bark - yes, it's a very strong astringent, so it does tighten the gums (in fact, Dr. Christopher had many patients reverse pyorrhea and periodontal disease simply by packing their gums with White Oak Bark powder. It's also antiseptic, so it helps relieve infection. White oak bark also contains ample amounts of calcium, manganese, potassium and magnesium. It also contains tannin and quercin. Quercin is similar in effect to salicin (pain reliever) and is used strengthen the capillaries and veins.

Cloves - besides tasting good and sweetening the breath, cloves have BOTH antiseptic and anaesthetic properties.

Peppermint - is also an antiseptic pain reliever; it stimulates circulation throughout the gums...as well as freshening the mouth and breath

Horsetail grass - contains plant-based silica (abrasive), and the body converts the silica to calcium VERY effectively...so yes, this aids in remineralization. It is also an astringent/tightener.

My own personal experience is that teeth are healthy when the rest of the body is.

Had an amazing experience the first time I tried a raw food diet that involved lots of vegetable juices and fresh/dried fruit - health and energy levels shot through the rough and felt like a completely different person for the first time in my life - dentist said he'd never seen teeth that good and I was surprised because I was eating lots of fresh and dried fruits every day.

Once the body lost that balancing point however, teeth deteriorated to probably the worst I've known so far, with it getting worse with the more fresh fruit I ate. Although the peak of that deterioration seemed to be when I was eating a lot of refined grains.

Since switching to whole grains, some old niggling tooth pain has now cleared up so I can only put that down to the minerals I'm now getting from the wholegrain, that weren't there when I was eating just refined.

Happy and healthy teeth to everyone!

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
My own personal experience is that teeth are healthy when the rest of the body is.
It also was - and probabaly still is - usual to look into the mouth of horses when about to buy one.
My poor teeth. My gum obviously detoriated when I switched from tea to coffee (which very luckily also brought an improvement of my mecfs about). I reason that manganese could be responsible for both effects. It might also have a positive (in my case missing) effect on tooth health (it could not be helped in my case).

I have just found this report:
https://arealfoodlover.wordpress.co...ineralized-my-tooth-cavity-without-dentistry/

Interesting enough, but I don´t want to judge at it in terms to outrule any dentist.

Last edited:

Likaloha

Was reading this book about how tooth decay is not a result of sugar on the teeth that gets eaten by bacteria, which then causes acid which eats into the tooth enamel… rather it is a result of the glands in our brain and jaw not getting the proper stimulus to pump the minerals required to keep our teeth strong into them.

Given how CFS wrecks your hypothalamus and other glandular regulation, etc, I thought this may have a bearing on why my teeth ain’t doing all that well.

Thought I’d share the thought here, see the attached photo from the book, sorry it it’s not so clear.
I have terrible teeth despite trying really hard to take good care of them...I figured they are just kind of falling apart like the rest of me.

YippeeKi YOW !!

@David Jackson
makes you wonder why they're putting it in our water supplies, doesn't it?
Always. Paranoid minds, like great ones (and who says we're not?), think alike :cautious: :cautious: :cautious: !!!
I have terrible teeth despite trying really hard to take good care of them...I figured they are just kind of falling apart like the rest of me.
I hear 'ya. It's so dispiriting. I want my smile back
!!! Along with any number of other things. Bugger-all.

I've read that adequate salivary levels of vitamin K2 can reduce the bacterial load of the mouth by up to 98%. Just throwing that idea into the mix for anyone interested to research and consider.

I cannot find the PubMed article where I read that. This article is interesting too. I don't know if this is affected by pituitary function though. It seems like K2 might not work if salivation is inhibited, but that is just my guess.

Vitamin K2 and Its Impact on Tooth Genetics

I think gum disease and maybe alveolar bone loss might be caused by upregulation of matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs) that break down collagen. MMPs are upregulated by oxidative stress, so that may be why coenzyme Q10 can be helpful for gum disease.

My teeth have stayed fairly stable as long as I limit vitamin D intake. I've had 3 molars break while taking high-dose vitamin D on 3 separate instances. My sister has had 8 teeth break while taking vitamin D. A family friend had 1 tooth break while taking vitamin D. It seems absurd that vitamin D would contribute to weakness of the teeth, and I never would have believed it if it weren't for our experiences. I've never found a reasonable explanation.

I started taking beef liver pills in November, and within a couple days, the gums in the back of my mouth on the upper left started to get sore. Shortly after that, I could feel a tooth erupting through the gum. So I'm getting a wisdom tooth at the age 44. Vitamin A is needed for stem cell differentiation, and it is also needed for many functions of vitamin D. When my teeth occasionally get sensitive, vitamin A helps within 24 hours. Vitamin A seems so potent to me though. I can only handle small doses.

I have Raynaud's and elevated ANA, so my risk of Sjogren's is higher. Anecdotally though, when I've been eating a strict paleo diet (no grains/sugar/dairy), that is the only time my teeth feel so clean I could forget to brush.

Thanks, @brenda , for sharing the mouthwash video.