• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone else get extremely sleepy/can't stay awake when sick?

RyeRyeBread

This never happened to me prior to becoming chronically ill. For reference - I have suspected ME and diagnosed POTS, thus far.

Since becoming ill, I've only gotten "muggle" sick about 3-4 times (only been chronically ill for 2 years come june). First time was possibly just allergies and it didn't happen then, that i can recall.
2nd time was a cold-turned-bronchitis.
3rd time was a bad cold/flu (possibly covid, I was exposed directly but tested negative, only 1 test though).

4th time, this time currently lol, is allergies/cold-turned-possibly-bronchitis again.

Every single time I am seemingly sick with something proper, I get these days/instances where I am so incredibly, extremely "sleepy"?.
Fatigue I'm used to, and when I'm sick, yeah I'm a little more fatigued than usual - BUT SLEEPY!? Having a hard time staying awake, "needing" to/not being able to do anything else but passout and sleep, being hugely mentally out of it... It feels like I'm just coming back from a surgery with anesthesia, waking up and fighting to stay away/napping and being in and out of it.

The only other time this has happened is when I've been crashing bad/having PEM, but I haven't had significant PEM crashes in a bit since my pacing has been pretty good lately (and i havent had anything to do lately, aside from video games and scrolling on phone 😅) - So, I'm assuming being sick is making me crash? Or my body is stealing spoons to use for fighting infections...

Spoon wars.

Rufous McKinney

Sounds somewhat familiar, altho I don' t seem to get muggle sick often any longer, (isolated probably)

I get some severe stomach gastroperesis periodically. Oh I totally fall apart when that happens. It might not be the exact sleepy you describe.

so lots of the ME symptoms flare intensely, and one of those is Zombie Coma I call it (incredibly sleepy)