• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone else a walking storm detector?

blueberry

Are you familiar with the old fashioned German "weather houses"? They are little carved wooden houses with two little people that come out of the house, depending on the weather. Bit like a cuckoo clock. I am basically the little wooden woman in the weather house, I predict rain and overcast conditions thanks to my superpowers, aka my aching legs and head!

lenora

OK, everyone....now we need to find out the best place to live to counterattack these symptoms.

I'm sure that Howard is in one, Phoenix, but there must be many others. If it's super hot and dry, symptoms will generally disappear from our area for about 2 mos., but we haven't had those conditions for a long time. (Dallas, TX.) Allergists must make a small fortune here, although a lot of these sprays can now be bought OTC.

So let's have suggestions about the best place. One other question...if there is a lot of rain, isn't it also going to be humid? The increased pain is real, although I read some research study that indicated it wasn't. I'm sure that went nowhere. We (and a lot of other ill people) are walking barometers. Usually the day before or so. I'll be the bearer of bad news here....it certainly doesn't improve with age. At least @Booble's looking at pretty scenery. Yours, Lenora.

Booble

Are you familiar with the old fashioned German "weather houses"? They are little carved wooden houses with two little people that come out of the house, depending on the weather. Bit like a cuckoo clock. I am basically the little wooden woman in the weather house, I predict rain and overcast conditions thanks to my superpowers, aka my aching legs and head!

Perfect analogy!
I'll be the little cuckoo on the wooden woman's shoulder. :)

lenora

Yes, that's a good analogy, @Booble. I'm more reliable than the weather forecasters in this area. I can often feel changes up to 2 days before they appear....rather painful but as I said, reliable. I think that why the farmers of old had a pretty good track record. In my case, I know that swelling of the spinal cord is a big issue, what about some of the rest of you?

So let's hear about easier places to live in. I dread the summer heat in part of July, August and September, but the dryness can provide some relief, including from allergies. So mixed blessings, I guess.

Actually, England's one of the few places where I feel respite from the pain. At least the weather doesn't change as much as it does in Dallas, Tx. That was a somewhat pleasant surprise, although I haven't been during the winter for many years now. Yours, Lenora.

vision blue

Question on barometric pressure- you said you live in a place where that doesn't change- so does that mean in some locales change in barometric pressure can be used to tell a storm is coming but in other locales there is no change despite oncoming storm?

Booble

Question on barometric pressure- you said you live in a place where that doesn't change- so does that mean in some locales change in barometric pressure can be used to tell a storm is coming but in other locales there is no change despite oncoming storm?

I don't know but I can tell you that despite only very small barometric changes in my locale, I 100% can predict storms from either increased sinus/nasal issues or those visual disturbances. Ok, maybe not 100% but almost always when I say --- I bet a storm is coming -- even when it's perfectly beautiful looking out -- within 3 - 24 hours -- WHAM.

overtrain

Medical Mafia needs to die via this virus.
Yes, a very noticeable pain/ache in my left knee started when I was a young child, which always predicted a rain storm coming. It's lessened through the years though & I can't recall the last time it happened. Probably when I lived in Iowa, as it's humid there & not here.

Left knee has what's called a Baker's Cyst on it now. Got a shot in it once that worked for a year or so. Don't know what injury hurt the knee but something I did as a kid did it.

Afa best place to live to lessen pain or whatever, spent 2 weeks in Virginia once. Amazing how much better my body felt-- pretty much painless. Real weird. But I abhor humidity. It makes me cranky & feel closed-in somehow, permanently soggy. Grew up in PA. Never knew I hated humidity till I'd visit home from college in Boulder, Co.

lenora

Hello everyone.....Amazing that this original discussion goes back five years already. I do hope the initial writer is doing somewhat better.

Yes, PA has a lot of humidity....keeps it green, but a heavy price is paid. I also grew up there, so I know what you mean. I now live in TX and we often have a very wet winter instead. We can also have beautiful warm, spring like days....but our bodies will let us know. Generally, we have inflammation in most areas.

Amazingly enough, it's looking like rain now, but in all honesty my symptoms often begin before the day of the rainfall and I'm now old enough to have passed getting migraines. Yes, I believe that human bodies were the original weather forecasters.

Personally, I've found England to be the best place. I know, I know....it rains a lot, but it's different than the types of bad storms so prevalent in the northeast and often even worse in TX. I guess because there are fewer overall changes....it rains, and then stops.

Feel better all of you walking barometers. Yours, Lenora

Last edited by a moderator:

Inca

I feel more stiffness when its damp or temps drop...its been bad this weekend with constant heavy rain.. today is cloudy but not raining, managed to get out for a bit of fresh air today. Tbh I'm just glad I'm not in one of the areas with the severe heat and wildfires.

lenora

Hi @Inca .....Yes, I think we're all walking barometers. I'm generally much worse the day before bad weather hits. I think our usual problems plus arthritis all play a role in the pain.

Like you, I love to be outdoors. Even in the heat (really a typical summer for us), I have to say that I stay on the porch until well after noon. We have mosquito curtains, but don't want it enclosed. What's the point?

So, yes....you aren't alone. And that's just our group! Feel better, stay dry. Yours, Lenora

Violeta

I wonder if the effect of the change in barometric pressure is due to the change in atmospheric CO2. Here's an article that talks about the change. I don't know about the humidity, though. Let me think about that.

With the rise in humidity, there is a drop in CO2.

Some people think that we need a higher saturation of oxygen, but there are explanations why that may be erroneous.

See if this article makes sense.

https://www.psu.edu/news/research/story/horizontal-winds-become-major-movers-co2-during-cold-fronts/

So what I am thinking might possible make the barometric pressure less overwhelming is increasing energy production, which increases intracellular CO2 and improves uptake and utilization of oxygen. I am thinking that thiamine and niacinamide might help.

lenora

Yes, @Violeta, they may help. I'll tell you about something that I read in a research paper many years ago:
The spinal cord itself swells and since so many of our nerves are affected by it, we can expect additional pain.

It's not fun, I agree, but sometimes know the reason can help immediately. Also gently moving seems to help....or at least it used to. There's no doubt that weather play a role in many illnesses. Feel better. Yours, Lenora

Violeta

A really bad front moved through here today. I could hardly move, I don't know how long I slept. It's so frustrating.

Violeta

There's a front moving in, I am trying CO2, seems to be helping.

I felt as if there was a crushing pressure on my chest, and of course the fatigue was much worse...legs painful when walking up the stairs.

I am drinking a mix of lemon juice with baking soda.

Violeta

There's a front moving in, I am trying CO2, seems to be helping.

I felt as if there was a crushing pressure on my chest, and of course the fatigue was much worse...legs painful when walking up the stairs.

I am drinking a mix of lemon juice with baking soda.
I am having good luck with the lemon juice/baking soda combination. I had a much better day today overall, and another front rolled through. You know how these things go, though, we'll see.

Violeta

Yes, @Violeta, they may help. I'll tell you about something that I read in a research paper many years ago:
The spinal cord itself swells and since so many of our nerves are affected by it, we can expect additional pain.

It's not fun, I agree, but sometimes know the reason can help immediately. Also gently moving seems to help....or at least it used to. There's no doubt that weather play a role in many illnesses. Feel better. Yours, Lenora
Thinking about your reply, @lenora, and looking up reasons for swelling, results of swelling, effect of change of barometric pressure on swollen tissue, etc. Very interesting.

Inca

Well had a couple if days of sun so managed to get some laundry done but back to rainy and thundery showers! Dog is bored cos he prefers to be able to lie outside on the patio or in his ball pool tent!