• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Alternative Non-Surgical Possibilities for Addressing CCI/AAI or Other Serious Neck Issues

Jyoti

@Wayne--just wanting to touch in and relay that I have recently tried the pelvic reset you have linked above (
) and it has been a near miracle. I was dealing with increasing sciatic pain and it had gotten to the point where I could not sleep, could not lie on one side, could not walk without a limp, could not get up stairs without hauling myself up, or put any weight on one leg when doing boring activities like donning a pair of pants.

It reached the point where my osteopath referred me for a nerve block because, as he said: You have too many things going on to suffer this one any longer than you must.

But one go with this exercise gave me a pain-free night, the ability to get dressed without contortions the very next morning. The wonders receded a bit the following day, but I have persisted-- twice daily for four days now--and my existence is literally transformed. I can focus on ME/CFS, POTS, MCAS and other fun things instead!

Thanks so much for sharing these various techniques and exercises that have made such a difference for you. This one has been a real gift for me.

Wayne

@Wayne By any chance, have you ever done a brain MRI which showed an empty sella or any signs of intracranial hypertension? I am wondering if your symptoms were caused by TOS.

Hi @Bowser -- I looked into some very specialized MRI imaging about 20 years ago (focusing on possible Chiari Malformation Syndrome) but ran into so many roadblocks, I finally abandoned those efforts.

I eventually did go to a chiropractor/ND, who told me my cranials were as locked as any he'd ever since in all his years of practice (from serious head injury/whiplash as a teenager). After trying for several sessions of cranial/sacral therapy to begin to unlock those cranials, he realized it wasn't going to happen without doing a technique called Nasal Specific.

It involves inserting a balloon device into the sinuses, and then inflating it. The result is for the sinus passageways to become clearer if there was any obstruction. But for our purposes, the intent was to create enough pressure on my cranials to get them unlocked, so they there could essentially "breathe" in rhythm again. It worked; and it was a major turning point for me to have this done regularly for a few years.

I don't know what TOS is.

Last edited:

Wayne

@Wayne--just wanting to touch in and relay that I have recently tried the pelvic reset you have linked above, and it has been a near miracle.

Hi @Jyoti -- Wow, congratulations on your improvements! I'm so happy to hear what a difference just one simple exercise did for you. It reminds me of a man who claimed to have completely recovered from ME/CFS just by doing yoga. Of course, he was relentlessly criticized for suggesting that was the case, but I'm of a firm belief that structural issues can play seemingly outsized roles in our health picture. I hope you're continuing to enjoy blessed, restful sleep!

kewia

It involves inserting a balloon device into the sinuses, and then inflating it. The result is for the sinus passageways to become clearer if there was any obstruction. But for our purposes, the intent was to create enough pressure on my cranials to get them unlocked, so they there could essentially "breathe" in rhythm again. It worked; and it was a major turning point for me to have this done regularly for a few years.

Hi @Wayne,

Just out of curiosity, can you point to a video or tell me the name of this exercise. I'm interested. Why they put pressure in the nasal region and how does it relate to back of the neck?

Violeta

Hi @Wayne, I am reading this thread as quickly as I can, but I don't feel good at the moment. I think I saw something in this thread about the psoas muscle, but now I can't find it. Do you know an exercise for releasing the psoas muscle?

That's good news that you have found so many things that are helping you.

Thank you

Strawberry

@Wayne--just wanting to touch in and relay that I have recently tried the pelvic reset you have linked above

I love how this video shows alternative yoga tools. You don’t need to buy fancy one use things!

I have done the head roll thing for decades for neck pain, and my hips have definitely been out before. Guess it’s time I get my foam pad out and do these exercises. I may add the exercise that I was taught for getting my hips back in alignment too.

Oh and for anyone curious, the stretch I was taught 25 years ago (by a chiropractor) was to lie on your back, knees up, and gently pull one knee at a time towards the chest to stretch the glute lightly. Then allow the knees to rotate to the sides for gentle stretch, similar to her rocking, although much much slower. Very similar in technique to what she does. It stopped my falling down due to my legs spontaneously giving out on me.

My technique might be easier for some here to start on, she even states that her rocking is quite strenuous. I’ll probably do a hybrid for starters, as I doubt I can rock like she does… :confused:

Wayne

can you point to a video or tell me the name of this exercise.

Hi @kewia -- Here's a good (short video) explanation -- Cranial Nasal Specific and its benefits -- There are a good number of YouTube videos that show the technique being done.

Here's a good synopsis from a practitioner website. I think the description is pretty amazing!

About Nasal Specific Technique
The Nasal Specific Technique* works to unwind your body and help restore your body functions. It adjusts the cranial plates of your skull and reestablishes the flow of cerebrospinal fluid to your body and the proper flow of blood to your brain.​
This technique has been in practice since the 1930's. It has been taught to many Doctors, dentists and other practitioners. There is now a surgical procedure that is designed to produce the same result. But this procedure requires general anesthesia and costs thousands of dollars. We can achieve the same results without the anesthesia and without spending thousands of dollars. How great for you!​
*Also known as Bilateral Nasal Specific (BNS) or Nasal Cranial Release (NCR).​
How It Works
A very tiny balloon is inserted into one of your six nasal passages and is gently inflated, opening your sinus to the back of your throat. Your passages are done one at a time. Each nasal passage takes about one to three seconds to open. It sounds uncomfortable and it can be uncomfortable, but the relief is certainly worth the few seconds of discomfort.​
What will I feel like afterwards?
You may be able to breathe in fully and deeply. You may feel relief of pain in any given part of your body including your hips hands, feet, knees, mid-back, and neck. Improvement in vision, hearing, smell and the ability to think more clearly are common as well. Immediately after the Nasal Specific, our patients have also reported having increased energy, better breathing, clear-headedness, sharper memory and more joy and happiness. In the short term, some patients experience nasal bleeding, sore gums, throat or teeth. These experiences are all a direct result of the positive cranial release.​

Violeta

Hi @kewia -- It sort of does feel like magic, because I began to see significant improvements within just 3-4 days of starting a couple of different exercises, one called a thoracic extension exercise. The following :37 second video shows how a rolled up towel or foam piece can be used for the upper thoracic area.

Thoracic Towel Stretch

Below is a link to a 5-min. video which goes into more detail on how to use a towel or foam piece to loosen up the upper back:

The Simplest and Most Effective Exercise For Thoracic Extension

I "think" this was the most important exercise I did that shifted things so dramatically for me. But I also started doing another one, called a pelvis stabilization technique (link below), at about the same time (2 years ago+). I think it really helped my lower back a LOT, and most likely helped my neck area, possibly as much as the towel exercise (I use foam instead of a towel). I think these two techniques work really well together.

Natural Pelvis Reset

Another exercise I do that I think continues to support my neck health is something I refer to as the Twirling the Big Toe technique. The link will take you to on online post I made a few years with a description on how to do it.

As I've mentioned before, I noticed significant improvements after starting to do these exercises. But don't know that I would have had as much success had I not done a number of other things over the years, such as AtlasPROfilax, Nasal Specific, self-acupuncture, etc. It just feels like everything came together at about the time I started on the thoracic extension exercises. The following paragraph is from an earlier post I made where I describe how to do an AtlasPROFilax treatment on myself, and what happened...

"As things shifted significantly in my neck area, I was also concurrently feeling a notable difference in my pectoral muscles. They felt a little tender at first, but in very short order, felt quite a bit stronger. It was as if they had been "reactivated", and were now able to help hold my neck in place a little better. I also noticed that besides being able to walk more comfortably, I felt I was walking taller as well. Also... I noticed that within about a week, my endurance and resiliency while walking had literally doubled."​
The nice thing about all these exercises is you can do them at home, and don't cost a cent. Plus, I would think there would be few potential downsides, although everybody's situation is unique. I think care should always be taken to not go beyond the body's limits. -- Good luck with these if you decide to give em a shot!

@Wayne, I think the thoracic exercise will help with psoas muscles issues, too. I am also going to do exercises specific to psoas muscle, but I am starting with the thoracic exercises for a few days. Phfew, it's very uncomfortable, which I am sure indicates I really need it.

I am trying to work massaging the atlas, too, although never having had it done to me, I am in the trying to figure it out stage. I watched the video, looked at pictures online, etc.

Thanks for all your informative, well-organized posts. I appreciate them.

Husband of

@valentinelynx

I developed a neck stretching physio, to relax neck muscle and stretch neck spine. I believe it is much softer than a true traction, but it is already a traction with the power of your head weight only.
you can do it either standing, either sit;

(I found this when I was looking for a way to relieve my ear plugged:

https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/ear-pressure-plugged-ears-clogged-ears.53423/#post-898499
)

it is a bit like that, but with the body and head BETWEEN THE LEGS (this mean legs apart);

You must relax you neck and let your head weight pull your spine toward the floor)

View attachment 32760

so it is a bit like that, BUT WITH THE ARMS HANGING BETWEEN THE LEGS

View attachment 32761
Dr hauser thinks a lot of issues come from prolonged head forward position, causing a disc to slip forward (I think) which can then compress the jugular vein (I think).

If this is the case, I would think the above exercises would be a bad idea, given they are creating a neck forward position. Maybe it's ok because the bend in the neck is further down? Maybe I f you elevated the bum a bit more it would help ensure the top part of the spine is straight.

Lying in your back and hanging your head over the end of the bed might be better. Although you wouldn't want to do it too long as it can creat a lot of stress on your neck and shoulder and back muscles

Also, if compressing the jugular veins causes issues (I think this was discussed in a video about eye issues, so may not be the root of all issues), then those inflatable collars could make things worse

Last edited: