• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ear pressure (Plugged Ears/Clogged Ears)

pattismith

Ear canal pressure can result from several conditions, like a change in pressure in the environment, sinus inflammation, ear inflammation or problem with the temporomandibular joint, but it can also be a problem of neck muscles. While I do suffer from this latest condition, I find some interesting links about it:

So how does tension in neck cause pressure in ears? If you are like many people who experience this from time to time, then you know how discomforting this can be. Often, the pressure in the ears is so intense it can cause you to have problems with your balance.

Tightness in the ear can occur for a number of different reasons, including sinus infections, allergies, etc. However, there are specific correlations made between the pressure in the ears and neck tension. Certain people with muscle tightness in the neck and shoulders are susceptible to this type of pressure in the ears.

Read the rest of the article at the following link:
http://www.mademan.com/mm/how-does-tension-neck-cause-pressure-ears.html
more info at this link:
http://www.ctds.info/plugged-ears.html

What we can do to relase the ear pressure:

Ear Barotrauma
Ear barotrauma is caused by a change in pressure with respect to the middle of your ear and the outside environment. This is commonly seen on planes during the ascent and descent. In addition to swallowing, chewing gum and yawning, individuals can perform certain neck exercises to help release pressure in the ear. Start by dropping your jaw, placing both of your hands on the sides of your neck. As you lower your jaw, exhale slowly, keeping your fingers on your neck and under your jaw to make sure you are properly lowering your jaw. Breath in and out deeply several times while in this position.

Read the rest of the article at the following link: http://www.livestrong.com/article/424160-neck-exercises-to-relieve-ear-canal-pressure/

some other symptoms that can be provoked by neck muscle issue:

What pain and symptoms are associated with the Sternocleidomastoid Muscle?
    1. Sternal Division – This is the muscle head that connects to the breastbone(sternum).
    • Pain may be felt in these areas:
      • Cheek and jaw
      • Sinuses
      • Back of head at the bottom of the skull
      • Around one eye
      • Top of head
    • May also be associated with these symptoms:
      • Tearing of eye
      • Visual disturbances when viewing parallel lines
      • Chronic “sore throat” when swallowing,
      • Chronic dry cough.
    1. Clavicular Division – This is the muscle head that connects to the collarbone (clavicle).
    • Symptoms may be felt in these areas:
      • Pain across the forehead
      • Frontal sinus-like headache
      • Earache
      • Nausea
      • Dizziness
      • Car-sickness
      • Faulty weight perception of held objects
      • Hearing loss in one ear

More info about it (and more tricks to help this condition) at this link:
http://thewellnessdigest.com/sterno...es-sinus-ears-throat-pain-dizziness-whiplash/

Last edited by a moderator:

Learner1

Thanks for sharing this! This just shows that, as with many if our problems, there can be more factors than we're aware of...

The lymphatic drainage is a great solution - I've had an amazingly clear ears and sinuses with lymphatic massage.

pattismith

My chronic intermittent ear pressure issue was a concern since I am about 20 old (this is 30 years back)

Very interstingly, it had totally disappeared during the worst time of my illness= during the 15 last years....

And now that I am better after a few weeks taking all the mito supplements, it suddenly came back together with my muscles tonicity.

I got the answer from the articles I have quoted above:

The neck muscles put pressure on the ears which can clog them (each time these muscles get tensed, which can happen with stress, cold...)...So the muscles total weakness I experienced during my illness was protective against the clogged ears...
I should be glad that it came back!

Any way I just found a trick to remove the ear pressure that you won't find in the article above, and so I want to share it with you:

You can seat on a chair with legs apart.
Then you bent your body between legs and let your head point toward the floor.
You put your hands on the floor, and relax your shoulders.
You have to feel your head's weight stretching your upper spine and relax your neck muscles.

I call it the "earth salutation":)

I did it a few seconds/minutes, several times per day, each time I have ear pressure and each time I have neck pain...
And it works very well!

I suffer from constant neck pain (arthrosis) for 9 months and ear pressure again for 1 or two weeks and this simple way saved me!
I'm really releaved, because if I hadn't find solution, I would have had to marry my physiotherapist!o_O