• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Acetyl-Choline Overload

I never felt tired when I was overmethylated. I have figured out the source of the overstimulation of methylfolate and folinic acid, but the amount i need for healing and not being depressed also overstimulates me. Every day I have to decide if I want to feel relaxed and sleep well yet mildly depressed, or have bad sleep but great mood.

GreenMachineX

But have you tried niacin yet? When was the last time you used methylcobalamin? What else are you taking?

Last edited by a moderator:

GreenMachineX

It sounds like you and I have similar reactions to supplements and I’ve been trying to figure out my insomnia lately too, which started with me taking a prescription that enhances cholinergic transmission.

So, that led me to suspect acetylcholine but it‘s confusing because in the past, things that increase acetylcholine (like mestinon) haven’t caused this… taking citi-choline did make me feel bad but I don’t remember how.

I also thought of histamines so I tried taking a weaker antihistamine (it doesn’t cross the bbb as much as diphenhydramine or hydroxyzine), cetirizine, which only makes me very slightly drowsy. For 2 nights I’ve slept better with it but I still have some trouble falling asleep initially.

My brain also feels a little calmer during the day which is helpful because I’ve had terrible brain fog.

Cetirizine is only a weak anticholinergic, so I don’t know if it’s the histamine or choline situation that it’s helping (or maybe I’m just feeling better with a little more sleep?)? It might not be the answer to my problems but we’ll see.

Lemon balm used to help me too and it supposed to increase acetylcholine (decrease its breakdown).

My thought is that maybe it’s an increase in choline (increasing methylation like mentioned) causing the problem and not acetylcholine. Or it’s histamine… Or I also liked @Violeta ’s suggestion of tanking neurotransmitters, that makes sense to me too :lol:
Have you figured out your insomnia?

Have you figured out your insomnia?
Yes but I kind of threw everything at it so I don’t know what really helped me! Bad habit of mine. Plus my memory has tanked lately, it feels more like dementia at this point. So I can’t really remember the order I tried things, but Reactine helped a bit at night, I started taking niacin during the day sometimes, first thing in the morning butchers broom, and maybe just time passing after stopping the drug that triggered insomnia in the first place.

I started to sleep regular hours a while ago. Then more recently I tried taking a little glutamine for other reasons and I thought it would be stimulating but it knocked me out…? So now I take it at night (a very small dose). Same with ornithine, I took it for ammonia issues and it made me sleepy so I take it now at night.

GreenMachineX

Yes but I kind of threw everything at it so I don’t know what really helped me! Bad habit of mine. Plus my memory has tanked lately, it feels more like dementia at this point. So I can’t really remember the order I tried things, but Reactine helped a bit at night, I started taking niacin during the day sometimes, first thing in the morning butchers broom, and maybe just time passing after stopping the drug that triggered insomnia in the first place.

I started to sleep regular hours a while ago. Then more recently I tried taking a little glutamine for other reasons and I thought it would be stimulating but it knocked me out…? So now I take it at night (a very small dose). Same with ornithine, I took it for ammonia issues and it made me sleepy so I take it now at night.
Thanks. Do you deal with feeling overstimulated ever?

GreenMachineX

Yeah lots of things can make me feel that way! Overmethylation especially. Sometimes taking no supplements at all and just from doing too much. Or histamine.
What have you found to turn that off? Niacin works when I'm overmethylated, but I get overstimulated from other things too easy too, and can't figure out how to stop it so I can sleep.

What have you found to turn that off? Niacin works when I'm overmethylated, but I get overstimulated from other things too easy too, and can't figure out how to stop it so I can sleep.
Honestly not much, if the cause is overdoing it then I just have to rest better and wait it out. All the usual things that people do like no intense shows in the evening etc. The things I mentioned (niacin, antihistamines). Ornithine is really making me feel sleepy and that’s rare, so it’s supposed to reduce cortisol and one other supplement that’s helped me sleep (at times) is ashwaganda. It also reduces cortisol. Sometimes it does nothing but a lot of times it has a relaxing effect. That’s all I can think of…

GreenMachineX

If glutamine makes you sleepy, does glycine or magnesium glycinate as well?