• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Abilify- Stanford Clinic Patients

leokitten

And out of hundreds if not thousands of drugs tested by the nanoneedle they come up with Suramin.

The chances of the nanoneedle selecting just Suramin ( and the totally different benzo Ativan) and the drugs effects on IL-6 being similar to Arip and Amis are literally massive

Did tocilizumab work using the nanoneedle?

leokitten

@choochoo @hmnr asg @jaybee00 the thing with Abilify is it must be doing something differently or must be anti inflammatory in a better or different way.

Multiple people here have self-experimented with other known microglial suppressing anti-neuroinflammatory drugs, such as minocycline, doxycycline, and ibudilast, and yet none of those seem to work. Each of these drugs do also suppress cytokine release and IL-6. I’ve trialed doxycycline 50mg once daily for a long time and it didn’t have any positive effect on exertion ability, crashes, or PEM.

choochoo

Doxy helped me for a short time and thers lots of accounts of it helping in gulf war syndrome. Doxy might have knocked a few chips away but Abilfy could be a sledgehammer in more ways than one.

hmnr asg

Question for all the smart folk here who understand the mechanism of abilify. After week 3 and continually getting better on abilify, I have developed a very weird and sharp pain in my left temple. I did some googling around and the symptoms are identical to giant cell arteritis.

The only reason I suspected it might be related to taking abilify is that it started out of the blue three weeks after starting abilify AND when i was looking at the wikipedia page it mentioned something about IL6 which seems to be coming up a lot here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_cell_arteritis#Mechanism

I will be going to a doctor on monday. The pain has been going no for two days nonstop and its VERY bad.

*I do have trigeminal neuralgia but its affecting my jaw on the right side and the nature of the pain is completely different. So i know this is not that.

choochoo

Taper off over the weekend and stop it. See if the pain stops. If it does you can always switch to another dopamine regulator that has showed some success.

hmnr asg

What dose are you on?
I am on 1 mg of abilify per day. But I think I read somewhere that cymbalta could be increasing the potency of abilify, so maybe my effective dose is higher ?

I really don’t want to stop it unless I’m sure. I read that it’s very very unlikely that people under 50 develop giant cell artiritis, so I’m gonna go to the doctor and get a proper diagnosis before I mess with the only medication that has helped me so far. But the headache is weird and not like anything I’ve had before and it’s been going on for two full days now and it’s along the temple.

choochoo

I would taper down and see if the headache diminishes or eases. Maybe 0.5g. You are then halving the dose.

choochoo

How long have you been taking cymbals.

Incidentally, they're are lots of dopemine regulator medications to choose from if you need to change.

leokitten

I am on 1 mg of abilify per day. But I think I read somewhere that cymbalta could be increasing the potency of abilify, so maybe my effective dose is higher ?

I really don’t want to stop it unless I’m sure. I read that it’s very very unlikely that people under 50 develop giant cell artiritis, so I’m gonna go to the doctor and get a proper diagnosis before I mess with the only medication that has helped me so far. But the headache is weird and not like anything I’ve had before and it’s been going on for two full days now and it’s along the temple.

How do you tolerate being on such a strong antidepressant? I tried a couple antidepressants many years ago, they all amped my brain and body up too much and made my ME a lot worse. They didn’t work and had a very negative effect.

hmnr asg

How do you tolerate being on such a strong antidepressant? I tried a couple antidepressants many years ago, they all amped my brain and body up too much and made my ME a lot worse. They didn’t work and had a very negative effect.

I think if you stay on them usually it gets better but the first month or so was hell. Also I tried getting off a few times but I failed. Cymbalta is very very hard to quit as you may already know. I have trigeminal neuralgia and that’s the primary reason for the cymbalta. I’m also on Lyrica and occasional clonazepam. It’s not an idea life but having two major chronic illnesses ( cfs and trigeminal neuralgia ), I guess this is as good as it gets :(

hmnr asg

How long have you been taking cymbals.

Incidentally, they're are lots of dopemine regulator medications to choose from if you need to change.

Cymbalta for I think about two years now. I tried to quit but no luck.

What other options do I have in terms of replacing abilify ? I guess I could get some amisulpride from one of those sketchy online pharmacies. Hip has had good experience with it so might be worth it.

choochoo

Amusipride

PRAMIPEXOLE 'may' help although it is a different type of medication with a differentbaction. It has a better safety profile.

hmnr asg

Amusipride

PRAMIPEXOLE 'may' help although it is a different type of medication with a differentbaction. It has a better safety profile.
Thanks ! I have RLS also so my doc would probably prescribe it.
But I’m gonna wait a bit. I have been doing so much better on abilify. Even emotionally , my anxiety is lower also.
Thanks @choochoo , I will keep everyone updated when I find out what’s happening.

YippeeKi YOW !!

@hmnr asg , @choochoo
Taper off over the weekend and stop it.
A two day taper will guarantee more new types of pain than you can possibly imagine or want to deal with ....

This is s powerful drug, even in small amounts, and if you've been taking it for more than a couple of weeks, there's gonna be pretty consequential backlash without a sufficiently long taper, unless you're one of the genetically lucky ones .... not a chamber I'd want to spin ....

leokitten

I think if you stay on them usually it gets better but the first month or so was hell. Also I tried getting off a few times but I failed. Cymbalta is very very hard to quit as you may already know. I have trigeminal neuralgia and that’s the primary reason for the cymbalta. I’m also on Lyrica and occasional clonazepam. It’s not an idea life but having two major chronic illnesses ( cfs and trigeminal neuralgia ), I guess this is as good as it gets :(

Sorry to hear that. Though antidepressants are not considered a treatment for trigeminal neuralgia?

Why not take Botox injections or other known effective treatments for trigeminal neuralgia? I’m pretty sure your temple pain is this more than anything else, since it’s exactly where the pain is for that disease. It could just be slightly different feeling or moved a bit because of your new meds.

choochoo

Also several years years ago I met a globally recognised scientist in the field of anti-oxidants, from Emory University in Atlanta.

He explained to me how much of his research funding was obtained. This was by parties with vested interests giving him money to find almost "anything" positive ( for marketing purposes ) and specifically and contractually told not to report on ANY negative effects.

He told me to forget about supplements in general unless rigorous medical testing uncovered something distinct that I was lacking.

I will go further. He told me that as far as he was concerned, glutathione was the exception to the rule. But, he told me even that is dodgy ground because evidence of "significant and meaningful" bioavailabilty was thin on the ground. His answer? Eat plenty of cysteine containing foods including anything green.