• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is there such a thing as to much rest with CFS?

Mij

My thinking is that if I'm not experiencing PEM after power walking and get adequate rest in between then I'm o.k. But, I don't know that for sure.

I've reached a level where I can power walk up to an hour twice a week. I haven't been out in the last year though because I've had a set back with menopause and constant immune problems.
I'm being very careful.

halcyon

If everything was so clear-cut I would be in remission from ME because I can now walk for 5 minutes a day without PEM, whereas 6 months ago I couldn't?
If you walk 10 minutes instead and get the post exertional symptoms then no, you're clearly not in remission. You've experienced improvement perhaps.

ryan31337

That was my original point, everything is variable so I don't see how one could categorically say walking for those 5 minutes would be harmful without context, let alone saying any exertion is harmful without any frame of reference (for both your state and the level of exertion).

That said maybe the internal damage is still being done regardless, but somehow in a less apparent way... cheerful thought :thumbdown:

Last edited:

u&iraok

If everything was so clear-cut I would be in remission from ME because I can now walk for 5 minutes a day without PEM, whereas 6 months ago I couldn't?

I've reached a level where I can power walk up to an hour twice a week. I haven't been out in the last year though because I've had a set back with menopause and constant immune problems.
I'm being very careful.

It really is interesting how subjective our experiences are. From my point of view, Ryan's walking 5 minutes is not exercise per se and Mjj's power walking for an hour is a huge athletic feat that I would think no person with ME/CFS could do!

I wonder at all the things that make up who we are and our ability to handle things and interpret our health states.

I always feel like I can't tell where I am on the scale. I walk for 15-30 minutes twice a week doing errands and such and at work I mostly sit down but walk stairs several times a day and lift big files several times a day. That's all I can do and the errands tire me out somewhat the next day and the day after.

My back is stiff and a little painful right now but I'm not sure if that's from lifting too much the day before combined with the stress of running over a big piece of metal that stuck in my tire or from doing Fredd's protocol.

Mij

I always feel like I can't tell where I am on the scale. I walk for 15-30 minutes twice a week doing errands and such and at work I mostly sit down but walk stairs several times a day and lift big files several times a day. That's all I can do and the errands tire me out somewhat the next day and the day after.

If you're walking 15-30 minutes twice a week, doing errands, working (even when sittiing), climbing stairs then you're doing more than me. . I go grocery shopping and do some errands every 2 weeks when a friend has the time to drive me around, in between I'm not really doing too much walking, I'm cooking and cleaning a bit but that's all.

One thing, I can not keep going even in small amounts continually. When I thought I recovered (after six years of illness) I returned to work feeling 95%, within 2 weeks of working every day I started losing my balance and my legs were shaking with weakness. I went downhill from there and after 3 weeks I became completely disabled.

u&iraok

If you're walking 15-30 minutes twice a week, doing errands, working (even when sittiing), climbing stairs then you're doing more than me. . I go grocery shopping and do some errands every 2 weeks when a friend has the time to drive me around, in between I'm not really doing too much walking, I'm cooking and cleaning a bit but that's all.

One thing, I can not keep going even in small amounts continually. When I thought I recovered (after six years of illness) I returned to work feeling 95%, within 2 weeks of working every day I started losing my balance and my legs were shaking with weakness. I went downhill from there and after 3 weeks I became completely disabled.

So you are saying that if you completely rest and don't do small things continually then you can power walk for an hour twice a week? That makes sense, I think.

hellytheelephant

I have found that one of the biggest challenges with ME is letting go of the idea that exercise is 'good' and makes you 'fit'. It is really frustrating to be unable to be active in any way without consequences that leave you in bed for days.
If it helps, remind yourself that the reason you are unfit is not because you don't exercise...it is because your body is broken.
That is not a pleasant thought but if it keeps you from overdoing it them I'm glad!