• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

I'm 100% better, can function again

TigerLilea

EBV can go dormant and come out years later due to a number of reasons...........big time stress being one. Plus their are numerous strains of EBV. You might have caught a different strain.
My symptoms with CFS are completely different than when I had mono back in high school. With mono I couldn't stay awake and slept for weeks straight. With CFS I have exhaustion without sleepiness.

Hi . I'm on Provigil and for me (but i know that it works only a subgroup of ME/CFS patients) it really changed my life. Unfortunately it only works every 4/5 days. If i use it the second day i become extremely fatigued (more than the terrible normal situation) with extremely dehydration and eczemas. Since today i'm too on Phenypiracetam , without provigil i cannot see great differences (as if it doesn't help). After how many hours did you feel Phenylpiracetam worked for you ?
By the way, Provigil / Modafinil is included in the possibly helpful drugs for fatigue in the Italian Agenas Guidelines for ME/CFS (see attached file).
Any other experience ?
estratto farmaci me cfs linee guida agenas.png

i'm very interested in this topic. I tried Phenylpiracetam without Modafinil (which is the real drug which helps me a lot, but unfortunately is doesn't work on the second day, so i can use it only every 4/5 days...) and i had a bad feel , as being over excitated mentally but with more fatigue, for example for walking or going outside..... no nice effect...
I took 100mg for three days then I abandoned it. But a friend is going to try it....

drob31

I have both ME/CFS brain fog and ADHD caused by meningitis, so reading is now difficult, and I find everything confusing!

I bought some phenylpiracetam, and tried doses up to 100 mg, and although it made me feel a bit more alert and clear minded, and boosted motivation, I also felt a little flatter in terms of my emotions. However, I do suffer from anhedonia and blunted affect (emotional flatness) anyway, so I am prone to this.

Piracetam I find has similar cognitive benefits, but produces far stronger levels of anhedonia and blunted affect, so I rarely use piracetam nowadays (but I successfully used piracetam for many years before getting ME/CFS).

However, I don't think this blunted affect side effect will occur in other ME/CFS patients trying phenylpiracetam, unless you suffer from blunted affect to start with.

The interesting thing I found with phenylpiracetam is that even on just a 50 mg dose, its cognitive and motivational benefits seem to last well into the next day.

Whereas I find piracetam wears off after half a day or so, and I find aniracetam wears off after just 2 or 3 hours.

Noopept 30 mg tends to work best for me, though technically this is not a drug of the racetam class.

I know this is an old post, but @Hip , have you ever tried pregnenelone for emotional flatness?

Hip

I know this is an old post, but @Hip , have you ever tried pregnenelone for emotional flatness?

I have, but have not noticed that much. I find pregnenolone may help a little with the emotional / stress sensitively symptoms of ME/CFS, but not really for the emotional flatness symptoms of ME/CFS. The supplements I do find help boost emotions a bit are listed in this post.

I wonder whether the emotional flatness might come from the HPA-axis dysfunction, since the hypothalamus plays a role in emotional responses.

Cipher

Administrator
Hi @Hip! What's your current view on noopept, phenylpiracetam and other racetams? Do you feel like you develop tolerance against some/all of the effects that you get from them? Do you cycle any of them?

Hip

Hi @Hip! What's your current view on noopept, phenylpiracetam and other racetams? Do you feel like you develop tolerance against some/all of the effects that you get from them? Do you cycle any of them

I have tried quite a few racetams, but I always go back to the original and in my experience the best racetam: piracetam.

I don't use it much though because ever since developing ME/CFS, I found that piracetam causes an emotion-flattening side effect. But if I need to focus on a complex task, I will take some piracetam for a day or two, to get the task done. It's one of the only things I have found that counters the brain fog.

Cipher

Administrator
I have tried quite a few racetams, but I always go back to the original and in my experience the best racetam: piracetam.

I don't use it much though because ever since developing ME/CFS, I found that piracetam causes an emotion-flattening side effect. But if I need to focus on a complex task, I will take some piracetam for a day or two, to get the task done. It's one of the only things I have found that counters the brain fog.

Thanks @Hip! Have you tried Selank or Semax?