• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. flong

Ascorbic Acid Worsening Candida

I have a 23andme from October 2017 so it's missing most of the genes, but I didn't come up with any of the first 7 or 8 risk alleles. If anyone is interested in the site it's here: https://www.geneticlifehacks.com/genetic-variants-that-cause-g6pd-deficiency/
  2. flong

That's really interesting! Do you have a source? I'd love to read about it. I'm trying to figure out whether I should try higher doses of vitamin C myself.
  3. flong

OAT - Organic Acid Testing - is it useful?

I had Great Plains and am pretty happy with it. It seems like a lot of naturopaths use Genova though, I'm not sure why exactly. I've been following Dr. Daniel Kalish and he uses Genova because one of his mentors helped design it. Maybe someone can elaborate?
  4. flong

OAT - Organic Acid Testing - is it useful?

It's been the single most important test regarding nutritional markers I've had. Serum tests show levels in the blood, but the Organic Acids test can show how your cells are using nutrients, as well as a host of other things. For example, the amount of B6 in my blood seems fine, but the amount...
  5. flong

B6 VITAMIN PROBLEMS

I've read this, but never seen any evidence of it. It would be an easy answer, that's for sure. I've read that gut bacteria can produce folate and even folic acid. My folate is super high and I still don't know why. According to my OAT I've got a few markers for yeast, fungal and bacteria, but...
  6. flong

Should Vitamin C be taken if you have high levels of dopamine and noreadrenaline?

I've been trying to figure out what's causing my low vitamin C levels and high folate serum levels. I have high Uric Acid, but don't know how that relates. I'm just reading that Vitamin C is used in "Folic acid activation. To tetrahydrofolate (THF)." How does this relate to low vitamin C and...
  7. flong

Strange Symptoms - No Answers - PLEASE HELP

Just wondering if there was any update? @shelin
  8. flong

Any Chemical Change triggers Stress Response

Yes! That's exactly what it's like for me too. I have suspected mitochondria as well as damaged cell walls. I had an OAT done but don't really understand some of the results, but I've got very high 2-Oxoglutaric and very high 3-Hydroxyglutaric, which is apparently a problem, but I have no idea...
  9. flong

I just want to add, this whole thing is the physical system going out of balance and causing the stress response. My mood is actually very calm, even when it's happening. This is NOT getting stressed/anxious about something and then the system reacts to it. It's the opposite.
  10. flong

So this is what's happening and has been for a long time: Pretty much any chemical change happens in my body, and the system sends out a red alert causing a physical anxiety that can last for days...and even weeks at a time. Most recently it was triggered by my switch from one brand of zinc...
  11. flong

High Bacterial Markers

Nah, I edited it. Still my mistake!
  12. flong

High Bacterial Markers

I think vitamin C stores get used up really fast when we're fighting infection or other illnesses. This was posted in another thread, really interesting info regarding vitamin C...
  13. flong

High Bacterial Markers

Both of these seem to be linked to styrene and paraben exposure. Both of these articles mention these acids directly: http://www.hmdb.ca/metabolites/HMDB0000669 https://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ingredient/704450/4-HYDROXYBENZOIC_ACID/#.W4QcG8InZhF Which is interesting, because I also have very high...
  14. flong

High Bacterial Markers

Oops! I mean very high 2-Hydroxyphenylacetic. Not 4-Hydroxyphenylacetic. All four Clostridia-related markers came back below the median.
  15. flong

High Bacterial Markers

I have two specific Bacterial Markers from my OAT that I'm still confused about: Very high 2-Hydroxyphenylacetic and very high 4-Hydroxybenzoic. There's definitely a major digestive issue happening, I'm just wondering if these levels are related somehow? Thanks.
  16. flong

Two brands of Zinc Citrate with different fillers?

I have been using this brand for about 9 months now... https://www.thorne.com/products/dp/cdn-zinc-citrate I ran out, and the other day I bought this... https://www.sisu.com/our-products/zinc-citrate The only difference is that now I'm getting magnesium stearate, stearic acid in the new...
  17. flong

B6 Puzzle

Two things. First, as per your recommendation and others, I'm starting with a tiny amount of L-Ascorbic Acid powder. I noticed the first two days I took it that "good" kind of tired like after a long, hard workout, and an amazing sleep. Both nights I dreamed about taking more and couldn't stop...
  18. flong

B6 Puzzle

Thanks so much for all this. I'm just wondering where a good place to start would be. Getting L-Ascorbic Acid is easy. One question I have is when I take it, does the Vitamin C start attacking my damaged cells like it would cancer cells? Would taking b6 be a good start? What about rebuilding...
  19. flong

B6 Puzzle

Thanks for the link. I'm sure things got damaged from poor diet, stress, alcohol use, general toxins, anything really. For some reason though it's progressive. It's very possible the membrane hasn't been able to recover because it hasn't been getting the right nutrients? Sounds like a vicious...
  20. flong

B6 Puzzle

This is facinating. It's funny you mention the cell membrane too. Could the malabsorption at the cellular level be nutrient specific like this? I have a double mutation in the PEMT gene associated with cell membrane issues as well. Looking up the Lipid Replacement therapy you mentioned...
  21. flong

B6 Puzzle

It's taken me this long to sit down with the info and go over it. I think I get it now. It actually makes sense, and it seems like it's a possibility in my case. It's interesting to see this stuff and how it works, but I'm still trying to figure out why it's happening. There's a definite gut...
  22. flong

B6 Puzzle

Here is my B6 serum test, and my B6 Pyridoxic level from the Organic Acids test. Does anyone know what would cause such a low level of Pyridoxic acid from the cell when there's apparently plenty of B6 in my blood? *did I post this in the right place?
  23. flong

Very high b12 and folate

I have a very elevated Uracil with normal Thymine...also very elevated folate serum level. What does this mean exactly? Also showing some bacterial markers and also Carboxycitric very elevated.
  24. flong

Very high b12 and folate

I keep reading this, but I've never seen any actual research indicating this. Does anyone know if this is a fact or just a theory?
  25. flong

Is there any evidence of candida directly causing low vitamin C levels in humans?
  26. flong

I had an Organic Acids test done a month and a half ago, and with a median range of 10-200 Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) mine came back a 0.49. Could this level actually be CAUSED by candida, or by a fungal/yeast overgrowth? According to the test I have very high carboxycitric under the Yeast and...
  27. flong

Folic Acid Overdose and subsequent landslide

Does anyone know how I can tell in more detail which types of infections I have according to the test?
  28. flong

It sure seems like there are some fungal, yeast, and bacterial infections. I'd started taking Pau D'arco about two months ago, and finally got up to the recommended amount a week ago. It's made such a big difference in anxiety, and it's happened slowly as the herb has apparently been killing off...
  29. flong

For sure, here they are!
  30. flong

I got the Organic Acids Test back. There certainly is a lot to cover here, so I'll just post the ones that were indicated as high or low. There were 9 of 76 indicators of either low or high (L and H). I am all ears when it comes to this stuff, if anyone has some input it is more than welcome...