• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

See the Shocking Moment She Went From Crippled and Bed-Ridden to Dancing in Worship

Min

Also, even if her wasted muscles and her poor bones suddenly recovered, if she was bedbound for 9 years then how on earth did she get to church before the alleged miracle? Was she wheeled in on a hospital bed? How did someone with such severe myalgic encephalomyelitis cope with that?

I do respect people's religious beliefs, but the story rings as true to me as the bedbound Lightning Process participants who somehow managed to do a three day course BEFORE they recovered. These sort of claims seem to be made for conditions that have no diagnostic test.

Last edited:

Ambrosia_angel

Also, even if her wasted muscles and her poor bones suddenly recovered, if she was bedbound for 9 years then how on earth did she get to church before the alleged miracle? Was she wheeled in on a hospital bed? How did someone with such severe myalgic encephalomyelitis cope with that?

I do respect people's religious beliefs, but the story rings as true to me as the bedbound Lightning Process participants who somehow managed to do a three day course BEFORE they recovered. These sort of claims seem to be made for conditions that have no diagnostic test.

This isn't in referral to your opinion. But being bedbound doesn't mean your bedbound 24/7. People who are bedbound do go toilet and do get up.

I've even seen an article questioning Justina Pelletier how is she bedbound and allowed to shower on her own. Well of course she can shower. Why can't she? If that's the only thing she can do herself to keep her dignity then why not. This isn't aimed at you in particular but just at the stereotypes of someone who is bedbound. Being bedbound doesn't mean handing over your personal care to others people or that you can't sit up.

I know it wasn't you talking about Justin's Pelletier but i just wanted to address it.

Last edited:

Undisclosed

If a person is 'bed bound' that means they are confined to their bed. As an R.N., I never met one person who was 'bed bound' and after 9 years could get up and dance around miraculously. If a person is recovering from any illness that requires bed rest for extended periods, it takes months and months of physical therapy to start repairing the muscle atrophy. One does not just get up and even walk across the room for weeks after something like this.

Let's not forget what ME entails -- being bed bound for 9 year suggests it was very severe. You don't just get up and go to a loud noisy environment after being bed bound for 9 years. She did say she couldn't walk more than 2 steps without her husband holding her up, yet she managed to make it to the church. There are too many holes in this story to make it believable.

This story does a great disservice to those who are bed bound because those that are bed bound couldn't possibly do this kind of thing. Yet, people will read this kind of story and it will confirm their suspicions that people with ME aren't as sick as they claim or faking it.

Ambrosia_angel

I wasn't really referring to the dancing bit in particular but you can be bedbound or mostly bedbound and walking/using your leg muscles. Not everyone bedbound has to urinates in a bag (sorry i forgot the word for it) and they can walk to the toilet. Just like people who are bedbound that can sit up in bed, use computers and knit (even if it's for 10 minutes max). This isn't so much focused at this women dancing as I don't know much about her but being bedbound doesn't mean are completely vegetated.

Undisclosed

I wasn't really referring to the dancing bit in particular but you can be bedbound or mostly bedbound and walking/using your leg muscles. Not everyone bedbound has to urinates in a bag (sorry i forgot the word for it) and they can walk to the toilet. Just like people who are bedbound that can sit up in bed, use computers and knit (even if it's for 10 minutes max). This isn't so much focused at this women dancing as I don't know much about her but being bedbound doesn't mean are completely vegetated.

If you state you can't walk more than two steps without support that indicates severe ME. Not all bedbound people are catheterized due to infection risk -- bed pans are the alternative or chairs right beside the bed that contain a removable bed pan. If you spend the majority of time in bed, then you will lose muscle mass whether or not you are sitting up or not. Many people in hospitals receive passive exercise but still have months of physical rehab to get them back up.

Valentijn

Just like people who are bedbound that can sit up in bed, use computers and knit (even if it's for 10 minutes max). This isn't so much focused at this women dancing as I don't know much about her but being bedbound doesn't mean are completely vegetated.
I'd describe it as being couchbound if someone is mobile enough to get to the bathroom, sit-up frequently, and get out of the house on a somewhat regular basis with a wheelchair and assistance.

Nielk

The bottom line, I think is, that seemingly a "miracle" was taking place here. Whether one believes in miracles or not, the question remains whether a miracle took place in this specific instance.

Personally, I would need a lot of clear evidence before I can judge here. Certainly, I have a lot of suspicion here.

Min

If a person is 'bed bound' that means they are confined to their bed. As an R.N., I never met one person who was 'bed bound' and after 9 years could get up and dance around miraculously. If a person is recovering from any illness that requires bed rest for extended periods, it takes months and months of physical therapy to start repairing the muscle atrophy. One does not just get up and even walk across the room for weeks after something like this.

Let's not forget what ME entails -- being bed bound for 9 year suggests it was very severe. You don't just get up and go to a loud noisy environment after being bed bound for 9 years. She did say she couldn't walk more than 2 steps without her husband holding her up, yet she managed to make it to the church. There are too many holes in this story to make it believable.

This story does a great disservice to those who are bed bound because those that are bed bound couldn't possibly do this kind of thing. Yet, people will read this kind of story and it will confirm their suspicions that people with ME aren't as sick as they claim or faking it.

Yes, that is my worry, especially as there is something being sold as a result of the claims (there usually is).

I am sure many religions claim unverifiable miracles.

Last edited:

brenda

I classed myself as mainly bed-bound when I spent all of my time in bed apart from short trips to the bathroom and kitchen. If I was not upright for short spells, I had to lie flat and therefore not sofa bound. A person who cannot get out of bed is paralysed.

When I was in this state, someone took me to a healing conference lying in the back of their car. I did not need to use a wheel chair for that short walk to the car but that woman may have used one with assistance. At the healing conference I attended, which was for people with ME there were beds at the back for those who could not sit in chairs which is what I used. It was a residential affair but I dont know if that one was residential but anyway she could have been taken there with a wheelchair. If it was a healing service the noise will have been kept down which it was where I was.

If a miracle occurs, then the muscles could easily return to full function without exercise. I don't disbelieve in the possibility though it is rare. I have seen real healings take place myself (and dodgy looking ones) though I have not been healed yet.

The care I got at the conference however was emotionally healing and at least they cared enough to try to help which is more than can be said for any atheist groups.

Last edited:

xrunner

Interesting. I am a religious person yet this totally turns me off. It's almost like only the "believers" merit healing?

Do we then get sick because we deserve it? Only if we attain a lofty level, can we dream of recovery?
Absolutely not, if you're a Christian.
If you read the Gospels you'll find cases of healings where the persons had faith but also cases where they did not have faith or even did not know who Jesus was. The conversion of Saul/Paul is possibly the most striking case of somebody without faith changing completely his way of life.
Or for e.g. in more recent times you may want to read Torn Veil, the story of Gulshan Esther a muslim girl crippled by typhoid and polio, who having never seen a Bible in her life was instantly healed and taught the "Our Father" by Jesus.

Nielk

Absolutely not, if you're a Christian.
If you read the Gospels you'll find cases of healings where the persons had faith but also cases where they did not have faith or even did not know who Jesus was. The conversion of Saul/Paul is possibly the most striking case of somebody without faith changing completely his way of life.
Or for e.g. in more recent times you may want to read Torn Veil, the story of Gulshan Esther a muslim girl crippled by typhoid and polio, who having never seen a Bible in her life was instantly healed and taught the "Our Father" by Jesus.

I am Jewish.

xrunner

I don't think its fair to say its staged. These sorts of mental healing techniques have been used for thousands of years to successfully heal illnesses.

It's got nothing to do with the mind!
I was in new-age territory for years then moved towards an oriental religion, I have practiced different forms of meditation for years. Then when I got sick I meditated even more, used techniques of relaxation and visualisation, did my CBT sessions and even tried the Gupta's amygdala retraining programme.
I either got worse or didn't change. At most, when I used to meditate I experienced some temporary relief from certain symptoms.

I'm not commenting on this video or this healing. I can only talk about what I have seen with my own eyes and experienced directly.
As a Christian, I have been prayed over many times and was never healed but there were occasions when I felt this power coming through my body. Times when I arrived to a prayer meeting completely shattered and then instantly felt restored. And it wasn't my state of mind, the emotions or me pushing. If you have ME, you know that never works.

It's a an awesome power external to body and mind and it's something you can't control or manipulate. It's not something of the universe we know or understand. I don't understand it and can't explain it but it's there. That's all I can say.

Ambrosia_angel

I had to edit my post.
I'm going to back brenda post. Being bedbound doesn't mean you urinate in pans and need someone to wash you. You can be bedbound and still walk, go to the bathroom and shower sitting. Especially with CFS. With CFS you can use your energy to walk to the toilet or shower then rest to recoup till when you have to do it again tomorrow.

Last edited:

Ambrosia_angel

It's got nothing to do with the mind!
I was in new-age territory for years then moved towards an oriental religion, I have practiced different forms of meditation for years. Then when I got sick I meditated even more, used techniques of relaxation and visualisation, did my CBT sessions and even tried the Gupta's amygdala retraining programme.
I either got worse or didn't change. At most, when I used to meditate I experienced some temporary relief from certain symptoms.

I'm not commenting on this video or this healing. I can only talk about what I have seen with my own eyes and experienced directly.
As a Christian, I have been prayed over many times and was never healed but there were occasions when I felt this power coming through my body. Times when I arrived to a prayer meeting completely shattered and then instantly felt restored. And it wasn't my state of mind, the emotions or me pushing. If you have ME, you know that never works.

It's a an awesome power external to body and mind and it's something you can't control or manipulate. It's not something of the universe we know or understand. I don't understand it and can't explain it but it's there. That's all I can say.

I'm not talking about CBT or relaxation..? I'm talking about healing techniques which have been used by people in different areas of the world in all different religions for thousands of years to heal people from illnesses. Its happens and science can't tell us why but it does happen. Rituals that cure and heal people from illness that tribes have used for thousands of years. They have nothing scientific behind them yet people benefit.

Nielk

I had to edit my post.
I'm going to back @brenda post. Being bedbound doesn't mean you urinate in pans and need someone to wash you. You can be bedbound and still walk, go to the bathroom and shower sitting. Especially with CFS. With CFS you can use your energy to walk to the toilet or shower then rest to recoup till when you have to do it again tomorrow.

I would call that "mostly bedbound". There are many bedbound M.E. patients. They have not taken a shower or bath for years. Some, can't even bear to have their hair washed from bed by someone else. That is bedbound.

brenda

Well obviously there are degrees, but l don't see a problem in saying 'bedbound' when the bed or lying flat out is needed for over 90% of the time, and the time when one can get up, necessitating recovery in bed. It means that life is not possible unless one is in or very near somewhere to lie on ones back as time is limited away from it but just as a person who cannot walk far could escape from a house burning down, due to adrenaline, getting out of bed may possibly be damaging physically but necessary psychologically. The fact that the person is not healing but still getting up to go to the bathroom, probably means that they should not be doing it and are technically bedbound.

Undisclosed

I'm not talking about CBT or relaxation..? I'm talking about healing techniques which have been used by people in different areas of the world in all different religions for thousands of years to heal people from illnesses. Its happens and science can't tell us why but it does happen. Rituals that cure and heal people from illness that tribes have used for thousands of years. They have nothing scientific behind them yet people benefit.

This person is not talking about a 'healing technique', she is talking about walking into a church and being healed. When has this ever been applied to people with ME as a 'healing technique'. This does not just happen. Rituals do not cure people from illness. If you are going to make fantastical claims, provide some proof. There isn't any. By the way, are only Christians healed -- what about Muslims, Jewish people, Catholics, Atheists, Buddists, etc, etc., etc..

I have not seen one person actually healed of anything via religion. And if it were the case, why this person?, why not heal the scars on her face? Why is she so much more deserving than the millions of people who go to church and worship everyday that are dying of various things? What about innocent babies dying of stuff -- why not save them? God works in mysterious ways -- doesn't he. Why are the rest of us being ignored? Sounds like discrimination to me.

I think this is just a money grab. :bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head: and it makes me sick!!!

Dreambirdie

work in progress
My story is that "God" has given me discernment to know what's real from what is a fraud. It took me a while to figure out how to use that discernment, but now that I have gotten the hang of it, it's a lot easier to navigate through all the useless bullshit that I, as a chronically ill person, am subjected to religiously. (double meaning in that word)

DISCERNMENT: I highly recommend it.