• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

“Christmas, 1991”

My 9th grade (age 14) journal writing I submitted to class …

It was December 24, 1991, Christmas Eve. I was in the car bobbing my head side to side as I listened on my Walkman to the pulsating sound of the drums on my new Tesla tape. “Mom, what time is it?” I asked. “Are we ever going to get there?” We were on our way to a fun evening of partying at my ole relatives’ house.

I started to doze off and then heard the car door open.

“Let’s go, David,” my father repeated a million times.

“I’m comin’!” I shouted.

We knocked on the door twice. “Come on in!” said my loud, obnoxious aunt whose voice I heard in the distance. The four of us went inside: my father, my mother, my brother, and me. My sister would be arriving later with her boyfriend. As we walked up the stairs, we could hear the roaring sounds of my aunts and uncles arguing.

The talking stopped and all of the attention was on us.

“Hi, everyone,” my mother said.

“Hi, Patty and Joe,” said my aunts and uncles.

Kisses were exchanged. I shied away as my fat aunt tried to kiss me. Afterwards, my brother and I went and sat in the corner and looked around. We noticed my uncles drinking beer and wine. My aunts were shouting and laughing. My mother joined in and became annoying like the rest of them. “This is real fun,” said my brother.

An hour or so went by and my sister showed up with her boyfriend. Everyone greeted them and then continued going about their business. “Let’s get some punch,” said my brother. The punch was spiked with vodka and brandy. We went over to the bowl and scooped up a cup each. We kept going back for refills. Then my aunt yelled at us. She told us to stop drinking the punch. After some exchanging of presents, we decided to go home.

We got home around midnight. I went to bed and tried to fall asleep, but I couldn’t. I was too excited about opening my gifts the next morning. I stayed in bed, sleeping on and off, and then got up at 3am and went downstairs. I flicked on the TV and watched It’s A Wonderful Life for two hours, then turned off the TV.

It was 5:30 and I decided to start tearing open my presents. I opened the biggest one first. Nintendo! I proceeded to open the other ones. I received money, Drakkar, clothes, tapes, etc. I was filled with excitement.

The rest of my family woke up at around 10am. I was sitting on the couch counting my money. My family came downstairs, sleepy-eyed but excited. I watched as they opened their gifts. I began thinking about how fortunate we were. Some people have nothing. I started to appreciate all the things I had, and felt quite satisfied.

Comments

Xmas 1991 was very significant for me, as I had just arrived to my new job and had been literally alone for 20 days, sleeping on the floor of an empty rental I'd obtained. I'd managed to stuff a chair, lamp and sleeping bag into the 1963 Plymouth Valient, which I drove alone, 400 miles. The Valient broke down locally on Day 2.

I was really enjoying being alone in this glorious house I"d rented, with a stunning view of the sunset each evening and no neighbor, anywhere nearby.

My husband and our eight year old arrived with the UHAUL, what was left of our possessions, and towing a 1964 giant Chevy station wagon with our wolf dog, being towed in side it. The dog was very upset, and I was very upset that the almost empty station wagon did not also contain my canoe, my new barbecue, the new bicycle and other valuables.

the whole group arrived Xmas eve, and my family was reunited together and my entire new adventure life started exactly then!

Later, I sadly discovered my husband, left alone to do this whole move, decided to put the least valuable items into the UHAUL first. And made the mistake of deciding he'd "come back" for the rest of it.

We arrange for a friend to move in, a friend who can Pay the rent. He may not care about the 47 leaks in the ceiling of the place we had just fled from.

This guy gets into a traffic accident, is in the hospital for a month, barely surviving and our possessions left there, were fully abandoned.

I won't continue to list what he left there. Of course I could list every item. Still.

Husband moved five huge boxes which contained a set of enclyclopedias from 1922, and the complete works of George Elliot.

My antiques are gone, no canoe and I've got 22 books from George Elliot.

Xmas 1991 was very significant for me, as I had just arrived to my new job and had been literally alone for 20 days, sleeping on the floor of an empty rental I'd obtained. I'd managed to stuff a chair, lamp and sleeping bag into the 1963 Plymouth Valient, which I drove alone, 400 miles. The Valient broke down locally on Day 2.

I was really enjoying being alone in this glorious house I"d rented, with a stunning view of the sunset each evening and no neighbor, anywhere nearby.

My husband and our eight year old arrived with the UHAUL, what was left of our possessions, and towing a 1964 giant Chevy station wagon with our wolf dog, being towed in side it. The dog was very upset, and I was very upset that the almost empty station wagon did not also contain my canoe, my new barbecue, the new bicycle and other valuables.

the whole group arrived Xmas eve, and my family was reunited together and my entire new adventure life started exactly then!

Later, I sadly discovered my husband, left alone to do this whole move, decided to put the least valuable items into the UHAUL first. And made the mistake of deciding he'd "come back" for the rest of it.

We arrange for a friend to move in, a friend who can Pay the rent. He may not care about the 47 leaks in the ceiling of the place we had just fled from.

This guy gets into a traffic accident, is in the hospital for a month, barely surviving and our possessions left there, were fully abandoned.

I won't continue to list what he left there. Of course I could list every item. Still.

Husband moved five huge boxes which contained a set of enclyclopedias from 1922, and the complete works of George Elliot.

My antiques are gone, no canoe and I've got 22 books from George Elliot.
Quite the story!

we call it around here Brown Stamps. (some people remember collecting S and H Green Stamps)

You accumulate those, and keep them in a back pocket, and you pull one out of the hat, so to speak, when needed.

so if I need to get mad at my husband for some reason, all Need to do is bring up where is my canoe?

And why do I now possess Barbara Streisand albums. (He moved the landlords record stash and forgot ours).

Why did you leave the Chinese dolls? (they were all from Japan, my whole life my "chinese doll collection" were from Japan)...

Why 22 books George Elliot? (they got thrown away, later)

And why do I now possess Barbara Streisand albums. (He moved the landlords record stash and forgot ours).
Oh no! :lol: Oh, but who has a more beautiful voice than Barbra Streisand? I hope the landlord was happy with the tradeoff.

~~~

We don't even know how spoiled we are here in the west. Even the very poor here live better than the people I know in India and eastern Africa, much, much better.

Christmases were so magical as a child, and I didn't know we were spoiled, but now I do. I couldn't sleep on Christmas nights either, and always got up too early.

I always feel grateful for having grown up in America.:happy-cat:

Last edited:

Blog entry information

Author
Cloudyskies
Read time
2 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from Cloudyskies