• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

4th of July, or a 5th of Vodka

The sprinklers have ceased scattering droplets of water across the grassy expanse. I am now amongst birds in the morning dampness - they, being the ones who dwell in and about the park. Whereas I am merely a frequent visitor - one who trespasses.

And then suddenly, there he is. Orange Julius. A tiny flittering and fluttering orange breasted bird. I know nothing of birds and their ilk. But this bird, as so designated, makes any and all trips to the park worthwhile. I watch in amazement, its antics clearly shown, capturing free flying bugs just above the grass line.

But that's not what this entry is all about. Let's instead rewind a bit, shall we?

Objectives and Motivation

The mercury measurement bled down to 108° by 7 p.m. Meanwhile, I was hoping for a more precipitous drop, something below the century mark would have sufficed. Avoiding heat stroke was my prime motivator - my goal while going outside during fireworks time.

Witnessing live fireworks on the 4th of July became important to me somewhere around mid-morning. I'd been enjoying my private laptop time (within the alcove portion of the cafeteria) when a dedicated member of the activities group invaded my space, karaoke sound system cart in tow.

It was her gear. The electronic components that would make her vocalized warbling impressively louder, via amplification (and possibly obliteration). She would be the mid-morning performer. The sole singer. The person belting out song after song unimpeded, uninterrupted, and likely underappreciated.

She didn't specifically ask me to leave the area prior to her 10:30 a.m. performance, but that particular message was implied (body language, tone of voice, sinister scowl). However, the precise moment of our initial interaction occurred at 9:45. So I had leeway. Hurray for leeway! And ramp up time.

Besides my particular chosen spot, there's nowhere else to comfortably hang out within and throughout the interior building. Indeed, my current stationing allowed for an obstructed view of the outdoors, more specifically, the inner courtyard. Better than nothing. Much better.

Meanwhile, each of the other hang out options within the interior of the nursing home yield to vastly unimpressive views, a never ending series of wall-to-wall-to-ceiling-to-floor windowless nothingness, subtle traces of abandonment, and outdated decor.

With an insincere smile splashed across my face, I nodded my head in her general direction, politely acknowledging her warning. Yes, I knew she wanted me to vacate right there and right then, but I was feeling rebellious, apparently.

Ten minutes later she turned up and turned on the music. Background music. Songs about freedom. Songs about Jesus and the United States. Songs about an invisible entity ceaselessly blessing America from sea to shining sea. And then Country and Western songs about military people being blown up in Iraq. You know what I mean, right?

With my earbuds wedged ever deeper into my ear holes, I turned the volume up even louder still - in attempts to blot out the high and mighty jingoism being force fed. I mean, I'm all for America. Or at least, parts of me are. But …. eh, I better steer clear. No need to offend the massed patriots amongst us during our nation's birthday celebration.

At 10 minute intervals, the lady that was soon to sing, kept increasing the volume of the background music. Louder and louder it went. But I held out. I wanted to teach her a lesson. Yes, that's exactly what I was teaching her.

I suppose my predisposition towards resisting gets the best out of me on occasion. It's my default mode. Always. And forever more.

Decisions - D.R.I.

Eventually the volume level reached a saturation point. I could no longer think straight. See straight. Curl my toes properly. You know, the usual things you do when you're getting sound-blasted into oblivion.

So I did what any normal red blooded American would do, I left in a huff. I headed back to my room. My Man Cave (um, yeah…. whatever the hell that is). And so decided to make do with what I had —- ummmm… nope, that's not right. In crisis situations most disposable Americans would default to their mass consumerism tendencies by going online and making binge purchases as a means to make themselves feel better and better.

Anyways, I went back to my room to listen to the people down the hallway moan and groan and cry for help. I went back to my room so that I could smell the smells of urine and defecated remnants. Indeed, I went back to my room in order to twist and pout.

Note on "Twist and Pout" : It's a blasphemous combination of The Beatles meets The Cure. Old school music. New school language. An affront to societal bliss.

Anyway, that whole series of non-events riled me up to some extent, so much so that I decided to push the known boundaries. Yes, I'd be going outdoors (against medical advice) to seek out fireworks displays great and loud. So there you have it, a treasonous act against the nursing home elite.

But the temperature. The temperature would need to drop. I wasn't willing to sacrifice my life in order to see fireworks on display. Luckily, the temperature dropped down to an icy cool 103° by the time I worked my way outside. True, there was a hot desert breeze blowing up my shorts. Literally. Keeping me dry. As dry as can be. But sweat equity is meaningless here in these environs. It's all about hydration.

8:45

So of course, following my covert escaping (and once I hit the bike path) my feeding tube machinery went on the fritz. Somehow, every time I go out in the evening for my evening roll my dedicated feeding pump ceases to function. It locks up. Freezes in place. Or boils. Broils? Something bad happens each time. So each time the feeding flow gets blocked I have to head back indoors in relatively short order.

Note 2: the new feeding formula is exceedingly problematic

Anyways, while making my approach I spied shadowy figures up on the pedestrian overpass. And I guessed correctly - they were my people - my homeless friends (well, some of them). It was Kelly and a couple others. The "couple of others" weren't really friendlies. They were more simply head nodding acquaintances. A slight wave of the hand people. Maybe an eyebrow twitch. Those kind of acquaintances.

More important than all of that, my timing was close to perfect. And from that high point above the valley, I could see and witnessed nearly a dozen separate fireworks displays. Blossoming flowers of showering light in the distance, defying gravity and all common sense. Colors a plenty. And then within closer proximity, m80s and m100s blowing up with some regularity. Roman candles launched sky high to the left of me, Roman candles to the right!

Yeah, for twenty minutes solid I witnessed streaking flashes aplenty (drifting west to east) riding the arid breeziness. Non-Stop action. And my friend Kelly was more excited than most, while the non- friendlies were focused on other more pressing matters.

Then after twenty minutes of seasonal abyss, I gave up. Too much heat. Too dry. Too all encompassing.

Kelly seemed disappointed that I'd be departing, but he also understood my hydration concerns. So I rolled back to the village of the damned - feeling alright.

Hope all is well :)
Howard

Vantage Points -
No Fireworks Images Captured -

Also note, I was a fair amount higher up, perspective wise, once the fireworks launched

IMG_20230522_204745__01.jpg

Comments

That's a super fabulous spot you found to visit to see the displays. Proximitity to overpasses...a surprising benefit from being centrally located.

I heard the fire works here....but I am not topographically elevated enough to see over various large trees. It was interesting how the sound never really seemed to come from the direction the fireworks are deployed.

Noise bounces and ricochets.

I"m jealous of Karaoke Lady. I can understand, you finally decided to let her have the spot, after a bit of push back. You are "a gentleman" (laugh). (sorry I know you don't like to be insulted).

Karaoke Lady doesn't care if anybody else hears her?

Is turning the volume up real loud, something we call Passive Aggressive?

Does anyone sing in the showers, at the long term care facilities?

Regarding Orange Julius

(I haven't had one of those in many years, we used to LOVE them)

Could this bird possibly be a "western" blue bird? Males have a reddish chest. They behave as you describe.

I don't think I've ever seen an orange julius bird. I have seen an oriole.

We don't seem to get a lot of colorful birds around here or at least I don't see them.

In the state where I was born, I saw lots of blue jays but one state over and I've maybe only seen one in all my years here. I think I hear them sometimes.

We do have gold finches and cardinals.

Someone on Nextdoor posted a picture of an indigo bunting they spotted near here but the picture was probably my first time I'd ever seen one.

???

@Howard if you see that julius again would you see if you can get a picture and post it? Just if you think of it and have a chance.

Last edited:
THIS IS BRUTAL!!!

Screenshot_20230712-220857.jpg

Not surprisingly, I've mostly been grounded. When I go out at 5:00 in the morning it starts off at 90°. Then I come back inside by 7:00 or 7:30 when it's already up to 95°.

At night time I go outside for about 20 minutes when the temperature is back down to 100°.

As it stands, we've had 14 consecutive days over 110°. The all-time record is 18 days, which they think we are going to break early next week.

Is turning the volume up real loud, something we call Passive Aggressive?

Does anyone sing in the showers, at the long term care facilities?

Yes, I think it is passive aggressive behavior. This person in particular is kind of aggravated with me, or rather, somewhat upset with me... For reasons I may one day choose to explain. :)

Sing in the showers? I am the only person who does that. I'm the only person who does anything interesting in the shower. Go figure!

Could this bird possibly be a "western" blue bird? Males have a reddish chest. They behave as you describe.

It could be, but the bird is rather tiny. Doesn't mean you aren't correct. But it's a brilliant shade of orange, perhaps almost into the red range. Never seen a bird like that until now. It may not be indigenous either. And again, I don't know how that bird stuff works. Migration. Integration. Subjugation.

@Judee

If I can get a picture I shall. But it darts around fairly swiftly. Not hummingbird speed, but quick. Real quick.

I hope those of you in the Southwest reaches of the country are ready for the heat onslaught. Then again, it seems Europe is having heat related issues as well. Thank goodness global warming isn't a real thing. It's a fake thing. Just like Coke Zero.

I've mostly been grounded
yeah, thats hot. Reminds me of growing up in the Hot Place and nobody had air conditioners.

I have extremely fond memories of In the Heat of the Night....Summer Nights version.

Apologies for the poor quality photo

Lets get that posted on the Audubon cover......

The flight angle makes it look like some kind of hummingbird
some are smaller than others....

If it's catching insects by flying out to them, and then returning to a perch, it MIGHT be a western blue bird. Or it MIGHT NOT!

iu

Giant Hummingbird from Wikipedia picture

...but wrong continent as they're in South America but perhaps he lost his way. I did read of another large hummingbird from Mexico that are also found in Baja, California. They found one of them in Canada. He'd lost his way.

Though the one in Howard's picture looks fatter and with a larger head so again probably not a hummingbird. :squee:

Last edited:
As it stands, we've had 14 consecutive days over 110°. The all-time record is 18 days, which they think we are going to break early next week.
Damn. Feeling grateful that the temps here don't get that high. Our highest is 105 (I can't seem to find the little degree symbol?) and it rarely gets to be that high. What is the average temp in the summer where you are at Howard? Any good thunderstorms yet? Usually by now we are having some good thunderstorms but we just aren't getting much of anything so far.

Sorry you're grounded.

Last edited:
What is the average temp in the summer where you are at Howard? Any good thunderstorms yet? Usually by now we are having some good thunderstorms but we just aren't getting much of anything so far.

Sorry you're grounded.

The average high temperature is 107° - but when I first came here to the desert, the average high temperature was 104° during the summer, that was back in 1987.

In the past five or six years the average high temperature has been approaching 110°, but not quite.

Nope, monsoon season has been delayed. Much of that has to do with the super cool June temperatures. Long story, so I won't get into that! LOL

We have a slight chance for storms next week, as the high pressure circulation will set up over or near the four corners area.

Yeah, grounded during daylight hours, minus an occasional 5-minute excursion to the Palo Verde and back. At least by 5:00 in the morning it's only in the low 90s - :)

monsoon season has been delayed. Much of that has to do with the super cool June temperatures. Long story, so I won't get into that! LOL
Yes, I noticed that the temps were cooler than usual in June. I thought or was hoping that might mean a cooler than usual summer in all. Ha! right

Glad to hear from you the past two days, @Howard. Those temperatures are no joke, and I'm relieved to hear that you holding up relatively OK.

Here in CA, when we have major heat waves, the demand for electricity to power fans and ACs often exceeds the capacity of our power grids. When the power goes out during such times, even the designated public cooling centers become useless.

I sure hope nursing homes have back up generators!

Blog entry information

Author
Howard
Read time
5 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from Howard

Back