• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Zinc Picolinate and Insomnia

GreenMachineX

I’ve been battling insomnia (terminal variety, waking up at 2am for good) for about 2 months. I’ve also been experimenting with zinc picolinate during that time. I’ve taken zinc carnosine, zinc aspartate, zinc bisglycinate and others over the years with no problem. I had no idea zinc picolinate could cause sleep issues, but I ceased taking it about 1 week ago and gradually my sleep improved until 2 days ago I got a full 8 hours without any sleep support at all! Then, yesterday, thinking that my angular cheilitis is caused by zinc deficiency, took 30mg before bed and have been awake since 2am again! I also get other symptoms like wanting to grind my jaw and fidget.

Does zinc do this to anyone else, particularly the picolinate version?

Sundancer

yes, it does to me. I think zinc picolinate is one of the better absorb-able forms. I had this effect with zinc methionin.

The naturopath whom I told this said: zinc has an effect on the strength of the ' glue' with which endorphins stick to the receptor-cells. When the endorphinic ( endogenous opioid) system is weak, this 'un-glueing' leads to too much 'lessening' of contact between endorphin and receptor-cells, so creating stress/fidgety/high muscle-tension/ craving to ( former) addictive substances ( sugar/alcohol/smoking/chocolate, you name it. Your 'soother')

I cannot today explain it any plainer, sorry...

he had research to underpin this, but I can't link it for you, I should have to search foor it and I'm sort of crashed these days

I even had that effect with 1 mg then stopped. Soon I'll try again.

GreenMachineX

Gotcha. You kind of warned me about this in that other thread too, and completely forgot until now. I’m going to stop it for a few days to get caught back up on sleep and then test zinc l-carnosine. I recent took it for about 6 months without any issues and stopped 2 months ago when I stopped everything. I’m hoping it’s just the picolinate that is bad for me and not zinc. I was sure yesterday that the lack of zinc has caused my angular cheilitis but now I don’t know lol. Getting this stuff sorted out is almost a full time job!

What crashed you recently?

I just experienced the same problem last night after taking 30 mgs zinc pic in the afternoon. Zero sleep last night and now I'm having palpitations. It's so irritating because I desperately need it to overcome this cough I've had for 6 weeks. My lungs felt so much better after the zinc, but now I can't have it. I feel so defeated and hopeless right now.

Did you ever find a zinc that did not cause insomnia?
My copper is quite high, and my zinc is low. This may have some effect if my neuropsychiatric symptoms.
I have tried picolinate and citrate, but cause severe insomnia. I don’t know what to do.

Gingergrrl

Does zinc do this to anyone else, particularly the picolinate version?

This is very interesting and I have been having sleep problems the last few months and your thread made me wonder if they are due to (or even partially due to) taking Zinc Picolinate at night? What dose do you take and do you take it at night?

This is a new supplement that my doctor had me start in March (in light of COVID risk) which is about when my sleep issues started. I take 15 mg of Zinc Picolinate (Thorne brand). After seeing your thread, I didn't take Zinc the last two nights and my sleep was significantly better. Although it could certainly be due to other issues or random and I cannot say for sure it is related to the Zinc yet.

Do you think Zinc should be taken in the morning? In my case, I am afraid though that it could interfere with my thyroid med (but I could always take it in the afternoon with all of my other supplements)? Thank you again for this great thread!

Last edited:

Peyt

I have heard that body can absorb only 7mg of Zinc at out time, so if you are taking a 15mg maybe open the capsule and take only half and see if the same side effect improve.