• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Yogic Breathing and Breathwork

R**

I'm not sure this is good for everyone with CFS/Dysautomomia. I do each until exercise until it doesnt feel right. Dont do every day but enjoy when I do and have breath.

The video drags, but was worth it for me. I wrote down the directions to make things easier. I'll share those... this probably belongs in another thread. I'll make one or find one.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-386913693756370208&hl=en

(it starts slow...)

Breathwork 1

2-5 minutes max

Site left heel against right thigh, right heel on topof left leg

Index finger to tip of thumb

Spinal Cord straight

Deep bearth from diaphram to to of lungs (Sense of Joy)

Inhale and exhale deeply, pressure same with each

No stress, ease, contentment on face

Take break, rest, start again

(for spinal cord yoga, same breath but sink in stomach gently after exhale, release, then inhale again)

body becoming enlightened, energized, aura expands, strong,

Breathwork 2

5 -10 minutes max

force air out as contract stomach inward (like vomiting)

do with ease, but force

exhale with force then relax

if tired, relax then start over

medium speed, not too fast if heart probs or chronic illness

expels toxins, diseases, impurity

unconscious and subconscious, systems of body fall into order

allergies, diabetes, sinus, snoring, asthma, concentration, incurable diseases, stomach, liver, acidity, gastric, kundalini awaken, vertical transformation

Breathwork 3

start 3X, 10-15 sec, max 21 in winter, 3-5X generally

breath in and out hard with noise

chin to chest

suck in stomach, navel upward

hold breath (10-15 sec?)

repeat

chin to chest

suck in stomach, navel upward

hold breath (10-15 sec?)

uterus, hernbia, gastric illness

Breathwork 4

10 minutes daily

nose

thumb on right nostril

breath into left nostril slowly

middle finger on left nostril

breath out of right nostril

inhale completely into lungs, lungs should expand

deep breaths inhale and exhale

rhythm in breathing

slowly, peace of mind, all the feelings,

rest in between

"my body systems will all awaken"

Ohm with every resting breath

rest concentrate on breath and mind

synovial fluid, ligaments, cartilage, connective tissue, arthritis, blockages in heart, kundalini awaken, divine energy and emotion, enlightnement, bliss, peace, light, energy, balance, varicose veins, nervous system rejuvination, health, anxiety, depression, parkinsons, migraine, blockages in nerves of brain, paralysis

Breathwork 5

close ears with thumbs

last 3 fingers on eyes close to nose with tips

index finger on forehead

deep breath in

deep breath out... Ohmmmm

rensions, afraid, suspicous, not trusting, hypertension, HBP, avoid heart disease, blockages in heart, negative energy, conscience, positive energy, migraine, paralysis, self confidence, concentration

Breathwork 6

Ohmmm...

twice while inhaling, once while exhaling (dont get this)

breath in

breath out... Ohm...

slow ongoing breathing

breathing with the mind

submission of arrogance, diseases mental disorders, spiritual knowledge, lies and ignorance, lose dark clouds within, one with eternal soul/superconsciousness

Breathwork 7

Thyroid: X2 -X11 day

squeeze throat like a fist

clinching

deep breath in

hold breath

chin down to chest

right thumb close right nostril

exhale left nostril

thyroid, snoring, throat problems, ashtma, phlem

More Breathing Exercises:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...-Health-Recommendation-of-Dr-Andrew-Weil.aspx

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
I think its amazing that they are able to target certain types of breathing to certain disease states. Some of them do look rather vigorous! I'll check the mellower ones and put this on the website when I put up my breathing section - thanks. Of course the yogi's in India or the east have working on these stuff for 1000's of years probably. It seems like a science unto itself.

A key for me with breathing is just focusing on it - not getting wrapped up in whatever physical/emotional state or event or activity I'm in and periodically paying attention to my breathing (or lack of it at times!) and letting it... deepen and my body relax. Usually when that happens my posture also becomes erect rather than hunched - I can notice a real increase in energy (got to get it where you can! ).

R**

I remember not holding my breath when I was 12. Became aware of it then. I think you are right, awareness, and I forget to check in most of the time.

I just do a few of each of the breathing exercises.. or did.. I am going downhill right now. Some days, no breath to do them, but other days, they felt good.. no where at his minimal number.. stopping when I felt pressure.

Robin

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
alternate nostril breathing=parasympathetic/sympathetic balance

Well, I am meandering between two threads! I posted about alternate nostril breathing on the Body-Mind Sensitivity thread, but I think I'll continue here as this thread's name is more on target.

If you care to go on a slightly esoteric journey on this subject, I'll give some interesting theory from the old texts on yoga breathing that is actually relevant here.

It is believed that the right and left nostrils are the "terminals" of certain primary energy channels (technically called nadis)--Ida and Pingala. Ida terminates at the left nostril, is associated with the parasympathic nervous system (vagus), is said to have a negative polarity, and be "cool." Pingala terminates at the right nostril, is associated with the sympathetic nervous system, is said to have a positive polarity and be "warm."

This theory comes from "Hatha Yoga" texts and yogic breathing comes under the category of Hatha Yoga. Interestingly, the two syllables--Ha and Tha, mean (Ha)--positive, solar, and (Tha)--negative lunar--hence the term Hatha Yoga though it is usually considered to be simply physical exercises or postures.

So...alternate nostril breathing is actually designed to balance the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems! An interesting experiment: we know that different bodily functions are associated with either the sympathetic or parasympathetic nervous system. So, while eating, hold a finger under your nostrils and see which one is dominant (harder to do while sleeping ;))

Is this a fun ride or what?

Sushi

P.S. disclaimer: I hope I didn't reverse the qualities of Ida and Pingala!

R**

Sorry to move the thread!

I love this info. Thank you.

Robin