• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

XMRV & Blood Supply Webinar Tuesday, Mar 29

Deatheye

What does this mean: ian lipkins presentation starts and then the text appears: Transmission of this portion of the prensentation suspended at speaker's request. The webinar will resume shortly.

I still hear sound.. is it only about the visual slides and why?

Wonko

dunno - I'm still mulling over the fact that living in the UK on it's own is a reason to bar me from blood donation in the USA - it appears they consider simply being in the UK to be as signifcant a risk as having a signifcant blood transmissable virus.

What do they know that I dont.

Lynn

Hi Wonko,

I think the ban is about Mad Cow disease. Also I guess there was a glitch with the slide projector on the webinar so Lipkin decided to not broadcast them because of quality.

Lynn

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
Dr. Mikovits has a very thorough presentation. I believe lots of new information on XMRV, mLV's and pMLV's (WPI grew the Lo/Alter virus) and they can all infect humans. New very high tech testing coming down the pike, some from Ian Lipkin!! She is working with a lot of groups.

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
Hypothesis is XMRV (and the others viruses) is causing a immune dysfunction which is stopping the body from controlling CMV, EBV, HHV-6 and other pathogens.

urbantravels

disjecta membra
I tweeted as much as I could manage of Mikovits' points from my @urbantravelsla twitter account. She was talking way too fast to follow, even if you are knowledgeable enough to follow all the science, which I certainly am not. At one point I decided that she must be verbally presenting a lot of her unpublished research to get it out there, but how I wished she would talk slower, emphasize the important points, and breathe from the diaphragm!

I finally resorted to photographing the screen when she had her summary/conclusions slide up:

* Data suggest there are different strains of Gamma Retroviruses that can infect humans
* Assays that capture the variation of these viruses in the blood supply are best, i.e. serology and transmission
* Technologies can inactivate infectious strains of XMRV in blood components
* New disease associations include leukemia, lymphoma, and the platelet disorder ITP
* Need more full length sequencing!!!

currer

No need to worry folks - Dr Mikovits is very impressive - XMRV is here to stay! No contamination!
A lot of the talk must have been her unpublished work-she has been making great progress. Found greater variation in XMRV and has been developing new assays to pick up the full range of these variants in blood. She has been developing more sensitive antibody tests.
She talks so quickly,it is hard to remember everything. But she was great!

EDIT I'm not criticising her talk - it is that my comprehension is slow. All the speakers spoke quickly, but those professionals attending could follow. I got the impression that the speakers were timed and had to fit their presentation into a strict time limit.

Ian Lipkin sounds really nice! and very clever!

Wonko

How can a virus which is essentially immune to G->A modification evolve naturally? with such a low natural replication rate, low copy number and that alledgedly hasnt been around for long?

Or is this attribute derived from an ancestor which was more prolific or at least around much longer?

Dr. Mikovits made a good presentation, somehow she got the slide projector working which was helpful (it seems only Ian Lipkin had an issue with me seeing his 'poor quality' slides). Lipkin was also quite informative re co-factors, testing etc.

I really hope Dr. Mikovits is further along than suggested by her talk.

shannah

Ian Lipkin presents very well; however, I was disappointed that his XMRV study hasn't even started yet. He mentioned it has taken months to set up and they will be starting soon though.

shannah

Did anyone else hear words to the effect that Judy is investigating whether XMRV could actually be aerosolized? It was about the fourth question asked in the Q & A.

currer

Thats funny - I heard it the other way round! -Yes she said they thought it might be "aerosolized" - the only retrovirus to do so.

Wonko

I got the impression it wasnt being looked at now but was on to do list (which seems to be quite a long list)

i also got the impression it wasnt considered likely because no other human RV's were but it was unkown atm which is why it would be looked at.

Deatheye

I understood it the way that they are looking into tranmission by air or start to look. But they higlighted that till now no retrovirus thats behaving that way.
Did anyone catch the details why the wpi is opening a new lab? The old one seems (safety / security reasons) not good enough for some tests.
Also it seems that CFS caretakers seem to tend to be positiv for MLVs? But not showing ilness sysmpthoms.

Wonko

research into treatments was my impression - a reasearch lab isnt the best place to have patients apparently

that and the risk of contamination of the research labs is why they want a seperate facility

of course I could be wrong but that was my impression - it was rather long and difficult to stay focused on.

currer

I got the impression that in her talk she concentrated on the aspects of her XMRV work which were relevant to a pathogens and the blood supply meeting.
Wasnt she talking about new assays they were developing to detect the whole range of (X/P)MLVs which could presumably be used to screen blood?