• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

WPI UK XMRV testing/study

Anyone make it to Ashford for day 1 of the blood draw today?

Hope that it went well.

I was down there today :victory:. All went very smoothly indeed....now the waiting begins ;)

Still no idea where a second destination may be for some of the samples (do i presume correctly thats what is meant by a split-study?). The phlebotomist said she thought all the tubes were headed off by Fed-ex to Reno.
I suspect we'll find out more in time.

Countrygirl

Keep checking the xmrvweb.me.uk site for Dr Judy's updates folks. Location information will be included.

R

ritzcarcker

I went yesterday To Ashord, and everything went well, in and out within 10 minutes. Have to wait patiently or impatiently for the results now!

jace

Off the fence
I went yesterday, Wednesday. I hadn't had a reply to the two emails I'd sent before, so I emailed Phlebotomy Services contact@ xmrv testing.co.uk (no spaces) and said I'd be able to travel at short notice. There is a coach that goes from near me to near the hospital in Ashford. I bagged the row of back seats, and got to lie down both ways ;)

I got a reply - opened at 10am, on coach at 12.30. tested at 3.40, home by seven. Phew. I really thought I was going to be left out. The experience was actually pleasant, well run, except me blood was on go-slow till I put my other arm in the air... It was also great to meet a couple of other peeps with ME. One guy had travelled from Australia! Makes my journey look like a walk in the park ...
:worried:not that that's so easy these days :worried:

There are still some free slots for April 13th. Go for it!

Anyone make it to Ashford for day 1 of the blood draw today?

Hope that it went well.

I went to Ashford Hospital yesterday and gave my blood it should be in Nevada by now on a little vaccation.

I will post my results when they come through for any one interested in how much if any XMRV is in the UK amongst the UK ME/CFS population?!

ukxmrv

The patient team in the UK have been doing a lot of work behind the scenes to make this a success. If you would like to send an email to thank them I'm sure that they will be delighted

admin@xmrvweb.me.uk

They are also collecting feedback to WPI to let them know that we in the UK appreciate all that they are doing to help us.

Countrygirl

villagelife;66105]I have heard from the UK XMRV patient group and they have said the samples arrived in Reno this morning

xmrvweb.me.uk received an e-mail from Dr Judy today confirming that the first 25 samples are with her. Everything is going well.

bertiedog

My friend was tested yesterday and she said there was a 3 page consent form which stated that they were also testing for other viruses. She got the impression they were doing this with the blood being drawn. Unfortunately she didn't get a copy of the consent form.

Did anybody yesterday read this or have you got a copy of the consent form?

I am going to be tested next week. Another thing she told me was that there was a Tesco next door with a cafe and you could park there for free.

garcia

Aristocrat Extraordinaire
Anyone arrive by public transport, i.e. train/bus?? If so anything to report on the travel arrangements?

VillageLife

Yes there was a consent form, I was so poorly I can't even remember actually signing my name on the consent form!
It all went well I didn't have to wait long, by the time I had read the form it was time to be seen.

There was a cafe in the main entrance, it looked nice enough but I didnt go in.

My boyfriends so lovely, there was a tesco store next door and he went in and got me a teddy bear - as a present for having the blood test lol. (He's so sweet!)

I was quite nervous during the blood draw, at one point I looked down at my legs and I was shaking! I'm so pleased I had it done though, one of the best and hardest days of my life.

The nurse told us the FedEx van was coming at about 4pm to pick up the samples and just as we were in our car about to leave for home at 4pm, the FedEx van pulled up next to us, the guy came out of the phlebotomy department and into the van went the small box with all our samples in. We followed the van to the end of the street, as it turned off for the airport - we went our seperate ways. As I looked back and caught one last glimpse of the van, I said a prayer for all patients involved.....

fds66

It all seems so much more real now the first lot of samples are there. Hope everyone is OK after yesterday and good luck to the next ones

fred

The game is afoot
We followed the van to the end of the street, as it turned off for the airport - we went our seperate ways.

And there went with it the hope of millions. :balloons:

Well done to you, villagelife, and your boyfriend and Teddy :Retro smile:

JAS

This is the start of a journey for us all, no doubt there will be twists and turns along the way..but we are all in it together, both those being tested and those who are currently unable to be...regardless of the result, this is for the benefit of us all and that is of great comfort. God bless you Villagelife...you are pioneering as were all those tested yesterday.

fingers2022

The patient team in the UK have been doing a lot of work behind the scenes to make this a success. If you would like to send an email to thank them I'm sure that they will be delighted

admin@xmrvweb.me.uk

They are also collecting feedback to WPI to let them know that we in the UK appreciate all that they are doing to help us.

Indeed, in the words of PSI's president ......."you bet!!"..........

.....and in the words of a certain lady up for canonisation when informed that first samples had been shipped...."cool!!"

....and a huge thanks to VL's teddy bear.

F

jace

Off the fence
Anyone arrive by public transport, i.e. train/bus?? If so anything to report on the travel arrangements?

Yes, I did. I got to Heathrow, terminal 5, then got the 441 bus. I got this from googlemaps, click directions, then put in your start and finish point (on the left of the map) enter and click public transport options. Terminal 5 is a link for just about all public transport - buses, coaches, trains and planes.

It worked brilliantly for me.

Back