• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Why is potassium supplementation needed in methylation treatmt?

Thankfully I had my DNA done and found out what B 12 I needed for years I was on crappy cyno and then learned about Methyl and taking that but never felt better, so then I realized after looking at Amy Yazko site, with my DNA COMT and VDR issues I needed hydrox b12 making a big difference for me..

Paralee

Please be careful with the high potassium foods (banana, avacodo, etc., they also contain a lot of B6. For some of us, there is a realy (easy) chance of B6 toxicity and it ain't fun.

Methyl90

Great Thread! exactly what i noticed too although serum potassium levels are ok. The moment you start using B12 and methylfolate the demand skyrockets. Would it therefore be appropriate to first try to support the mitochondria with ADENO B12? @Learner1

TinaT

(continued)
When the mold toxins and the gut issues have been dealt with, then it would be a good idea to take a potent multivitamin-multimineral to get your levels of essential nutrients up. If there are still issues after that, then you could consider the methylation protocol. As always, I recommend working with a physician while on this type of treatment. It would be a good idea to have a comprehensive metabolic blood panel run by your physician to see what your electrolyte levels are. That will tell you if you have hypokalemia, and you can guide your potassium supplementation by the level of potassium in your blood.

Best regards,

Rich

Hi Rich. Do you know whether potassium levels, like on a blood test, would tell me whether I hadn't hypokalemia? I can order those self pay. But wouldn't that just tell me my potassium level at the moment, which, of course, could change in a few hours (I'm doing B12 injections so low potassium could be induced and that's how it feels). I'm just wondering what blood test you seem to think would tell someone whether they had hypokalemia.

Thank you!!

TinaT

Hi, Stacy.

If you are taking B12, but aren't taking any folate, I don't think you will have an issue with potassium deficiency.

Best regards,

Rich

But don't we need to take methylfolate with B12 especially injections? I have been trying tolerate a little in multi vitamins bc I'm assuming I need it, with the injections.

Also, what's your opinion on whether we need glutathione before taking methylfolate? And why? The author of "Dirty Genes" claims that at least those with the MTHFR gene should (I don't know my genetic status, but I read that those people who have been taking antacids long-term, which I have, respond similarly to methylfolate). OTOH, I know Fredd says that NAC and glutathione should be avoided.

Also, I read somewhere that Tylenol wipes out glutathione. Do you know whether that's true?

Thanks so much!

TinaT

OK great! I take potassium anyway since I am on diuretic for blood pressure, so I didn't wanna get low cuz when i do, I sure feel it in my muscles even before this mess started with me.

I do not take folate, I did not have that checked.

thanks rich!
fyi my father had a heart attack last week (at the cardiac unit at the hospital - yay! they recovered him) and I was reading about magnesium because he has a horrible twitch that they simply ignore but we think had to do with the electrolyte problem. AHA has a study which says that serum magnesium has no bearing on the magnesium level in the atria of the heart but that epithelial magnesium DOES correlate (but they don't measure that - VERY frustrating). So I was reading about supplementing magnesium for the heart and read that it needs to be done with potassium as it can also cause low potassium. So..... I got the impression that when you correct many deficiencies you open up biochemical pathways that previously were not functioning and may of those pathways need potassium. So it is probably something to watch for whenever supplementing.

This is all very odd to me because I have been used to having electrolyte problems my whole life and always assumed they were due to blood sugar issues (which does make you lose LOTS of potassium), but now I wonder if it's just from being low in something and then repleting it, etc.

Triff

Be careful though ... if you have a urinary tract infection you cannot excrete potassium properly and it can build up. Do not even think of supplementing it then!

Hi. Do you have any sources where I could read about the UTI issue? I don't have a UTI. But I do have an infection in the vaginal canal. Can't remember what the name is now. I'm doing vaginal hormone ring to try to treat. I would like to read whether that condition might cause an issue when taking potassium, which I'm doing. Or do you know whether this applies to any infection? I seem to be tolerating coconut water and small doses (50 mcg) of potassium okay.