• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Why does pregnancy often banish CFS symptoms?

Athene

ihateticks.me
If Dr. Shoemaker were weighing in on this subject he'd probably mention how MSH levels go up during pregnancy, and that this has a direct anti-inflammatory effect, amongst other things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melanocyte-stimulating_hormone

That's very interesting.
Since I have ghastly pale skin and cannot tan at all (despite living in Sicily), would that mean I have an abnormal low level of these? My mother swears I used to tan really well when I was a kid, and I have read many times that being really pale is typical in CFS, so maybe it's something caused by the illness.
What do you reckon?

Dufresne

almost there...
That's very interesting.
Since I have ghastly pale skin and cannot tan at all (despite living in Sicily), would that mean I have an abnormal low level of these? My mother swears I used to tan really well when I was a kid, and I have read many times that being really pale is typical in CFS, so maybe it's something caused by the illness.
What do you reckon?

I too was wondering if folks low in MSH are able to tan well enough. I've read of a few people taking MSH analogs intended for sunless tanning because it seems to help with their mold illness.

You might want to look into pyroluria. That could certainly explain pallor and an inability to tan.

richvank

Hi, Athene.

Low copper can interfere with tanning, too. The enzyme tyrosinase requires copper. It is the enzyme that oxidizes tyrosine to melanin in the skin. So that's something else to check.

Best regards,

Rich