• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Why does even a hard lying mat tend to trigger PEM?

MartinK

Hey guys, I've been noticing a strange symptom for a while now - I'd like to know if anyone else has the same thing.
And can anyone help me to think about how it might have to do with the muscles when I have not yet been diagnosed with any muscle disorder.

The thing is that my muscles get tired quickly not only when I exercise, but also when I lie on a hard mat - and without effort.
I'm generally a bit better now and would like to try a bit of exercise, stretching, but this makes me very uncomfortable and I can easily get PEM - just lay on hard and I'll get worse...

The interesting thing is that it gets better if I take Pregabalin or Tianeptine - I just can't see how that could affect it!
The combination of these drugs for GABA / brain and muscle activity / muscle fatigue makes no sense to me at all...

In my case, my ME/CFS definitely affects my muscles and immune system the most.
However, in the past few years, I haven't found any connections - why, for example, some drugs work, from which I would have expected a completely different effect!

Any opinions friends?

linusbert

muscles react, contract against a sensation via feedback mechanisms. just by touching, something is happening. the nerves register the sensation and try to contract a bit against it (to maybe prevent injury). if nervous system is overactive they might over react - my theory this is. so having something which calms nerves can help with this.
i cannot have my feet slightly touch the end of the bed, otherwise i would get increased cramping.
or my head also needs a soft pillow otherwise my neck muscles will get stiff and problematic.

accupressure uses this mechanism for muscle relaxation.
for me its unpleasant though because my muscles tend to go stiff on pressure. a normal massage is better but has different side effects.

MartinK

@linusbert thanks, btw. normal massage give me a huge PEM! As well as warming up the muscles - there's just something really wrong with those muscles and I've been trying to figure out what for years.
You have the same problem?

My ME/CFS is 99% post-viral/post-infectious and the onset was rapid.

linusbert

@linusbert thanks, btw. normal massage give me a huge PEM! As well as warming up the muscles - there's just something really wrong with those muscles and I've been trying to figure out what for years.
You have the same problem?

My ME/CFS is 99% post-viral/post-infectious and the onset was rapid.
kinda yea, my problem is muscle cramping after using them. the threshold is pretty low.
and massage etc gives me this as well.
but a very light massage improves situation for like 30 minutes.

my onset was slowly my whole life.