• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Why does choline cause me to yawn and feel groggy/sleepy?

I have tried phosphatidyl choline a couple of times and it always makes me start yawning incessantly for a few hours and become groggy and sleepy. Then I just feel dazed and, well, "blah". I recently tried an EPA/DHA supplement extracted from fish oil (Thorne brand) which had a similar effect. Now my regular methylation supplements are starting to cause this reaction as well (when I had been having some good results during the past couple of weeks with increased alertness and somewhat more physical energy on Fredd's protocol).

Are these all related to a certain snp? Is there a pathway that is possibly overburdened which I can support by using a particular supplement? I have been pretty happy with the trial-and-error process so far and have been able to figure out what I needed to add just by searching the forum here. But this one has me stumped right now.

Any theories?

Stacey

Supplements I am currently taking (wow, it looks like a lot):

Transdermoil Adenosyl/Methylcobalamin - 2 pumps (morning)
Thorne 5-MTHF - 2mg+ 2xday (morning/afternoon)
Douglas Labs B-Complex w/Metafolin - 1 (morning)
Thorne P-5-P - 33.8mg (morning)
Thorne R-5-P - 36.5mg (morning)
Doctor's Best L-Carnitine Fumarate - 213mg (morning)
Jarrow Pantethine - 450mg (morning)
Biotics Research Mo-Zyme Forte (molybdenum) - 150mcg 5xday
NOW Opti-Zinc - 30mg (morning/night)
Cardiovascular Research Magnesium Taurate - 250mg 3xday
NOW Potassium Gluconate - 67.5mg 3xday
Country Life Biotin - 10mg (morning/night)
Doctor's Best Benfotiamine (B1) - 150mg (morning)
Biotics Research Se-Zyme Forte (selenium) - 100mcg (morning/night)
Biotics Research Mn-Zyme (manganese) - 10mg (morning)
Carlson Natural Vitamin A (from fish liver oil) - 25,000IU (morning/night)
Thorne Vitamin D - 2000IU (morning/night)
Thorne Vitamin K2 (MK-4) - 400mcg (morning/night)
Carlson Vitamin K2 (MK-7) - 45mcg (morning/night)
MegaFood Balanced Minerals - 2 tablets (morning/night)
Magnesium chloride (topical) - 10 sprays on my abdomen every few nights (too itchy to tolerate more)

Recently added:
Thorne R-Lipoic Acid - 100mg (morning)
NOW SAM-e - 200mg (occasional/not every day/just testing for a reaction)
NOW DMG - 125mg (occasional/not every day/just testing for a reaction)

Lipoic Acid *might* help a little bit with the yawning/grogginess but not sure (haven't gone crazy with this one due to sulfur). SAM-e brought on calm alertness the first time I took it but not since. SAM-e and DMG I think now both push the groggy feeling and make it worse. Also anything else that increases methylation (tried adding more folate in the afternoon, etc.) just makes it worse. I wish I knew where the possible blockage was and why choline, EPA/DHA, and the basic methylation supplements cause this reaction now.

I know I have a bunch of sulfur supps in there but my only sulfur symptom is isolated joint pain, and I usually take enough of the molybdenum to keep that from happening so I think I am okay for now with those. I had been taking the mag taurate for a few years before learning about my CBS issues but it is the most effective oral form of mag for me so I am continuing it. I don't feel any difference from taking the manganese, maybe I don't have much of an ammonia problem?

Also, in case this is useful--the supplements that have made the biggest difference for me so far are the B12 oil, methylfolate, R5P, P5P, LCF, and benfotiamine.

Stacey

adreno

PR activist
The choline is probably suppressing norepinephrine (NE). Acetylcholine and NE have opposing effects.