• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Why do I get blurred vision from Milk Thistle?

pamojja

My husband had the 1st two above and stopped tolerating it.

To stop tolerating milk thistle due to gastrointestinal problems in the short term is something maybe unrelated and different to long-term hepatotoxicity. Which isn't even mentioned in above list.
And both become hepatotoxic from long-term use.

Also from the same source https://www.selfhacked.com/blog/milk-thistle/#Dosage_and_Side_Effects:
Oral doses of Milk thistle (Silymarin) of up to 2.1 g per day were safe and well tolerated (R).

In an oral form standardized to contain 70-80 % Silymarin, Milk thistle appears to be safe for up to 41 months of use (R).

Milk thistle is considered a very safe herbal supplement.

Only 41 months because of study length only. Not one case of long-term hepatotoxicity.

jason30

High potassium in serum can simply be caused from taking the blood draw too fast. Did you have high potassium and high transferrin saturation repeatedly?

It fluctuates. Febr 2018 potassium was a bit too high again; 4,8 mmol/L (3,5 - 4,7).
I didn't took any potassium supps.

High transferrin was there as well 6 months ago. I have this new blood test waiting for me, which I will do next week. My doc adviced me to take food which is high in iron before the test.

This high iron overload is keeping me busy for 2 years now. Everytime I take an iron chelator then I get sick, pressure on the chest and more, and then after 2 days being sick I feel better. I discovered this for the first time when I took Rutin.

I didn't knew that Milk Thistle can act as a iron chelation as well. I didn't had this sick feeling though.

jason30

And both become hepatotoxic from long-term use.

I wonder where did you read about schisandra being hepatoxic after long-term use?

Hepatotoxicity regarding Milk Thistle by LiverTox Clinical and Research information
Despite its wide spread use in patients with and without liver disease, milk thistle has not been implicated in causing serum enzyme elevations or clinically apparent acute liver injury. While silymarin has effects on cytochrome P450 enzymes and hepatic transporters in vitro, there is little evidence that it causes clinically significant herb-drug interactions.
https://livertox.nih.gov/MilkThistle.htm

jason30

I have found a new similarity between Milk Thistle and Schisandra.

CYP3A4
Cytochrome P450 3A4 (abbreviated CYP3A4) is the most abundant detoxifying enzyme in the liver, and is responsible for helping to break down perhaps 60% of all known drugs. It also has an important role in the breakdown of testosterone.

I have CYP3A4*16 T185S +/+ (source 23andme). And this means already a decreased activity of this important enzyme! (source: https://www.ebmconsult.com/articles/genetic-polymorphisms-cytochrome-p450-cyp3a4-enzyme)

So I guess any herbs that decrease activity of CYP3A4 is not desirable for me.