• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Who are your favorite health gurus?

sb4

I find ray peat really interesting, have been trying to take him with a grain of salt, since he makes such strong/broad claims.

Yeah I completely agree and think the same of Jack Kruse. Both are really good and interesting but they seem to be pretty set in their theories and not so open to going back on them. Still you can learn a lot and entertain a lot of these ideas without agreeing 100%.

The real goal I have though is to read the primary sources peat cites, read some albert szent-gyorgyi, and come to my own conclusions. That's a long term goal, though, as right now I read extremely slowly.

This is also my goal. Read, read, read, and try to understand. I have found slamming my head against a brick wall of really hard stuff not so effective. It helps to try and learn more basic ideas and build up to advanced. I know this is obvious but it took me years of trying (and failing) to read jacks blogs without any solid foundations before I changed my approach.

I have a few books saved on my computer from Travis on the raypeat forums from Albert Szent Gyogri as he comes up a lot in peat and kruses work. I think it's related to Gilbert Ling, and Gerald Pollacks work on water. If you are interested, Pollacks book on water is very easy to read and very interesting. This really helped build my foundation of knowledge in this area. Another good one is "The vital question" (I think) by Nick Lane for a good look at how mitochondria work. Also watching Masterjohn for his stuff on the TCA cycle.

I haven't tried any of the more serious peat suggestions like supplementing thyroid hormone, but he seems to be obviously right about saturated fats, he's not the only one who says that stuff.

Yeah I think he's solid on saturated fat, avoiding PUFA, EMFs, and is very interesting on other areas also. I am not yet convinced of the high carb approach being good in climates and races that have low sun light but I am open to the possibility.

As for T3. I have some that I intend to use at some point in really small amounts like 0.1mcg after reading the T1AM thread on here.

frozenborderline

Yeah I completely agree and think the same of Jack Kruse. Both are really good and interesting but they seem to be pretty set in their theories and not so open to going back on them. Still you can learn a lot and entertain a lot of these ideas without agreeing 100%.

This is also my goal. Read, read, read, and try to understand. I have found slamming my head against a brick wall of really hard stuff not so effective. It helps to try and learn more basic ideas and build up to advanced. I know this is obvious but it took me years of trying (and failing) to read jacks blogs without any solid foundations before I changed my approach.

I have a few books saved on my computer from Travis on the raypeat forums from Albert Szent Gyogri as he comes up a lot in peat and kruses work. I think it's related to Gilbert Ling, and Gerald Pollacks work on water. If you are interested, Pollacks book on water is very easy to read and very interesting. This really helped build my foundation of knowledge in this area. Another good one is "The vital question" (I think) by Nick Lane for a good look at how mitochondria work. Also watching Masterjohn for his stuff on the TCA cycle.

Yeah I think he's solid on saturated fat, avoiding PUFA, EMFs, and is very interesting on other areas also. I am not yet convinced of the high carb approach being good in climates and races that have low sun light but I am open to the possibility.

As for T3. I have some that I intend to use at some point in really small amounts like 0.1mcg after reading the T1AM thread on here.

I've tried almost all of ray's diet suggestions besides gelatin and liver (I'm weaning off being a lifetime vegetarian and can't get over my disgust quite yet). avoiding pufas makes me feel better than if i had not, but it's in no way a cure. But I wonder about the supplements peat recommends--pregnenolone, progesterone, vitamin E, emodin, thyroid. I've been really scared about trying thyroid but people keep assuring me that if you use t3 in very small doses there's almost no chance of becoming hyperthyroid. I might rather find a naturopath that prescripes WP thyroid using their search engine, to supervise.

frozenborderline

wrt ray, what I find myself thinking is that even if he is wrong, he is making me ask the right questions. Metabolism and bioenergetics seem largely overlooked by modern medicine. still not sure about this ling cell boundary shit tho it sounds whacky. I do have a szent-gyorgyi book, but being this sick it's hard to read dense scientific theory, it really is. it's too bad because I think if i was well I could learn this stuff fairly quickly, but now is when I feel like I need to learn it. Szent-gyorgyi was a really interesting guy though. Member of the hungarian resistance, won the nobel prize for discovering the TCA cycle, wrote a paper on the "appolonian and dionysian in science", eventually became somewhat of a mystic, but had a background in very "hard" science... the whole field of bioenergetics is fascinating to me. It seems like naviaux's working in that vein.

frozenborderline

Could you please post a link to it?
https://web.archive.org/web/2013020...02/response-to-dr-paul-jaminets-rebuttal.html this is andrew kim's rebuttal to something jaminet said on fructose here: https://web.archive.org/web/2013011...80/perfect-health-diet-q-a-with-paul-jaminet/

and then here's just a list of all the things jaminet says about ray peat etc.:
http://perfecthealthdiet.com/category/diets/ray-peat-diet/

I instinctively think jaminet is wrong about fructose being toxic just from my experiences, but I can't quite understand the biochem involved. others might find it fascinating though. kim was a biochemist who liked peat's work and deleted his blog later for career reasons.

BadBadBear

have you seen the back and forth arguments between paul jaminet, ray peat, danny roddy, and andrew kim, over fructose? they have some interesting science

Oh yes. Best I have felt since getting CFS was when I was Peating. I actually convinced myself that I didn't have CFS for most of a year. Then I had the most epic crash I have had. ☺. Been crashed for a year plus since then.

I will probably try Peating again after the antiviral drugs kick in and I get back to a decent baseline.

EtherSpin

not gonna name my favourites lest it lead to arguments but I'll say this, there are a couple I like purely because they have protocols for type 2 diabetes,heart disease, autoimmune problems but they state either publicly or in private that they have no specific treatments for CFS or claims to fix it. one of these said so to my former Doc who herself was a CFS patient and went across the globe to meet and consult

alex3619

I feel a need to put a vote in for the scientists. People like Barry Marshall, who shared a Nobel prize for proving that H. pylori induced gastric ulcers and it was curable. There are a lot of people who give general advice, but only a few who take those extra steps and prove the mechanisms and provide a proven cure. Many gurus rely on research from people like Barry.

frozenborderline

Another good one is "The vital question" (I think) by Nick Lane for a good look at how mitochondria work.
I second checking this book out. Its dense. But if one is less than severely ill ans have any energy to spare spare it on this. Its been difficult to read while crashed but I'm convinced it will lead to a minor paradigm shift in his we think about bioenergetics and evolution which could eventually practically affect diseases. Its not a health guru book tho. But science writing and also philosophy of science : Thomas kuhn the structure of scientific Revolutions, for example , that will all help people build the right tools to comb through this research we have access to and figure out the etiology.

I urge people less ill than me to read those books. I can find copies to give away maybe if one needs them. Some have Audible versions.